UPDATE; (new log attached 01 March 2024) Problems applying expressions to G8 females

pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181

So on my newer machine that I set up some time ago but only last week started using for rendering (still using the old machine for scene setup,character dialing, etc) I have a problem applying facial expression to G8 female characters. But it is not all of my expression packs; some seem to work OK.

So I have captured a log from that PC and who boy there are a lot of warnings and errors, but only of about 3 basic types.

"Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path:" (looks like a lot of my G8 female characters)

"JSON interpreter warning: Unexpected string member: type" (when loading a G8 female character)

"Formula target property not found:" (seems to be posing morphs - hundreds or maybe thousands of them)

If anybody is brave enough to have a look and tell me what this means, I'd be thankful.

DAZ 4.16.03, all DAZ3d assets installed via DIM except for 3rd party stuff that was manually installed.

(Already tried: uninstalling and reinstalling all expression packs via DIM; reset entire database, but neither one helped.

txt
txt
log.txt
1M
Post edited by pctech4ny on

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

With that many errors, if it were me, I would wipe out all my daz stuff and reinstall everything, program and runtime. How long does it take to load in a figure? I remember back when I had a error list like that, a G figure was taking like 10 minutes to pop into the scene. Now that I got rid of all the errors, it's less than a minute, and I have a lot more stuff than I did back then.

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181

Character seems to take a normal amount of time to load maybe 30 seconds. Note that the errors ONLY appear in the log, there are no warnings or errors in Daz Studio user interface. It's just I click on character, click on expression in Smart Content, and nothing happens at all. There is not even an entry in "undo" as it never seems to register at all.

If I use an already posed character from a scene I copied from other PC, when I click any of the problematic expressions it acts as a ZERO and resets her face to default. However new expression canot be applied as nothing hapens when clicked.

I was hoping maybe I could get away with reinstalling the Genesis 8 Starting Assets and maybe my couple hundred G8 females, instead of the whole 1-1/2 terrabytes of content from DAZ. At least I was a smart boy and have all the install packages saved.

• Do you have the basic morph packs isntalled?

edited February 26

According to DIM, I have Default Resources for 4.20+, G8 Male & Female Starter Essentials, Genesis 8 Male & Female Body Morphs, and Genesis 8 Male & Female Head Morphs installed. Note that there is a G8 Male in the scene in question, and so far have found no problems with using expressions on him. It seems to be only the G8 Females.

I first noticed this when trying to use either of the 100 Must Have Expressions for G8 Females packs, then noticed that the Beautiful Warrior Expressions didn't work either.

HOWEVER some packs do work. I was able to apply an expression from ZFeminine Essence Poses and Expressions for G8 pack.

Also since I can load a scene copied from other computer, and the PC in question does load the character with the expression intact, the expression files must exist? I checked on my data hard drive and all of the files for the 100 Must Have packs and the Beautiful Warrior pack are present in the locations specified in the documentation for those products.

It is a problem of trying to apply them on the newer PC if I want to change the expression without having to go back to the older PC I use for scene setup.

Thank you.

Body Morphs.png
    1122 x 973 - 201K
    Default Resources.png
    1162 x 978 - 179K
    Head Morphs.png
    1249 x 1042 - 318K
    Starter Essentials.png
    1262 x 1046 - 415K
    Expressions.png
    1034 x 2444 - 839K
  • Some expressions use the basic Genesis 8 expressions set, some manipulate the basic expression proeprties directly - you do not appear to have the expressions set, so that may account for the difference.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,848

All of those JSON warnings makes me wonder if your Alexandra 8 DUF is corrupt.

Most of those "Warnings" in the log are "missing files" problem is that vast majority are files from the started essentials and/or the head and body morph packs, which DIM shows as being installed.

It is every G8 female I have tried, not just Alexandra. In the screenshot from DIM of the list of expression packs, it lists "Genesis 8 Female Expressions."

I assume it is probably some kind of data files corruption or something.

Maybe I'll have to spend a day or two uninstalling everything from DIM, uninstalling DAZ program, making sure database is deleted etc. then start reinstalling it all.

I'd rather have to do it now before I have to use the machine regularly for bigger projects.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,525

Do you log in to Daz Studio?

