(SOLVED) SSD 100% usage on loading (and staying @ 100%)

veenveen Posts: 132

Hello all together.

Since a vew months I have a problem that even myself as IT tech cannot solve it. I have a very HI-end machine to run Daz Studio and a vew heavy games. Once I fired up DS and loading one of my own characters or original characters my SSD D:/ drive reaching 100% with zero read/write speed. If the character is loaded then I will add some hair and clothing and at this point DS seems to hang and my SSD going at full 100%. In my search to tackle this problem I tryed almost every tip I could think about:

• Reinstalled PostgreSQL
  • Renewed Content DB
  • Disabled indexing of files
  • System has Plenty but not to much space for pagefile.sys
  • Trying to work without internet and AV
  • Cleaned every directory with temp files created trough DS
  • Updated all system drivers and SSD firmware
  • Re-installed my AV(Symantec Endpoint Protection)
  • Uninstalled stuff to gain enough free space on the SSD D:/
  • Stopped Shitty services (I know what I'm doing)
  • Optimized powerplan
  • Removed updates that cause SSD problems (There were a vew past months)

System specs:

• RTX 4090
  • 1000 Watt PSU
  • 64GB RAM
  • 2x 2TB SSD (no raid drivers used)
  • MSI Z690 Tomahawk motherboard

My OS is Windows 11 pro on C:/ Program Files/Daz Studio/blablabla and my content on D:/DATA/My Daz Library

I hope someone can help me to tackle this, as it was at least for 2 weeks becouse I'm in the middle of a vew projects that needs to be finished. After that I'm doing a huge upgrade with heavy duty RAM and Motherboard so I need to do a clean install than.

Naamloos.jpg
2048 x 2048 - 281K
Post edited by veen on

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Are you using the SSD for your virtual memory? Try switching it to another drive.

• veenveen Posts: 132

Fishtales said:

Are you using the SSD for your virtual memory? Try switching it to another drive.

It is turned of for that SSD

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869

mmm you made me check,

apparently a pagefiile exists on my C drive according to Voidtools Everything but I don't see it in explorer

it's not very big but shouldn't be there at all, I may need to go into properties and move or disable it

I don't have system files hidden so don't know why it's not visible

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076

veen said:

Fishtales said:

What about the DS temp folder (Edit>Preferences)? Though it shouldn't usually be that active.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

Have you turned indexing off?

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Does Task Manager show which process is accessing the disk?

Richard Haseltine said:

veen said:

Fishtales said:

What about the DS temp folder (Edit>Preferences)? Though it shouldn't usually be that active.

It doesn't affect the strange behavior. Tryed it many times.

prixat said:

Does Task Manager show which process is accessing the disk?

No, sadly not.

PerttiA said:

Have you turned indexing off?

Yes but didn't help.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,068

What format is the disk (ntfs, FAT32, ExFAT)?

Open the resotce monitor in task manager; the overview will show which file(s) are being accessed and the disk view will show which processes are using disk.

namffuak said:

What format is the disk (ntfs, FAT32, ExFAT)?

Open the resotce monitor in task manager; the overview will show which file(s) are being accessed and the disk view will show which processes are using disk.

NTFS

There are no read or write actions so the answer on your second question cannot be answered (already tryed that too)

Under 'Manage Drives and Volumes' it should show you the Health and Life Remaining for the drive.

prixat said:

Under 'Manage Drives and Volumes' it should show you the Health and Life Remaining for the drive.

I checked that, everything is fine

Have you tried the drive in a different slot?

prixat said:

Have you tried the drive in a different slot?

yes, like I said earlyer  I tryed everything. I'm IT professional but I cannot tackle this one problem.

This afternoon I disabled PostgreSQL and was able to finish my most important projects. Over 2 weeks I gonna upgrade my 1 year old PC with a shitload of new "faster" parts. Still curious what will solve this problem.

Then it could be an incompatible SSD.

Windows catches an error, sends a reset to the SSD and is stuck in an infinite timeout, waiting for a confirmation that never arrives.

Did you try another make of SSD?

prixat said:

Then it could be an incompatible SSD.

Windows catches an error, sends a reset to the SSD and is stuck in an infinite timeout, waiting for a confirmation that never arrives.

Did you try another make of SSD?

No this problem only exist with Daz studio, both SSD cards are 1 year in use.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

Have you installed the HEAT plugin?

PerttiA said:

Have you installed the HEAT plugin?

No