Daz will not create a UserData file even though the log says it did

I was moving my custom categories to a new computer’s DAZ installation, and found out my source computer has not been creating a UserData file since 2022.

After clicking “Export User data” the DAZ log states…

“Writing User data file:  C:/Users/Greg-DS/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/Support/UserData_1.dsx”

…but when the process is over, the file does not show up in the folder specified. I’ve tried several times. So, either the file is not being created, or it is being placed someplace else, but I have done a search of the entire computer for UserData and there is nothing since 2022.  Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Comments

• Here is the log entry...

IMG_1585.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 1M
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076
    edited March 8

Is there space on the drive? Can DS save a preset or scene (any old thing) to that folder? Does the folder contain the product metadata files for content isntalled through DIM or Daz Central since it was last able to write a userdata file? What security software are you using?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • edited March 8

Richard Haseltine said:

Is there space on the drive? Can DS save a preset or scene (any old thing) to that folder? Does the folder contain the product metadata files for content isntalled through DIM or Daz Central since it was last able to write a userdata file? What security software are you using?

Plenty of space on the drive, and no problem saving a scene or preset pose. 

After a bit of searching it looks like at some point DIM started installing content to a second library. 

The original folder that DIM was installing to was….

C:\Users\Greg-DS\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

Then at some point it started installing newer purchases to…

C:\Daz 3D\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library

is this what you mean by your question about product metadata? If so, should i consolidate these 2 folders and try the export then?

Post edited by greghornart_8fc0930be1 on

Does the newer folder have the userdata files? As long s the content directories are connected, which I assume they are or the content wouldn't work, DS should be able to consolidate the metadata (and anyway, it is needed only on reimportting, it isn't used live).

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790
    edited March 9

Press F2, Content tab, Content Directory Manager... As default, User Data are exported to the first path you defined under "Daz Studio Formats"... The dsx files should be there.... I've never seen DS failed to export user data.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

Does the newer folder have the userdata files? As long s the content directories are connected, which I assume they are or the content wouldn't work, DS should be able to consolidate the metadata (and anyway, it is needed only on reimportting, it isn't used live).

The newwer folder does have the more recently installed userdata files ( .dsa & .dsx )  Both directories are listed in my Content Directory Manager, with the older directory in first position to receive the exported userdata_1 file. But i just tried to export user data again, and it will not appear.

In either directory? It should, as you say, go to the first one listed under Daz Studio formats.