Smart Prop Question

CricketCricket Posts: 437

Is there a way to make a smart prop made for Genesis 3 work with Genesis 8? I know there is a script available in the store, but I was wondering if there was a way to do it within the program?

Post edited by Cricket on

Comments

• drucdruc Posts: 346
    edited February 18

Thanks for the question. I also wanted to be able to do this. Your question spurred me on to do a search.

Check this youtube vid 

Post edited by druc on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793
    edited February 18

OP's question is not about how to create a smart prop but how to make an existing Smart Prop for G3 (A Wearable Preset) work on a G8 figure...

I recommend a simple way: Download and install these freebies first - G3F to G8F World's Greatest Pose Converter and  G3M to G8M World's Greatest Pose Converter

1. Reload a G8F and select it, load a Smart Prop for G3 onto it. Select the Smart Prop in Viewport, Unparent it via Right Click in Scene pane - Unparent...
    2. Select G8F, go to path: Pose Controls - G3F Pose in Parameters pane, dial "!G3F Full Body" to 1.0 (screenshot 1)
    3. Select the Smart Prop, Parent it to the original Node(hand, foot, etc.)  Make sure "Parent Items In Place" is checked beforehand!

Then you may freely apply related and/or any G3F poses to this G8F figure... or Zero "!G3F Full Body" for the readiness of applying G8 poses. (screenshot 2)

SNAG-2024-2-18-0000.png
    2560 x 1400 - 465K
    SNAG-2024-2-18-0001.png
    2560 x 1400 - 524K
    Post edited by crosswind on

At minute 8 in the Vid Jay mentions this same process can be used for a different generation character to make it a smart prop for G8 or a completely home made prop. He specifically mentions G2 and G3. He made the vid after a question from someone wanting to convert V4 smart props to G8. He said he didn't have any V4 stuff so made it from scratch to show the process.

Or you can look here https://www.versluis.com/2016/09/ds-smart-prop/ or https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1222/how-to-create-a-smart-prop

When you follow the instructions, you are saving a prop that is smart parented to your generation of character. The easiest way is load your earlier generation smart prop with nothing selected in your scene, it will load in it's default position. move it to where it needs to be then parent it to that body part, then save it as per the vid or doc. Nothing required except Daz Studio.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793
    edited February 18

What Jay showed is a different thing ~~ and limited to certain cases.  As per the OP, a typical case is a Smart Props on Hand... with which there's always a Hand Pose(s) along with the Wearable Preset. If you go for the tut way, you have to manually move the Smart Prop "in Place" and add the pose to the joints... That turns out to be cumbersome.

In fact we just simply need to make and save converted G3 T-Pose for G8 and save a Preset for re-use... but thanks to AgentUnawares's freebies, which make things much simpler. Just a couple of clicks.

Post edited by crosswind on

I'm always after pose converters, so thanks for the link

• CricketCricket Posts: 437

Thank you. I'll give those freebies a try.