Daz crashing frequently with new release.

2»

Comments

• john_antkowiakjohn_antkowiak Posts: 334
    edited March 15

Hi, everyone,

I thought I'd chime in because I was having a similar problem at first. (I just installed the new version two days ago.) At the time I first opened it, I could barely get it to function. I had been using my previous version (not the next most recent) for a few light-duty sketches and mock-ups. Nothing fancy, sometimes only textured primitives. The point there is, I was using Studio similarly to the way I tried it with the new version. The old one worked fine, the new one could barely manage to pose a new figure and handle a Surface channel tweak. On one occasion I managed to get as far as turning the Viewport mode from Texture Shaded to Iray before Studio bllnked off. 

Then, even though my Windows Task Manager said I was only using 50% memory without Studio running, I decided to try shutting down other applications. I do tend to have a lot of browser tabs running, Word, Excel, text files, Skype, and even Solitaire pretty much always open. (That's what I meant when I said I was using the old version the same way: meaning, in a similar state of computer usage.) But once I shut most of it down, Studio hasn't even hiccupped once and I've been running it nonstop for 18 hours to work out a few figure designs. Granted, I haven't tried spot rendering or Viewport rendering yet but all else works fine. And I'm back up to 23 browser tabs open right now but still little else. I'll close some before I try to render, when that time comes.

Just in case any of that is relevant.

Post edited by john_antkowiak on
  • Was having essentially the same issues as others have described, with DAZ seemingly building its RAM use if left idle until the GUI just disappeared. Notably the app itself was still running in Task Manager, still pulling lots of resources, and DAZ could not be "restarted" until that was shut down by ending the process. I wonder if those who report having to restart their computers could have simply ended the process and been able to restart DAZ.

But, after not only disabling the HEAT plug-in but also erasing the associated folder and .dll file, I ran DAZ all day yesterday and did overnight renders without a repeat of the issue. So... does seem there may be something to that as far as a fix if anyone else is having this issue.

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 165

As a fun side effect it will not restart unless I restart the system 

I would suggest seeing if it's still showing in Task manager. If it is, you can end task it there and then relaunch the software without a Windows restart.

For me 4.22.015 has been the most unstable release of Daz in a long time. I don't know if its the 0.15 itself or some other aspect - ie someone mentioned the heat plugin a few posts ago, or some Nvidia driver issue that only affects Daz etc.

Fingers crossed with .016 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,570

The original Heat plugin had a serious resource leak. We have been told that the plugin has been updated a few days ago.

• Ricochet180Ricochet180 Posts: 38

So, following up - after many renders, still no issue since removing the HEAT plugin. It's been as solid as ... well, as expected with DAZ.

Not sure I want to try the update :)

• PerttiA said:

The original Heat plugin had a serious resource leak. We have been told that the plugin has been updated a few days ago.

Ah, should have checked this thread first. I'd asked you a follow up question on what you posted on the other thread on this topic, but this answers it. Thank you. :) 

• Ricochet180 said:

So, following up - after many renders, still no issue since removing the HEAT plugin. It's been as solid as ... well, as expected with DAZ.

Not sure I want to try the update :)

Well, look at it this way. If you try it and Daz starts gobbling resources on idle and the GUI says, "See ya!" you at least know what to do about it. :) 

I'm going to give it a shot.

• agent_537agent_537 Posts: 8

Getting the same crash here.     Can happen either mid render,  or  just having the program open idle for some time, even on a blank scene.  

Log is flooded with these two events

QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)

QWidget::create: Failed to create window (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)

I feel like it started after this recent march madness sale. I bought some items, installed them with DIM, now Daz crashes a lot.    As part of my purchases, I did include the new Heat plugin.  I'd have to check the order history but I dont think i bought any other new plugins.   Will try disabling the Heat plugin now to see if the crashes go away.  

Daz 4.22.1.99 pulic build.  Nvidia game ready driver 551.76   on a GeForce RTX 4090.   Win11.

Note: crash is not happening on my other computer with  Daz  installed version 4.22.1.88.  I did not install Heat plugin on that one, but they share the same content library.  

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

Uninstall Heat as it causes these errors and crashes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,295

Fishtales said:

The update, from a few days after the DS update, seems to have alrgely resolved the issue for many suers (though there is still a problem that is being worked on, as I understand it).

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

Richard Haseltine said:

Fishtales said:

The update, from a few days after the DS update, seems to have alrgely resolved the issue for many suers (though there is still a problem that is being worked on, as I understand it).

I was going by this.

QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)

Which was pointing at Heat in the other posts. 

Fishtales said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Fishtales said:

I was going by this.

Which was pointing at Heat in the other posts. 

Sorry, I meant the update to HEAT.

