Daz Studio fully borked. Please help.

So, I got myself a new 8 tb drive to house my growing DS library. It is installed in my computer. 

Started a new clean install of Daz, downloaded my complete library again onto the new drive using the Install Manager.

Now DS says it can't connect to "postgresql cms database."

I've tried remapping the drives, re-pointing the library, etc. Nothing works. Daz is just... borked.

Any thoughts or help (feel free to explain it like I'm 5) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,605

Make sure you did not install anything as Administrator as that will mess with permissions. Also, check your firewall/security software to ensure that it's not blocking it - you can try temporarily disabling to see if it works.

Then, check to see if DIM can connect (the icon between Help and the cog is not greyed out) - if it can then copy the CMS settings from DIM to Daz Studio.

• morrisonmpmorrisonmp Posts: 146

SofaCitizen said:

Make sure you did not install anything as Administrator as that will mess with permissions. Also, check your firewall/security software to ensure that it's not blocking it - you can try temporarily disabling to see if it works.

Then, check to see if DIM can connect (the icon between Help and the cog is not greyed out) - if it can then copy the CMS settings from DIM to Daz Studio.

The CMS is connecting. It just refuses to acknowledge my new storage drive as a real thing. But if I look in my "Content Library" instead of Smart Content, it can see the files on my new drive. But I prefer to use Smart Content. Not sure what the heck is going on.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,605

morrisonmp said:

The CMS is connecting. It just refuses to acknowledge my new storage drive as a real thing. But if I look in my "Content Library" instead of Smart Content, it can see the files on my new drive. But I prefer to use Smart Content. Not sure what the heck is going on.

Oh, sorry, your first post said Daz could not connect. If you had a previous install, removed that and then re-installed there may have ben some left over configuration and so when you re-installed you have ended up with DIM and Daz pointing to different paths for the CMS and so when DIM populates the database this is not reflected in Daz Studio.

In DIM, click Advanced settings under the cog menu and select the Installation tab. Take note of the settings: "Content Database Base" and "Content Database Port" these need to be the same as in Daz's preferences CMS tab.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

Also go to Installed tab of DIM, check if the metadata have been successfully written to CMS database... as the attached screenshot.

SNAG-2024-1-7-0028.png
    1151 x 954 - 114K

Install Manager is just... the worst. I know a lot of people use it but I miss Daz Central. Never had a single issue using it. Was able to configure my drives with no problems. Since I started using DIM, I haven't even been able to use Daz Studio. Like, I'm a couple of weeks of no productivity now because my libraries and installs are just completely borked.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

DC is discontinued... and it used to be very problematic to me, as well as many people. devil

• morrisonmp said:

Install Manager is just... the worst. I know a lot of people use it but I miss Daz Central. Never had a single issue using it. Was able to configure my drives with no problems. Since I started using DIM, I haven't even been able to use Daz Studio. Like, I'm a couple of weeks of no productivity now because my libraries and installs are just completely borked.

The code is the same, use the basic Settings in DIM to set a base path and the installation behaviour is also the same (it's just that DIM allows for finer control) - DIM and daz Central used the same options, so if you had Daz Central isntalled DIM would have used exactly the same paths unless you changed them.

Richard Haseltine said:

morrisonmp said:

The code is the same, use the basic Settings in DIM to set a base path and the installation behaviour is also the same (it's just that DIM allows for finer control) - DIM and daz Central used the same options, so if you had Daz Central isntalled DIM would have used exactly the same paths unless you changed them.

I hear you. And in theory, this should work. But I've checked, double-checked, and worked with it for three days now. That's on top of having it fail already once before, downloading everything, and then having to start over again. According to my Daz Studio content directory and DIM, I should be correct and fine, but instead, I can't see any of my content in Daz Studio and I can't seem to get it to download where I tell it, and it keeps resetting settings each time I close and re-open it.

If anyone has any solutions, I'd love to hear them, because right now I'm closing in on two weeks of no productivity because my library is completely inaccessible. 

• If it keeps forgetting settings that sounds like over-zealour security software or a permissions/disc issue.

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Similar problem here.:

A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established. Several DAZ Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using the Daz Connect service, will not be available. Check any network, anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-ransomware, and/or firewall settings for potential conflicts.

OK

My characters come out looking like a lego golem.

I updated to Daz 4.22 and then this happened. I asm trying to verify that everything is in the right place. What steps might fix this?

Thank you.

• The "lego golem" sounds like a failure to find, or read, the basic geometry data (assuming it isn't the drawstyle - Create>New Primitive and select Sphere, what shape is it?) How do you install? Do you get an error message when trying to load the figure? How about the end of the log justa fter loading (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File)?

Error message when loading figure. Says it cannot find any of the files. It was working a couple days ago. My daz crashed and I lost my shortcut to open it. Went to download page and downloaded it again. I used to have daz stored elsewhere and I think that is the problem. I think I need to do a clean download but I am not sure of the steps. I do not want to lose thousands of hours of work.

Thank you for any info you can throw at me.

• Redownloading won't help with content paths, which seem to be the issue. Where on disc are your files (what is the full path to the Genesis figure you are trying to load when you end up with the block figure)? What are your content paths (Edit>Preferences, Daz Studio>Preferences for a Mac, then in the Content tab click the Content Directory Manager button, in that dialogue expand to show the paths under the current set at the top, and take a screenshot)?

Here are a couple of screen shots. I am still working on this on my end but not having any luck.

Once again, I appreciate any help you can throw at me.

Thanks.

docx
    docx
    Daz 2024-02-27.docx
    2M

I cannot login or see any of my content. It is is very frustrating as it was all working just a couple of days ago. I thought I moved everything to be looking where my stuff is, but apparently I am missing something.

• Please attach the actual images, Word and other office files can contain malware (I opened in Libre office which should be safe anyway).

It looks as if your Daz Studio content is set to use the default paths, but we still need to know where the files themselves are.

What security software are you using? Blocking both PostgreSQL and log-ins (in DIM or DS or both) does sound like an issue there.