lip sync best practices?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,613

I'm looking for ways to step up my lip sync work. I'm using daz 4.8 on a mac. I use the mimic lip sync in Daz 32-bit version and I import audio line by line. I also type in the words which does seem to boost the accuracy of the resulting phoneme moves. Then I save as a pose-preset (often just the facial elements of the character and nothing else). Then I import to Daz 64 bit.  Does this sound right?  It's still a bit trial and error as I can't find a way to actually marry picture and audio until the shot is rendered and synced up in Premiere. I typically render low-res versions to see how it's all working before the big render.  Is that how others tackle this?

Comments

• ToleroTolero Posts: 34

Hey Deke,

I can tell you my way. I've done some testing in the last days and before. So i'm using also Daz 4.8 but on Win7. I'm using the actual version of Mimic Live! (Now with Gen3 support, jay!)
    In mimic live I use the Settings: 1000ms for the upper slider (this is the value for the recognition, the longer, the more precise, so 1000ms is the max.) For the second slider beneath, the animation intervall,
    i use a setting of 40ms. The higher the value, the more soften and unprecise the result, but may be good for slower speaking animations.
    Unfortunally, Mimic Live doesn't support loading wav files, but that isn't really an issue. You can load the audiofile in any mediaplayer and use a 3.5mm Jack to Jack Cable to connect your soundcard
    Output with the Input. Be sure to uncheck listen to Audio in the Mimic options or you will get a terrible feedback!
    So far so good, now hit the start Lipsync Button and right after that, hit the play Button on the Mediaplayer. After one second delay (1000ms settting from above) the Lipsync Animation will start.
    Stop the Mediaplayer when ur done, but give the Lipsync animation some time to stop (1000ms delay afterwards).
    Now render it and watch on which FPS rate you are, for later editing in Post. My most timing mismatch issues in post were depending most on wrong fps settings.

you need to align it in post to the right spot (audio&video) at the beginning and if the fps settings are correct, the rest should match pefectly.

Here is my (raw) result: 

Any further suggestions are welcome! 

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,613

I wish I had the full Live version but I'm on a Mac.  I run the Mac stripped down version in 32 and then port the poser preset over to 64. I have been rendering some low res shots of each line and then sync them up in Premiere to see how things are looking. Sometimes I can delete a frame or two here and there nd it sort of smooths thing over. But, it's not nearly perfect and I'm trying to step up that game.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,613

BTW, the look your getting it great. Way better than my efforts. There seems to always be a bit of a trick with V's and F's.  I have found that adding the motion blur effect in After Effects sort of fuzzy's up the lip moves and masks some of the jerkiness I'm getting.