Character eyes are underexposed in a lot of scenes problem

So I'm having dark eyes in a lot of different scenes. Making the environment super light doesn't help either. Nor moving it to the 0/0 cordinates.
Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-01-26 om 20.39.14.png
414 x 438 - 311K

Comments

• Iray? Have you, or a preset, adjusted the Max Path Length setting in the Editor tab of the Render Settings pane? The default is -1.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Iray? Have you, or a preset, adjusted the Max Path Length setting in the Editor tab of the Render Settings pane? The default is -1.

On Iray yeah. It was on -1 earlier (same darkness in eyes) I've put the Max path length on 5 as I read it might help. But so neither 5 or -1 make a difference.

• 5 (or so, depending on mateials) is the minimum that will allow eyes to work. -1 is unlimited, so that isn't the issue. What happens if you do a spot render (Tols>Spot render, drag over the target area) of just one eye, with as little surround as possible?

• Richard Haseltine said:

5 (or so, depending on mateials) is the minimum that will allow eyes to work. -1 is unlimited, so that isn't the issue. What happens if you do a spot render (Tols>Spot render, drag over the target area) of just one eye, with as little surround as possible?

Same result. It's not like one eye is less dark. 
    What does help is putting the environment map and intensity higher. Then eyes become normal. Problem then is that my whole scene is overexposed. The middle way here isn't great either. But it's promising. Maybe I can try a bit more stuff in render settings.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

At the same time, you better check the settings on Sclera surface in Surfaces pane, esp. Translucency relevant slots, as well as Diffuse, Color, Refraction related slots....

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,028

For a quick fix, apply a different set of eye materials. Like @crosswind I imagine the issue is with the sclera settings (possibly refraction).