How to put G9 skins on G8 models?

I know the G9 has some kind of fanicer yadda yadda thing about its skins, and even if I lose whatever that is has no bearing on me, but I have an insane number of G8 models and do not like G9 since I don't want to have to rebuy everything again.  I do buy any monster/alien G9 models that come up.  I do not need the shape, but for some of my past things, I have these UV swap things I bought here and culd use say a G8 Male skin on a G8 Female model.  Is there one for me to use on a G8 model so I can stick G9 skins on her?  And if not, is there a way to save a G9 skin as a material preset or something and slap it onto a G8 model?  (Even if I lose some extra little surface property)

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,215

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-9-uvs-for-genesis-8-and-81-female

There doesn't yet seem to be a male equivalent, but UV Swap and/or the Cross Figure Resource Kit might be able to make G9 skins work on G8M using the same product. The problem with G9 is that it has completely different topology and UV maps compared to G3, G8 and G8.1, which were all essentially the same mesh. Something like this, which uses geografts to patch up seams, is the only only way to do it short of re-wrapping the textures yourself.

• I guess I will never get it.  It's the same thing as a G8, yeah the little bits line up differently, but I don't see how a UV swap can happen so we can put G8 on G9 but not the reversal.  Just do that backwards, programmers lol

The geometry is different. UV mapping tells the program which polygons on a 3D mesh correspond to which pixels on a texture map. If the polygons are radically different, as they are between G8 and G9, then no UV mapping tricks will make them magically line up. Load a G8 and G9 side by side, and load only one surface on them, for example only the arms. Look at where the maps end on the different figures. Now set the viewport to a wire textured mode and look at the polygons of each region. They don't line up, and that's not something you can overcome with simple UV mapping. You can only map according to the polygons you have available.

edited February 19

Here, I did it for you.

nouv.PNG
    853 x 853 - 293K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • Gordig said:

The geometry is different. UV mapping tells the program which polygons on a 3D mesh correspond to which pixels on a texture map. If the polygons are radically different, as they are between G8 and G9, then no UV mapping tricks will make them magically line up. Load a G8 and G9 side by side, and load only one surface on them, for example only the arms. Look at where the maps end on the different figures. Now set the viewport to a wire textured mode and look at the polygons of each region. They don't line up, and that's not something you can overcome with simple UV mapping. You can only map according to the polygons you have available.

Then why does it work backwards, they have the thing that allows someone to put a G8 on a G9, so that should be as equally impossible then, or like I said, if it can go one way it should go both.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

anaximanes_2000 said:

Then why does it work backwards, they have the thing that allows someone to put a G8 on a G9, so that should be as equally impossible then, or like I said, if it can go one way it should go both.

The very first reply to you in this thread links to a product that uses remapping and geografts to apply G9 material presets to G8 figures. 

• Oh I already own that, I guess I need to learn how to use it then.
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,191
    edited February 23

When Genesis 9 figures first came out, I put a lot of thought into this and over time came up with a solution that works in 80% of all cases.

Yes, you can put a Genesis 9 skin on a Genesis 8 character. It only takes a few seconds to do it.

But it takes a bit of prep work, and it does not work the way you think it may.

First you have to convert your Genesis 8 character to Genesis 9 using the RSSY converter program (see link below). This will create body and face morphs for most of your Genesis 8 characters and it works perfectly on most Genesis 8 characters. After you morph the face and body you can, in most cases, superimpose most figures and the generation body shapes will perfectly align with one another.

What is a Genesis 8 character without its skin? Well, it is a unique face and body shape. If you have the same face and body shape on a Genesis 9 character then you have the same character, simple as that (for the most part). Most clothes, and hair autofit (geographs and bodysuits are a different story) . The same would go for Genesis 9 to Genesis 8. If you can morph the face and body shape of a Genesis 9 character to a Genesis 8 then you can use all the Genesis 8 bodysuits on a Genesis 9 character. If both characters can obtain the same shape, you technically have the same character in a different generation.

You may never solve the problem of using UV skins on a different generation. My suggestion for now is, instead, use morphs. 

https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-character-and-material-conversion-genesis-8-to-genesis-9-bundle

Post edited by RexRed on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,592

RexRed said:

When Genesis 9 figures first came out, I put a lot of thought into this and over time came up with a solution that works in 80% of all cases.

Yes, you can put a Genesis 9 skin on a Genesis 8 character. It only takes a few seconds to do it.

But it takes a bit of prep work, and it does not work the way you think it may.

First you have to convert your Genesis 8 character to Genesis 9 using the RSSY converter program (see link below). This will create body and face morphs for most of your Genesis 8 characters and it works perfectly on most Genesis 8 characters. After you morph the face and body you can, in most cases, superimpose most figures and the generation body shapes will perfectly align with one another.

What is a Genesis 8 character without its skin? Well, it is a unique face and body shape. If you have the same face and body shape on a Genesis 9 character then you have the same character, simple as that (for the most part). Most clothes, and hair autofit (geographs and bodysuits are a different story) . The same would go for Genesis 9 to Genesis 8. If you can morph the face and body shape of a Genesis 9 character to a Genesis 8 then you can use all the Genesis 8 bodysuits on a Genesis 9 character. If both characters can obtain the same shape, you technically have the same character in a different generation.

You may never solve the problem of using UV skins on a different generation. My suggestion for now is, instead, use morphs. 

https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-character-and-material-conversion-genesis-8-to-genesis-9-bundle

I actually agree with this thought process. I moved all my custom morphs over to G9, so no matter the generation of skin, clothing or hair, I can have the same figures regardless of generation.