Not Sure Anyone Can Help With This

I bought Melody2 by Lady LittleFox when it was still at RDNA. Since the day I got it I have no problem getting textures on the lion ears, but had no success in getting the textures on the kitty ears. Clicking the material won't add any texture and manually turns up being not set properly. I've tried using offset to get the texture to sit on the ears correctly but they won't. I also can't apply the texture to one ear at a time, despite them being listed seperately in the Scene tab. I did discover the mapping for the ears is incorrect, but that don't help me either unless I remap them.

I know this is an old product, despite that, I can get it to work on any model from Generation3 to Genesis9, so would be a shame if I can't get the textures to work and Lady Littlefox is almost never around anymore, as they are busy with none computer art now.

https://www.daz3d.com/melody-2-0

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,707

I don't have it.

Does it just nothing when you apply the material?

Assuming that you are chaning it to Iray, have you then tried applying the materal before changing it to Iray?

Worst case, as I see it; aplly the textures manually, and save as new preset.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,302

I didn't think to change to iray but not a bad idea. Applying manually don't work, I mentioned that in the post. I can apply the lion ear textures and manually apply the lion ear textures, it's the kitty ears that are the problem, the material don't work and can't manually add it. When I manually apply the kitty texture, nothing lines up, as if the maps are wrong or something.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

I was gonna suggest that maybe you can compare the ear textures that do work with those that don't line up correctly in an image editing program, and then adjust the kitty textures accordingly. But then I re-read your post, and it seems that the mapping on the ears is somehow wrong - I'm guessing you mean it doesn't really make sense the way it sits on the ears, yes? In that case I think I would apply another material that has very clearly visible zones, like, dunno, checkers in different colors or something, to see where everything goes on these ears, so to speak. And then after that, you could adjust the kitty ear texture.

Concerning the fact that the material preset just doesn't do anything, I've had that happen with other products as well, sometimes they're just faulty. You'll want to check whether it applies any texture map at all in the appropriate channel - if no, then there's the reason right there why it doesn't work. If there is a map applied, could be it's just the wrong one. Or maybe the preset is looking for a map with a slightly misspelled name, that also often happens. In all of these cases, once you adjusted the map according to the true mapping of the ears, you could just load it manually and then save as a new preset.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,215

I'm sure @Ethin could help.

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,010

I'd be willing make a matching texture for those ears... unfortunately I don't have Melody 2.

Also after some searching I found the original product description from RDNA and at the very bottom it said "Bonus!- Kitty Ears Included for future texture Expansion". Seems the kitty ears may have been an after thought.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,867
    edited February 25

the addon textures often have kitty ears ones, the base ones don't

from readme 

Kitty Ears: These ears are included as an 'extra' for the base pack.  No textures are included for these ears in the base pack, they are for use in the texture addons.  Pay careful attention to the names in the mat poses for which type of ears the textures apply to.

on Genesis 1

mel027.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited February 26

Oh geez, I somehow missed that when I checked the readme, thanks Wendy. Sure would have been nice if a template was included, then could make my own textures.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
    edited February 26

In the "View" drop down menu select "UV View"

Select the item in the "Scene" tab then select the surfaces you want the UV's for in the "Surfaces" tab.

Take a screenshot and paste it in your image editing app. You'll have to crop to and scale the UV portion.

It's not ideal but it better than nothing.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 685K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 700K
    Post edited by Ethin on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,707

When I need an UV-map, I export the object to a modeller and get the UV from there.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,867
    edited February 26

UV for ears

can do different colours if prefered

kitty ears.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
    kitty ears.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Ethin ... I don't not know you could do that, good to know and thanks.

Felis ... I'm familiar with that, however it's been a long time and seem to recall it has to be done a certain way, such as not resaving the obj, cause that messes things up lol I found out the hard way lol

Wendy ... thank you for the template.

Now all I need to figure out is getting decent fur on the head, ears and whichever models body I use. I remember the old way of doing fur with 3dl and it never did look very good, wondering if there's a better iray method.

Your welcome, glad to hellp!smiley