Windows 10 Update keeps failing

N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

The update is: 2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB503441)

Error: 0x80070643

I know a lot of people have had the same issue since the update was released. So I was wondering if anyone here was still having the same issue. Or whether anyone has found a workaround and has managed to update their system.

Comments

• I am not clear that you need this if, as I do, you have the later Cumulative Update - 2024-2. Still, this does offer instructions for adressing what appears to eb the main cause of the problem - though I am not greatly inclined to try it https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

Richard Haseltine said:

I am not clear that you need this if, as I do, you have the later Cumulative Update - 2024-2. Still, this does offer instructions for adressing what appears to eb the main cause of the problem - though I am not greatly inclined to try it https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf

Thanks. But I'm stunned.

Neither of my computers have recovery partitions. I lost the recovery partition on my laptop when Windows 10 was first installed onto it, and it's nowhere near the size that's needed for this. 

Is Microsoft going to pay for the repair if I mess this up?

I just as well take the computer to the shop now. Because (if I do this) it's either going to end up there through my own idiocy, or I should just pay the to guy update it for me anyway - Having said that, the latter is probably going to be the cheaper option. 

Thanks, again.smiley

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,852

What I've read elsewhere is that it's reasonably safe to skip that specific update. The security issue that it addresses requires you to have run Bitlocker encryption AND for an attacker to have physical access to your computer. Moreover, resizing the partition doesn't always help; there are cases of people who doubled the size of the recovery partition and still couldn't get it to run. If you don't even have a recovery partition, then you'll never be able to get it to run. I've seen several recommendations to hide and/or just ignore that specific update.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,962

I had this leading up to my C drive failure surprise

not meaning to worry you but back ups in case are probably a good idea

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,013

I block updates for as long as possible. I'll probably have to take one on March 14. That will be some sort of cumulative thing. Then I'll lock it down again. You can actually turn off the updating services and use your firewall to block some of the stuff MS sends to do the downloads. I don't recommend doing that, though I've done it before. If I have to worry about an update bricking my system, I'll go back to doing that.  

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,962

Thanks for this thread. Just turned on my Win 10 desktop and got the same error. Remembered seeing this thread and read it. Will ignor the error and carry on with the Nvidia update that came in since I had this computer turned off. 

Guess Microsoft is getting up use to no updates come Sept 2024?

• memcneil70 said:

Thanks for this thread. Just turned on my Win 10 desktop and got the same error. Remembered seeing this thread and read it. Will ignor the error and carry on with the Nvidia update that came in since I had this computer turned off. 

Guess Microsoft is getting up use to no updates come Sept 2024?

I think you are a year and a month premature there.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,962

That is great. My flatmate has Win 10 on his 1990s desktop and it is limping along, as well as his 2018 laptop that is his newest computer of the odd 5 or 6 he has. Both of our iMacs were abandoned by Apple a couple years ago.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I hope it isn't. My cooker/oven is acting up.

Having said that, after the last year, I wouldn't be surprised if it did fail. 

At this point, I'm starting to think that I've been cursed.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,365

N-RArts said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  You probably spend a lot of time playing with cursors.indecision 

LeatherGryphon said:

N-RArts said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  You probably spend a lot of time playing with cursors.indecision 

*Ba-dum, cymbal crash* 

My first chuckle for the day. Thank you :)

edited March 1

now I have an update that will not install

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070643)

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070643)

That's it. That's what this thread is about. That's the one that you have to resize a partition for, in order to download and install it.

N-RArts said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

That's it. That's what this thread is about. That's the one that you have to resize a partition for, in order to download and install it.

they must have just rolled it out for us down here

stuff that, they can fix it or like many others I will just ignore it like I do the Win11 push 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,013

N-RArts said:

I think we can agree, resizing a drive partition is not a reasonable action for accepting an update. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,846
    edited March 2

(delete)

Post edited by Hylas on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,846
    edited March 2

ok, re KB503441:

If your running PC does not have a WinRE recovery partition, you do not need this update.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8

Here's how to ignore specific updates: https://www.itechtics.com/hide-update-install-windows-10/

Post edited by Hylas on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

N-RArts said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

they must have just rolled it out for us down here

stuff that, they can fix it or like many others I will just ignore it like I do the Win11 push 

From what I've read over the past couple of months, people have been waiting for a fix since the initial release back in January. Apparently, resizing the partition is the answer.

Neither of my computers can be updated to Windows 11. Which in a way is a shame, because I actually like it (except for the privacy stuff - Microsoft can keep that).

Torquinox said:

N-RArts said:

I think we can agree, resizing a drive partition is not a reasonable action for accepting an update. 

Abso-fricken-lutely.

Hylas said:

ok, re KB503441:

If your running PC does not have a WinRE recovery partition, you do not need this update.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8

Here's how to ignore specific updates: https://www.itechtics.com/hide-update-install-windows-10/

Thank you. I was wondering how to do this yes