Moving a model mesh and its skleleton

I've cut away most of a human figure to create a rigged and morph-rich sub-figure (think of say a severed hand which will be used to terrorise any number of genesis generations trapped in a haunted house) and saved the result as its own new figure asset.

BUT the kept mesh and skeleton are in the same relative location and orientation as they were on the original human figure.  I'd like to be able to set the figure up so that, for instance, it is sitting on the floor on its wrist stump waiting to beckon some unsuspecting genesis to its doom.  

I can, of course, do this by moving the figure in the scene, but I'm wondering if there is a way move  the entire skeleton to the new origin (0, something, 0) and the new orientation, and with the skleleton, the mesh, so that the figure loads in this more "neutral" position no longer reflecting the figure's original position on the source human figure.

I did try a transfer utility job on a relocated / reoriented prop mesh, but that appears to be based around an assumption that the new mesh is pretty much where the old mesh was and so mostly failed to be useful.

Thoughts?  Cheers, Lx