[Released] ManFriday's Seamster (clothes rigging for Daz Studio) [Commercial]

ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
edited February 17 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Hello everybody! It's been a while, but I've been busy working on something big that came out today.

https://www.daz3d.com/seamster

ManFriday's Seamster is a plugin for Daz Studio 4.21 and higher that makes rigging clothes for Daz Studio significantly easier.

Reduce your risk of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)!

Making 3D clothing for Daz Studio usually involves the following phases:

• Modeling and UV-mapping the clothing with 3D modeling software (such as Marvelous Designer) and exporting it in the OBJ file format.
  • Importing the OBJ onto a Genesis figure in Daz Studio and rigging it (giving it bones and making them work with weightmaps and corrective morphs).
  • Texturing.

Seamster helps with step 2, which many consider the most tedious part of making clothes for Daz Studio. It greatly reduces the many clicks that are normally required, reducing the risk of forgetting something along the way, which can otherwise lead to a lot of lost time and frustration. It imports your clothing OBJ and runs Transfer Utility with just two clicks. It helps you with checking and painting the weightmaps for all the bones and with making corrective morphs for certain bone rotations. It can also help with creating rigid follow nodes (RFNs).

Seamster has been developed with the help and support of some of the most respected clothing makers who are publishing in the Daz Store. I sincerely hope that this will make the tedious process of rigging clothes for Daz Studio much easier and produce more and better clothes for our favorite platform.

Attaching the PDF user manual which has an overview of what the product does, an introduction to riggingin in general, and all the details.

main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 394K
pdf
pdf
Seamster Manual.pdf
Post edited by ManFriday on

Comments

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549

Temporary post for screenshots (will be replaced when product is released).

popup_01.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 463K
    popup_02.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 407K
    popup_03.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 408K
    popup_04.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 372K
    popup_05.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 501K
    popup_06.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 505K
    popup_07.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 504K
    popup_08.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 433K
    popup_09.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 421K
    popup_10.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 484K
    popup_11.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 482K
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684

As someone who tried to rig clothes and ran the other way, I will definitely give this a try!

• MadaMada Posts: 1,869

I can definitely recommend this :) Having everything in one tab is fantastic, saves a huge amount of clicks. If you're doing any kind of clothing creation this will be an essential tool.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,203

If it's good enough for Mada...

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

It looks very interesting. Hopefully I will learn, how to use it.

• backgroundbackground Posts: 359

This will be very useful and a definite purchase, so long as it is not limited to G9

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,897

Color me excited! Part of the reason why I don't model outfits IS the rigging. This will be HUGE! I'm looking forward to this.

background said:

This will be very useful and a definite purchase, so long as it is not limited to G9

G8 and 8.1 are supported too!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,175

It sounds very interesting.

• backgroundbackground Posts: 359

ManFriday said:

background said:

That's good to hear, I will definitely look out for it. 

• I see only export import, but I hate to fill my folders with meshes (always forget to delete later :D ) and I use ZBrush ... but with Zbrush I use the bridge ... it is useful for that too? I mean remember the sent morph's name or whatever ... 

3D-GHDesign said:

I see only export import, but I hate to fill my folders with meshes (always forget to delete later :D ) and I use ZBrush ... but with Zbrush I use the bridge ... it is useful for that too? I mean remember the sent morph's name or whatever ... 

Yes, you can use ZBrush too. I don't have ZBrush myself but several people have tested it before release and used GoZ, the ZBrush bridge. I just attached the PDF user manual to the first post in this thread, and it explains the process on page 18. Seamster has a button to copy the morph's name to the clipboard quickly for that purpose as well. Hope this helps!

•  

ManFriday said:

background said:

Does it support Genesis and Genesis 2 as well?

I know they are old, but I still use those figures a lot (especially Genesis 2) since they are much more lightweight in large scenes.

silvioarturi_d26d1707cd said:

ManFriday said:

background said:

Does it support Genesis and Genesis 2 as well?

I know they are old, but I still use those figures a lot (especially Genesis 2) since they are much more lightweight in large scenes.

Not really. Genesis 2 and older won't work because they use very a different rigging method (TriAx weightmapping), which Seamster does not support. Some parts of the program may work but I haven't tested it and it's not supported. I had to draw the line somewhere, the program was complex enough to write as it is, sorry!

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

Hey Manfriday -- I got your Renderqeue thing a couple of weeks ago, but my Avast antivirus proclaimed it a virus and ate it. Whenever I tried to download it again, it ate that too. I know it isn't infected, so can I get the zipped version? I think it's the installer than does it.

