Files no longer saving

Spacewarper7Spacewarper7 Posts: 135

Working on some new scenes,  I have just discovered that DAZ STudio is no longer saving no files. Figuring I had too many files under Scenes I simply re-labeled Scenes to something else and made a new Scenes file; moving a small percentage of my more recent files to it. Was good to go for a few days but now DAZ is refusing to save my files again, making me wonder if changing to a new Scenes file working was only a coincidence or something. I can't be out of room in Scenes again already, and I am deeply puzzled. I don't want to create scenes I can't save for further use later. It's not a lack of spaace in the drive I am using; it is only about 30% full. Can anybody tell me what could possibly be going wrong and how to fix it? I am completely baffled.

Post edited by Spacewarper7 on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

When you click Save with the new scene, anything happened ? A Save dialogue box popped up ? You got any error message... etc. ?

• Spacewarper7Spacewarper7 Posts: 135
    edited March 3

crosswind said:

When you click Save with the new scene, anything happened ? A Save dialogue box popped up ? You got any error message... etc. ?

No error message. The usual box allowing me to save a new files *does* appear.  I even get the box you're supposed to get when saving an older file under a new name. But nothing gets saved, and the number of saved files remains static as well which I only thought to check once I realized I could not find my new files.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076

Where are you looking for tyour saved scenes - in Smart Content/Content Library>Categories or in Content Library>Daz Studio Formats? If it's one of the former, can you see them in the latter?

edited March 3

Richard Haseltine said:

Where are you looking for tyour saved scenes - in Smart Content/Content Library>Categories or in Content Library>Daz Studio Formats? If it's one of the former, can you see them in the latter?

I have no idea what or where either of those are; I see no such subdivions in the Smart Content, which I never used for saving .duf files anyway. I just look in Content Content/My Library/Scenes, which is where I have always saved my files to and where I can find them all now - save for the recent files it has been failing to save at all. 

Btw the program still saves my renders just fine in case there is any confusion on that score. It's my .duf files that are not getting saved.

Post edited by Spacewarper7 on

Spacewarper7 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I have no idea what or where either of those are; I see no such subdivions in the Smart Content, which I never used for saving .duf files anyway. I just look in Content Content/My Library/Scenes, which is where I have always saved my files to and where I can find them all now - save for the recent files it has been failing to save at all. I wonder if you are minunderstanding what my problem is.

So you are looking on disc, through a file browser? Or in the Content Library pane under Daz Studio Formats>My Library>Scenes? Do theya ppear, and load, from the recent tab under File>New?

Btw the program still saves my renders just fine in case there is any confusion on that score. It's my .duf files that are not getting saved.

edited March 3

R

So you are looking on disc, through a file browser? Or in the Content Library pane under Daz Studio Formats>My Library>Scenes? Do theya ppear, and load, from the recent tab under File>New

I am, while running DAZ, looking at the Content Library Tab, the My Library tab below that, and Scenes below that. I have also looked in Scenes itself on the external drive I am using to access it, which I guess is the first option you listed? Neither shows the recent files I tried to save but shows all the files I saved previously up to early yesterday (save for the period around January 30 when the files were also failing to save). As for the secnd option you listed, I have no idea what that is, as I can find nothing called DAZ Studio formats inside the Content Library tab. I find DAZ and DAZ Studio but neither of those contain any of the .duf files I use.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

Stupid question, have you run out of space on the drive where you are trying to save the scenes?

edited March 3

PerttiA said:

Stupid question, have you run out of space on the drive where you are trying to save the scenes?

Nope. Nowhere near running out. One of the first things I checked. I have 700 GB left free on a 1 TB drive.

Did think I was hitting a limit in the program itself rather than on my disc at first, but moving most of my files I do not need right away should have fixed that problem. It did for a few days, but now it acts the same as before despite having a bit over 3000 files in it instead of roughly 20,000. So near as i can tell space (at least by itself) must not be the problem. But i admit I am no expert on these kinds of things. 

edited March 3

Daz studio Formats should be one of the top-level containers in the Content Library pane - then My Library would be inside that.