Never logged into DAZ on that machine. It is used without an Internet connection, except for about a year ago when I set up Windows and used DIM to download all my content from here onto it. I use USB flash drives to transfer scene files and render images back and forth between that PC and the one I use for everything but rendering. I was just trying to streamline my workflow by being able to change things in the scene without having to go back to the other computer.

I have backed up some things, like textures I used Scene Optimizer on, converted props and poses, scene files, scene subsets, 3rd party content.

Tomorrow I think I will just have DIM mass uninstall all 3500+ products, uninstall the DAZ program, make sure the database is wiped, and then just start over on that machine. At least I should still have all the install packages saved.

edited March 1

UPDATE: OK so I was looking at the wrong set of base expressions. What I want is apparently the ones in "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base Pose Head" but the question remains the same: if the expressions work on this PC, would it be safe to just copy them over to the rendering PC and overwrite any files in that folder?

Long version: uninstalled all products via DIM, made sure any remnants of data and runtime folders were deleted, uninstalled Daz Studio.

Rebooted PC.Reinstalled Daz Studio. Reinstalled all 3670 products via DIM from saved installer packages.

Launched Daz Studio. Loaded a G8F. Clicked on an expression in Smart Content. Daz Studio just exits with no error message.

Launched Daz Studio again. Loaded a different G8F. Clicked on expression from Smart Content.STILL DIDN'T WORK. No expressions will apply to figure.

And I just realized I forgot to re-enter DS serial# after re-installing DS. I'll check tomorrow if that has anything to do with it.

edited March 1

Could someone look over this log?

Update: still not working, but only one kind of error in the log now. ("Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path:")

Made sure DS serial# was entered. restarted DS. Exited Daz Studio.

Downloaded G8F Started Essentials manual installer. Copied over base poses head, expressions, correctives, flexions, folders to overwrite the files on the rendering PC.

Launched Daz Studio. Loaded Bridget 8. Clicked on expression from "100 Must have Expressions for G8F" pack.

Nothing happened at all. Viewed log, saved a copy.

Both full log and the relevant portion (removed huge program startup section) are attached.

Thank you.

(I found this old thread of similar problem, but not exactly sure what to do if is same issue?)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/400846/warning-errors-could-not-adjust-thumbnail-path-from-support-path

txt
    txt
    log3.txt
    txt
    txt
    log2.txt

Show us the content folders in Content Directory Manager. Expand all of them like in the second snapshot.

PathToContDirMan.jpg
    564 x 532 - 51K
    ContDirMan.jpg
    384 x 240 - 11K
    edited March 1

Screenshot of Content Directories.

Note that there is NO content installed on the C: Drive at all (those folders are confirmed EMPTY); just the DAZ Studio program and the CMS database.

(Although I must not have managed to wipe all the user data when uninstalling / reinstalling DS, as I did not remap the directories yet after reinstall but they still show up here.)

Content Directory.png
    926 x 1050 - 206K
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,707

You are saying that you have no content on C drive. But where is your Daz Studio content then installed?

edited March 1

Remove the unused Content Folders from Content Directory Manager, now DS is first looking for the content in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My Daz 3D Library"

Like Felis said, you don't seem to have a Content Library for Daz Content if it isn't in that folder on C-drive

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited March 1

All my content is on the D: drive, not the C: drive.

Oh I think I see what you mean, the content is actually in D:\Daz3D\Daz Studio\My Library but I never remapped that path from the default yet.

I'll give that a try and also remove the unused directory entries.and see what happens.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,707

If you have your Daz content in D:\Daz3D\Daz Studio\My Library, then you will have nested folders.

One content library must not be contained in another.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,848

I suspect that what is happening is your content directories aren't set right, which means Smart Content can't find anything, which would explain the error messages.
    DS has a cache, so if DS and the CMS are loading G8F from the cache, then that would explain why you get a figure instead of a bunch of boxes, it would also explain why your expressions aren't working, any DSF files not in the cache wont be loaded.

felis said:

If you have your Daz content in D:\Daz3D\Daz Studio\My Library, then you will have nested folders.

One content library must not be contained in another.

So I should move the 3rd-Party Libraries up a level in the folder hierarchy so they are not inside the main DAZ library?

The issue with the expressions seems to be fixed once I corrected the base directories entries.