VDBs not rendering ...

Purchased two VDB based products this week (Pro Pyro from DAZ, Mysterious Flames from Rendo) and neither are rendering in Daz Studio 4.22.18 something (latest beta version). Any suggestions?

Comments

• This is a full render, not the Iray Drawstyle in the Viewport? Are other things rendering correctly?

• Yes. I gave up on viewport rendering with 4.22 after it kept crashing. This is a full render (Iray). Everything else in the scene renders.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    I don't think there is a version 4.22.18. Are you sure? Did you mean 4.22.1.88?
  • Yeah. Something like that. Too many versions to keep up with.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,174

Did VDBs render for you in earlier versions? Are your default resources up to date?

• Just bought 'em in last couple of days. All drivers and DAZ software up to date and I assume the latest "default" resources were included in my last Daz update this week. First time I've tried VDB, especially emissive and animated. Can't get either to render. Starting to get a headache from looking at all the tutorials. But still not rendering. 

The default resources are a separate package from the program itself. If you use DIM, check to see that your default resources aren't waiting for an update, or if you manually install, download the default resources from the second link here and install them. VDBs require a shader that was introduced somewhere around 4.20, so if you haven't updated your default resources recently enough, you don't have it.

• Thanks but that's not the problem. Have the "simple" VDB shader preset. Tried it. Tried going into tool manager and selecting volume and all that stuff. I give up. $40 wasted. I'm going back to planes and images as billboards.

• Did you actually check for updates, or redownload and reinstall if you use manual installation? There was an update, as I recall, for emissive volumes after the initial update for plain volumes.

• No idea, Richard. I just downloaded the most recent beta update (via DIM) that came out this week and I assume it had everything included. Are you telling me there's a separate file I should have downloaded because I never saw it as available?

• Yes, Default Resources. DIM should tell you if there is an update, if you used it to install the product.

• I'll look for it. Thanks.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

marty.russell56_7809659940 said:

No idea, Richard. I just downloaded the most recent beta update (via DIM) that came out this week and I assume it had everything included. Are you telling me there's a separate file I should have downloaded because I never saw it as available?

Gordig explained all this up above in this thread.

barbult said:

marty.russell56_7809659940 said:

No idea, Richard. I just downloaded the most recent beta update (via DIM) that came out this week and I assume it had everything included. Are you telling me there's a separate file I should have downloaded because I never saw it as available?

Gordig explained all this up above in this thread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

• Thanks, guys. Thanks for the link, Gordig. I downloaded and installed the Default Resources files. No change. I think I'll just stick with planes and billboards for this project. Obviously I have a big learning curve ahead on VDBs and I'll have to tackle that in the future but right now I want to get on with my current project. Maybe by then someone will post some instructions for use of these things. Thanks, though. Appreciate your help.

• AlfRaMusicAlfRaMusic Posts: 99

I have observed that the VDB objects are not rendered when the camera also looks through certain transparent objects! For example, I wanted a bar scene with windows looking out at the fog! The fog couldn't be seen! But when I changed the material of the window and used different glass material, the fog appeared! I have the same problem with a rain product! Without the rain, everything was great, with rain, no fog!