Is it possible that oneDrie has decided to move your files into itself?

The File Menu has a New command (or hit ctrl N) which has a few tabs, including Recent - my question was whether the files were listed there, and if they were whether they loaded. if you have an older DS, or have tweaked the UI, you may isntead have an Open Recent sub-menu in the File menu - again, are the apparently missing files listed there, and if they are do they open?

Content Library.jpg
    408 x 354 - 24K
    edited March 4

Richard Haseltine said:

Okay, I am finding latter of the two now; my bad as i never noticd the DAZ Studio Formats tab before. It shows the files It's been saving; it does not show the ones it has been skipping lately.

But I still do not see Conteent Library or Categories under Smart Content.  Here's what i do see there.

DAZ.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 193K

What is the physical location (starting from the drive letter) where you are saving the scenes?

edited March 4

PerttiA said:

What is the physical location (starting from the drive letter) where you are saving the scenes?

D > DAZ 3D MD > Studio > My Library > Scenes

Except for the drive sometimes (i have to replace them every few years) this is how I have arranged my DAZ .duf files for at least 12 years. Never had any troubvle until now.

Daz Studio Formats, products, and categories are in the Content Library pane. What about the Rcent Files list - the tab in the New Scene dialogue, or the File>Open Recent sub menu if you still have that?

edited March 4

Richard Haseltine said:

Daz Studio Formats, products, and categories are in the Content Library pane. What about the Rcent Files list - the tab in the New Scene dialogue, or the File>Open Recent sub menu if you still have that?

I have no idea what or where those are. Afaik I jave never seen such tabs anywhere in DAZ.

Spacewarper7 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I have no idea what or where those are. Afaik I jave never seen such tabs anywhere in DAZ.

The File menu is the first entry in the menus (not panes/tabs) along the top, the main menu bar. It may, though probably not, have an Open Recent sub-menu - otherwise clicking New will opena  dialogue box divided into tabs, click the recent tab. Whether you are looking at the menu or the tab in the dialogue it should list some files - are they the recent saves that are not where they should be, and if they are will they open if you select them?

edited March 6

Richard Haseltine said:

Spacewarper7 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The File menu is the first entry in the menus (not panes/tabs) along the top, the main menu bar. It may, though probably not, have an Open Recent sub-menu - otherwise clicking New will opena  dialogue box divided into tabs, click the recent tab. Whether you are looking at the menu or the tab in the dialogue it should list some files - are they the recent saves that are not where they should be, and if they are will they open if you select them?

That is what I am trying to tell you. I find an open bar under files all right, but it only leads to my render Library and my DAZConnect Library. There's absolutely nothing about opening recent sub-menus anywhere there, so I don't know how I can do what you are suggesting there.  There are no other open tabs anywhere under Files; at least on *my* computer.

When I clcik New something appears for a fraction pf a second but disappears before I can read anything on it let alone tell what it does.

File.PNG
    322 x 173 - 47K

I am fully aware of where the File menu is. I have no idea what I said that implies that I didn't. I have been doing DAZ renders for over twelves years at this point!

In any case I simply moved my scenes to a different external drive, where for now at least it works. I was hoping however to get some useful iunformation telling me why DAZ is no longer saving my files in my D drive, since I have no way to know if and when it will start failing to save in my F drive either. Please just assume it's failing to save my files as all evidence I have indicates is the case and give me some clues how and why this can happen.

Well, if you have no Open Recent submenu and are using an older version that just gives you a new, blank scene on File new then that does prove that they really are not saving/staying put after saving (rather than being saved to a different folder for some reason, in which case the recent files list would populate). It dosn't rule out something like OneDrive moving a successful save  (the recent files won't show if their reference is missing).

edited March 6

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, if you have no Open Recent submenu and are using an older version that just gives you a new, blank scene on File new then that does prove that they really are not saving/staying put after saving (rather than being saved to a different folder for some reason, in which case the recent files list would populate). It dosn't rule out something like OneDrive moving a successful save  (the recent files won't show if their reference is missing).

