Bryce and (older) Bryce formats

Past as FuturePast as Future Posts: 141
edited March 5 in Bryce Discussion

Was browsing some old freebies for Bryce and got reminded that Bryce 7 is compatible with Bryce 6, Bryce 5, Bryce 4, Bryce 3D and even Bryce 2 scene files.

I guess same goes for skies, objects and materials as well. I've noticed that if old scene has animation, chances of getting Bryce 7 crashed/freezed are much higher than static scenes. Also some "ancient" object libraries seem to attract crashing issues as well.

What surprised me, I realized thatn .br4 scenes do not contain "document size" information in them, perhaps it started saving it since Bryce 5. Which means if you've recently worked on 1080x1080 scene (for example), then when opening a .br4 file you'll keep that resolution instead of e.g. 800x600 size you would expect. Or maybe it's just a bug in current Bryce? Would like to ask users of previous versions, then.

Besides this... any additional info we should know?

Cheers !

laugh

Post edited by Past as Future on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,128

Past as Future - over time, I tested Bryce versions 4, 5, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1, 6.3 and 7.0 scenes to open in 7.1. Most of them worked though some textures/materials crashed 7.1 but those were maybe defective. The other way around from 7.1 back does not work, there are some scenes that do but most do not and an error pop-up tells that there are some missing parts. Since I have most of the earlier versions still installed, I can open them with the correct version, take a close look at all settings and materials, then try again in 7.1 and do the adjustments. this usually works.