How to go from a 'shader' from a Merchant Ressources to a 'texture map' ?

ElorElor Posts: 708

Hello,

I'm not sure I'm using the correct words but when looking at shader products on Daz3d.com, I saw a product about swimsuits, who is also a Merchant Ressrouces. I don't own it, but among the render, the last one caught my eyes:

It seems like a fair way to use MR, so my questions are:

1. How do I go from the not OK second picture to the OK third picture ?
  2. Bonus Question to : Does this rules applies to any MR products or does each products have their own rules ? I ask because I own the two shaders products by @FC2C but if they are guidelines, I missed them. (I'm not really planning to create and share items using them, so it's more for my curiosity's sake)

Getting back to question 1: if the shader textures map used is not duplicated, I suppose the easy way is to use one of the original map to build a mask and use that mask to remove any part of the shader textures map not useful with a software like Affinity Photo, but what happen when the shader textures map is duplicated (with the Horizontal and Vertical Tiles settings in the surface panel) ?

And is there a tool inside Daz Studio that I can use to get the correct map directly ?

26-iray-super-shaders-swimsuit-edition-daz3d.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 339K
Post edited by Elor on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,215

Elor said:

I'm not sure I'm using the correct words

This one is a little tricky because the word "shader" gets used really loosely around here. A shader is a formula that specifies how texture maps are applied to geometry, i.e. what each map does. Most of the time people refer to a "shader" on the Daz forums, what they're really referring to is a shader preset; the shader - most frequently Iray Uber - stays the same, but the preset applies different parameter values and different texture maps. The vast majority of "shaders" available in the Daz store are just presets for Iray Uber; the number of different Iray shaders, like Muelsfell Multilayer Terrain Shader and Oso Janus Double Sided Shader, is relatively small.

A texture map is just an image. The product you linked includes seamless texture maps that define the pattern, and requires that you alter those maps so that they are no longer tileable, such as by baking the tiling and any other changes you've made and deleting the parts that don't apply directly to the item you plan to sell.

And is there a tool inside Daz Studio that I can use to get the correct map directly ?

After you've made all your changes, open the Shader Baker tab in the parameters pane, then bake the surface to a new texture map. With that surface selected, switch to UV view in the viewport camera selection menu, screenshot that and use it as a mask in your image editing software of choice. 

• ElorElor Posts: 708

Thank you for your answer smiley

I have yet to find the time to follow your advices, but I'll do it as soon as I can.