I'm still using DAZ 4.12 if that's what you mean by an older version. I have bought very few DAZmodels in the last couple of years so saw no real reason to upgrade. 

So anyway you're saying you don't know precisely what is happening so that I can make it run normally? If so, well darn. It works now having moved everything to a different (this time external) drive, but it'd be nice to know what is causing this in case it happens again anytime soon.

(Edited by mod to fix quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on

Hmm, I think 4.12 should have the Open recent list. One way to check would be to open (not merge) a scene (any scene) and see if the sub-menu appears in the file menu - 4.12 is certainly too old to have the File>New dialogue box, so that bit doesn't apply.

edited March 9

Richard Haseltine said:

Hmm, I think 4.12 should have the Open recent list. One way to check would be to open (not merge) a scene (any scene) and see if the sub-menu appears in the file menu - 4.12 is certainly too old to have the File>New dialogue box, so that bit doesn't apply.

Okay, my files are refusing to save again so I definitely gave your suggestion a try as soon as I saw it. Found the tab (a minor miracle in itself seeing as it's me). And it actually works. So that's good. Glad to know my files are not being lost after all. 

But what does that tell us about what is happening to the files I am trying to save, and why I cannot access them the normal way?  If they're actually being saved somewhere, how can I access them the normal way? I can't as far as I can tell access this methord for files I have not used in a while (I am sure the word recent is there for a good reason after all), and I save literally dozens of .duf files every day I work on DAZ.

I sure hope this gives you or someone the information I need to fix this problem (especially as it is now obviously recurring); it's got me totally bewildered. I may use DAZ a lot, but my understanding of dealing with technical problems isn't too great I'm afraid.

Anyway thank you for the help so far.

Try starting a new scene, add a primitive or something, and hit File>Save (or press ctrl S) - that should open a file dialogue, and it should show the location to which it is saving at the top - is that the folder you expect it to be using?

edited March 9

Richard Haseltine said:

Try starting a new scene, add a primitive or something, and hit File>Save (or press ctrl S) - that should open a file dialogue, and it should show the location to which it is saving at the top - is that the folder you expect it to be using?

LOL! GAAAHHH! NO!!! It's not! It moved it over to Camera presets, for some reason. But at least it let me change it back to Scenes, where I want it to go. Looks like my other lost scenes - before I quit bothering to save them thinking they were gone forever anyway - went to the same place. I have no idea why the heck the program chose that, but at least now I know.  You have any ideas why it did that - and apparently keeps doing it? In twelve years it never did this to me prior to two weeks ago. 

Hopefully it will keep the switchover I made back to Scenes. It'll be a pain in the butt if I have to adjust it to Scenes by hand every darned time!

Well, I learned something new. Weird as heck, but new. Again, thank you for the help.

Thank you for the help. 

The different save filters (scenes and the presets) should remember the last location used and - assuming it still exists - start there. It is possible that a scene file was saved to the cameras file for some reason, by you or possibly by a script, and after that it was stuck there until changed. If it happens more than once I would definitely cast a suspicious eye over any scripts you use that save scenes or presets.

edited March 10

Richard Haseltine said:

The different save filters (scenes and the presets) should remember the last location used and - assuming it still exists - start there. It is possible that a scene file was saved to the cameras file for some reason, by you or possibly by a script, and after that it was stuck there until changed. If it happens more than once I would definitely cast a suspicious eye over any scripts you use that save scenes or presets.

I have never created or used scripts (nor would have any idea how to create any) that weren;t already a part of the program set-up, so I am pretty sure it was not that. The shift to where it saved also seemss unlikely to me just because it never happened in twelve years and yet now has happened three times in two weeks, but you never know. I just hope now that I have actively reset it to send .duf files back to Scenes that the problem is fixed permanently. But even if it recurs at least now I know what to do with fix the problem myself. Thank you again.

(Edited by mod to fix quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on