question about licence of assets I use to create something on DS

yuyu.atemyuyu.atem Posts: 168

Hello,

I saw whan we buy something, it's possible to buy an interactive licence and a 3D printing licence, but there is no more precision about what I may do if I don't buy these licences. For example, is there a specific licence to create illustrations for a novel? May I create anyrender I want and share it werever I want? Have I to precice the creator of each asset I used to create my renders?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,605
    edited January 5

You can read more about the licences here: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-licenses

However, the short answer is that you do not need either of these additional licences if you are only distributing 2D rendered images (e.g. jpg/png) as part of your novel. The vast majority of items purchased at the Daz store already allow you to share your images as you wish.  The only exception would be the few that are tagged with the "Editorial Licence" - those can only be used in a limited way which would exclude usage in a novel, especially if you sold it.

EDIT: attached is an example of what the "Editorial Licence" section looks like. I would avoid any products that have that if you are doing projects that are (or might be in the future) considered commercial or paid work.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 14.08.28.png
    1148 x 336 - 111K
    Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

And you don't have to show credits to the authors of assets in Your VN....

• yuyu.atemyuyu.atem Posts: 168

Thank you very much! laugh

I wonder, is there a tool in DS that allow to see the licence of each asset used on a file, to be sure there are not on an editorial licence? I don't think to have bought one, but in case I would bua one by inadvertence, it would be great to have a way to quickly identify it...

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

Nope... there's no such information in DS or Install Manager. I'm afraid you have to pay attention to the license info. on the product page before you buy. Actually, there're only a few products having editorial license, AFAIK. Not a big deal...

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,050

No, there's no tool like that currently.

• yuyu.atemyuyu.atem Posts: 168

Ah, ok, it's too bad. sad Thank you, anyway!

• yuyu.atem said:

Thank you very much! laugh

I wonder, is there a tool in DS that allow to see the licence of each asset used on a file, to be sure there are not on an editorial licence? I don't think to have bought one, but in case I would bua one by inadvertence, it would be great to have a way to quickly identify it...

Your best bet at the moment is to visit the Editorial License thread here in the Forums.