Damsel said:

Hey Manfriday -- I got your Renderqeue thing a couple of weeks ago, but my Avast antivirus proclaimed it a virus and ate it. Whenever I tried to download it again, it ate that too. I know it isn't infected, so can I get the zipped version? I think it's the installer than does it.

I'm sorry, I'm not handing out ZIPs over the forums. If you have an installation problem with something downloaded from Daz, can you please file a ticket with Daz technical support? They have control over install issues, not me.

Also this is the Seamster support thread, please keep it clear of Render Queue issues. Thank you!

• ManFriday said:

3D-GHDesign said:

I see only export import, but I hate to fill my folders with meshes (always forget to delete later :D ) and I use ZBrush ... but with Zbrush I use the bridge ... it is useful for that too? I mean remember the sent morph's name or whatever ... 

Yes, you can use ZBrush too. I don't have ZBrush myself but several people have tested it before release and used GoZ, the ZBrush bridge. I just attached the PDF user manual to the first post in this thread, and it explains the process on page 18. Seamster has a button to copy the morph's name to the clipboard quickly for that purpose as well. Hope this helps!

Thanks, good to hear .. but I don't see the pdf 

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801

I like that you work on a new project, but it's sad, that you don't try to fix the render queque...

• 3D-GHDesign said:

ManFriday said:

3D-GHDesign said:

Same here, not seeing a PDF in the post
    and not sure where the Comprehensive PDF manual that is listed as being included was downloaded to

edited February 18

I'm seeing the PDF attachment - I'm using Chrome?

Screenshot 2024-02-18 115918.png
    1338 x 702 - 174K
    Post edited by Mada on

chriscox said:

3D-GHDesign said:

ManFriday said:

3D-GHDesign said:

and not sure where the Comprehensive PDF manual that is listed as being included was downloaded to

To find where your files are installed open DIM, find your product under installed files and then click on the 3 dots to the right of the name... "show installed files" will show you where to find it

• Mada said:

chriscox said:

To find where your files are installed open DIM, find your product under installed files and then click on the 3 dots to the right of the name... "show installed files" will show you where to find it

Found it Thanks!, was expecting to find it in Documentation in my Content directory

edited February 18

chriscox said:

3D-GHDesign said:

ManFriday said:

3D-GHDesign said:

Like Mada said, please see the attachments to the first post of this thread.

Generally, Seamster is a plugin for Daz Studio, not a script, so the PDF does not get installed into the content libraries, but to the Daz Studio program directory (C:\program files...). Daz Studio doesn't make it easy to find these, but there are three ways to view the PDF after installation:

1) Once you have added the "Seamster" pane to the Daz Studio UI, there is a little question mark button at the top right of the pane. That is the easiest way to open the PDF. (This is true for all my plugins. Admittedly it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem that the manual explains how to add the Seamster pane to Daz Studio, and only then is there a button that makes opening the manual easy.)

2) You can press F1 in Daz Studio, and in the window that pops up, select "Seamster" -> "Documentation" under "Plugins" on the left. That will open the PDF as well. This is true for all plugins.

3) You can navigate to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\Seamster and open the PDF yourself.

Hope this helps!

Post edited by ManFriday on

Does anyone has used Seamster to create something in Daz Studio.

If so, please post your results. Thanks in advance.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

Manfriday-- I'm sorry, of course you're right. I'll do that.

Artini said:

I'm working my way throught my first Seamster project. So far, the instructions in the PDF are clear and helpful.

barbult said:

Artini said:

I'm working my way throught my first Seamster project. So far, the instructions in the PDF are clear and helpful.

Thanks for the response. I have finally purchased Seamster for me. Will see, how it will go for me with it.

• Does this work with, or assist at all with, rigging shoes? Or is this purely clothing only and not for anything that may be considered an "accessory" (like shoes, jewellry, hats, etc)?

I've been through all of the steps now - project creation, rigging, weight mapping, corrective morphs and project saving. I didn't have to rename surfaces, because mine were already correct.
    Seamster is amazing! If you make clothes for supported Daz Studio characters, you will find this to be a big time and sanity saver. The manual is excellent. The manual doesn't assume you are a clothing creation expert, It goes beyond describing the plugin itself and offers some explanation about what rigging, weight mapping, and corrective morphs are and some info about the tools you will be using to implement them. If you have some experience with clothing creation already, you will find the workflow pretty intuitive and need to focus only on the plugin interface and options. If you've never created clothes for Daz Studio characters before, some clothing creation tutorials will still be helpful to understand the whole process and see where Seamster will make it more streamlined.