SubD Level changes arbitrarily

I have reported this as a bug to Daz, but it has been left open and replyless for almost one year and a few updates.

I seem to get an error when I save a scene with Genesis 8.1 characters (male or female) in them. The characters have Render SubD Level (Minimum) as 3 (or any other value) when I add them to the scene. I then save a scene or scene subset with them. When I open the scene or merge the subset into a new scene, the characters Render SubD Level (Minimum) jumps to 5. I have tried many combinations of props or morphs that I though might be involved, but, in the end, the issue happens if I just have one vanilla Genesis 8,1 in the scene.

This has caused quite some trouble, because somes scenes started running out of memory for apparently no reason when rendering and it took me a long time and some luck to realise what was happening. Although the solution of resetting the Render SubD Level (Minimum) every time I open a scene is trivial, it is very annoying.

Does it happen to anyone else? If some plugin or misconfiguration could cause that, any ideas which?

Steps to reproduce are simple:
1) Create new scene
2) Add a Genesis 8.1 Base Character and check that Render SubD Level (Minimum) is not 5
3) Save the scene (scene1)
4) Create a new new scene (scene2)
5) Open scene1
6) Check that Render SubD Level (Minimum) of the added character is now 5

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    edited February 15

I followed your steps with G8.1F, but when I reopened scene 1, Render SubD Level (Minimum) was still 3. I am using Daz Studio 4.22.1.74 Public Build on Windows 10. What version of Daz Studio are you using?

Edit : I tried again, this time merging (instead of reopening the first scene), and still it worked fine, with the Render SubD Level (Minimum) set to 3. I attached my scene, in case you want to try it. You can post your scene, and I will try it.

duf
    duf
    G81F SubD 2 Render SubD 3.duf
    Post edited by barbult on
  • fullerdbfullerdb Posts: 31

Thank you for the help!

I am using 4.22.0.15 64-bit on Windows 11. 4.22.1.74 is still beta, isn't it? If it solves the problem, I will try it, but I will need a little more time.

When I open your file, it opens correctly with SubD 3. But when I save it and open it again, it changes to 5. I have looked into the files and they are different. Just by opening your file and saving it, it changes. Besides some values I am guessing are related to the Filament Draw Options (which might be a separate problem I am not aware of), I found this in your file:

"extra" : [

{

"type" : "studio_geometry_channels",

"channels" : [

{

"channel" : {

"id" : "SubDRenderLevel",

"type" : "int",

"value" : 3,

"current_value" : 1

}

}

]

}

]

That is not in the file I generated here! I manually added that to test3.duf and it opened correctly. The question now is: why is that not written to the file?

I am attaching your file saved by me (before I edited it manually). I think the file may open with SubD 5 at first, but will work correctly if you change them to 3 and save them.

I will look into the beta and see if it solves the problem. If it does not, at least, I have more evidence to add to the bug report!

duf
    duf
    test3.duf
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    edited February 16

Your file opened with Render SubD Level (Minimum) of 3 for me in 4.22.1.74 Public Build. Yes, Public Build is synonymous with Beta in Daz terms. You could dig through the Daz software change logs to see if they wrote anything about a fix to your problem. I don't have 4.22.0.15 installed.

Post edited by barbult on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793

I opened the file with 4.22.0.15, Render SubD Level was found to be 3.

As default, Render SubD Level is controlled by SubDivision Level, so it won't be "automatically" changed to 5 unless you manually enter 5 to it, or set 4 in SubDivision Level.

• Try running* http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start to disable all non-Daz plug-ins, then repeat your test with a fresh scene. You will need to reenable the plug-ins through Help>About Installed Plug-ins, then restart DS - if the issue does go away after disabling them, try reenabling them in smal groups to figure out the cause.

* Download using the link above the script, then drag the file into the DS Viewport.

• fullerdbfullerdb Posts: 31
    edited February 17

Good news in the end, but let's get there step-by-step.

Thank you for testing with the same version, crosswind.

I won't install the beta for three reasons, barbult: 1) I could not figure out how. angel And 2) it does not seem like it would help. And 3) The problem is gone (see below).

I have done as you suggested, Richard, but it did not fix the problem.

Today, I also had the chance to get another computer, which has a fresh install of Daz Studio. It is also Windows 11 and 4.22.0.15 and it works as it should. So, it is not the OS.

Conclusion: it is something I have installed and is not any of the plugins that were disabled by Richard's suggestion.

I thought it must be some product, then. Perhaps some freebie from another site. But I disabled the libraries where I keep those and the problem did not go away.

I then uninstalled Genesis 8 Starter Essentials. After making sure they were really gone, I have re-installed them. And... the problem is gone! SubDs staying at 3.

And it has stayed gone even after I added the libraries back.

I suppose someday I will do or use something that will recreate the problem, but, until then, things are working as they should.

Thank you all for the help!

PS:  I see a backup file dzloadplugins.dsx was created by the script, Richard. Can you tell me how I can restore it? Otherwise, I will just have to re-activate one by one.

Post edited by fullerdb on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

fullerdb said:

PS:  I see a backup file dzloadplugins.dsx was created by the script, Richard. Can you tell me how I can restore it? Otherwise, I will just have to re-activate one by one.

dzloadplugins.dsx set's a 'yes' or 'no' Boolean for each plugin, just change no to yes for each plugin you want to reactivate.