dForce Kernel Error

Azure_ZeroAzure_Zero Posts: 65

I've made a PC upgrade switching the GPU, and fo some reason dForce does not run, getting message.

Simulation Error:
Error initializing OpenCL kernals

Now I checked my GPU and OpenCL is there, so what is going on?

Hardware is
GPU: RX 7900 XTX
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

Post edited by Azure_Zero on

Comments

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181
    edited February 25

I have no idea if dForce will run on an AMD GPU (having not tried dForce yet), but Iray rendering will only work on an NVidia GPU (or fallback to CPU-only). If it was a GPU upgrade, why did you go with AMD instead of NVidia?

Post edited by pctech4ny on
  • In the relatively recent past the AMD drivers did not support OpenCL in a way that DS could use. I don't know if that is still the case, but it may well be.

• Azure_ZeroAzure_Zero Posts: 65
    edited February 26

pctech4ny said:

I have no idea if dForce will run on an AMD GPU (having not tried dForce yet), but Iray rendering will only work on an NVidia GPU (or fallback to CPU-only). If it was a GPU upgrade, why did you go with AMD instead of NVidia?

I switched to AMD for a few reasons

1) The Price of the Card is almost 50+ percent less then a RTX 4090 or even a RTX 3090.
    2) Getting a lot more VRAM for what I pay.
    3) When I boot into Linux (it is a dual boot system) I don't need to worry about nVidia card issues as much.
    4) Been wanting to use the Steam OS from the Steam Deck on it, and nVidia is a no go or buggy card to use with it.

Now I did find my CPU rendering is generall almost as fast as a RTX 3060, so I can stand that loss, but the dForce is one that is surprising.

I'll see if I can get POCL (Portable CL) compiled and working with Daz next weekend.

If I get it working, I think Daz should include it with Daz Studio as a fall-back.

Post edited by Azure_Zero on
  • Maybe the DAZ Team should contract Janik who work on ZLUDA, to get dForce working on more hardware.

ZLUDA is CUDA as FOSS and Cross Platform (Hardware and OS)

• dForce uses OpenCL, which AMD cards should support - it's just that they seem to do so using a different API from nVidia (GPUs) and Intel (CPUs and GPUs). It is presumably a driver issue.

• OpenCL is an open standard so everyone should be comforming to it
    now, it could be something in how AMD executes the instructions, kinda like how Cyrix CPUs had problems running Quake back in the 90's
    But it could also be that nVidia and Intel have a similar special instruction no found on AMD, (Kinda like how 3D accelerators back in the 90's and 2000s could have a special functions only they had).

Since Janik worked for Intel and AMD building ZLUDA which is a CUDA ( a Proprietary CL), I believe he would likely figure out the issue.

As I don't mind losing GPU I-ray rendering, but losing dForce means I'll be going back to Genesis 3 and 2 since Genesis 8 has a lot of dForce items I'd not be able to truely use right.