• ExperimenterExperimenter Posts: 162

over the weekend I tried different this to end this problem without success. I deinstalled Heat, reinstalled Heat. I updated DAZ, I deinstalled and reinstalled DAZ. I installed it a new on a different place. Nothing worked.

I can start DAZ and it worked fine for a few hours (2-4 hours). I can do all I want, render or load or manipulate. At one point it froze or close without warning. It happen when I load a new scene, load a saved scene, or selected a figure in the scene, posing/placing something in a running scene.

Is there something new I can do?

Did you update HEAT? Which version are you using?

For DAZ 4.22.016

For Heat, I do not found the number, but I deleat the installfile from the Install Manager and download it and installed it today again

Has (possibly) updating HEAT helped with the issue or does it persist?

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Since I read this thread I never installed the heat plugin, but DAZ still behave strangely.

When I start it, all is ok, but after a while all gets slower and slower and it's impossible to work with it because of all the delays.

Even to save a scene is that a challenge and could take 3-10 minutes or even more.

This happens even when I work only with one figure and an empty scene.

Any chance for a update or reroll? I have bought a lot of things in the last few weeks and is annoying that I could not really try them out. :(

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Frequent crashes, mostly when loading materials on a figure using Iray preview on simple scenes. I'm not running HEAT. Using 4.22.0.16 public beta with 551.86 NVIDIA studio driver. The software is noticeably more unstable than previous versions.

StratDragon said:

Frequent crashes, mostly when loading materials on a figure using Iray preview on simple scenes. I'm not running HEAT. Using 4.22.0.16 public beta with 551.86 NVIDIA studio driver. The software is noticeably more unstable than previous versions.

What happens if you roll your driver back to the minimum version required? nVidia updates have occasionally caused breakages in the past.

edited April 4

Richard Haseltine said:

Has (possibly) updating HEAT helped with the issue or does it persist?

No, the problem is the same. DAZ works for a few hours (3 to 5 hours most of the time) before it stops working or close without warning.

Post edited by Experimenter on
  • HeckbarthHeckbarth Posts: 61

jhogenboom_da69c035a9 said:

I took the heat.dll out of C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins  manually. DIM didn't touch it. Now DAZ seems to be back to normal.I don't know if you'd need to restart DAZ or not since DAZ had crashed yet again

right before I did this.

Thanks very much! I got completely frustrated by an irresponsive DAZ Studio and loads of

"
    2024-04-07 16:22:12.969 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)
    "

error messages. After removing the HEAT.dll (why uppercase b.t.w.), all these problems are gone and DAZ reacts smoothly again. What a relief - thank you!

• HeckbarthHeckbarth Posts: 61

Heckbarth said:

jhogenboom_da69c035a9 said:

I took the heat.dll out of C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins  manually. DIM didn't touch it. Now DAZ seems to be back to normal.I don't know if you'd need to restart DAZ or not since DAZ had crashed yet again

right before I did this.

Thanks very much! I got completely frustrated by an irresponsive DAZ Studio and loads of

"
    2024-04-07 16:22:12.969 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)
    "

error messages. After removing the HEAT.dll (why uppercase b.t.w.), all these problems are gone and DAZ reacts smoothly again. What a relief - thank you!

HEAT -> Though their footer mentions a trademark "© 2023 Heat™" (https://heat.tech/), they constantly name the product "HEAT". Got it.

I won't use the plugin at all as it changes DAZ to be completely unusable for me. Thanks for the time wasted.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,822

I don't have any strange behavior with the latest DS at all.

• uninstalling HEAT, and unchecking the plugin for it too, fixed it for me. 

• rcallicottercallicotte Posts: 27

Same problem here.

rcallicotte said:

Same problem here.

And do you or don't you have the HEAT plug-in installed?

• elhectroelhectro Posts: 51

Have the same problem. Heat uninstalled, latest DAZ version installed, and Daz keeps shuting down between 1-3 hours of work. Sadly, I got used to it and know that the only thing I can do is to save very frequently. Guess this will be among the bugs that will never be fixed...

elhectro said:

Have the same problem. Heat uninstalled, latest DAZ version installed, and Daz keeps shuting down between 1-3 hours of work. Sadly, I got used to it and know that the only thing I can do is to save very frequently. Guess this will be among the bugs that will never be fixed...

Have you reported the issue, ataching the crash report (if you get one) and log file?

After deleat the HEAT-Plugin and reinstall DAZ-Studio, DAZ works again like before.

I tested it with different settings, rendered a few pictures and changed the scene three times in a minute. Before DAZ crashed or closed without warning for each issue on its own.

I do not know what fixed the problem but now DAZ works again.

Thank you all for your support