Having an issue with lighting on surfaces; how should I fix?

pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181

(I'm not exactly new here, but I'm still barely past the tinkering stage in using Daz Studio. Please bear with me.)

I am trying to make a book coverusing a rendered inage from Daz Studio and some text and postwork in GIMP. (I have already made 2 previous covers in the last couple weeks.)

However this one is kind of unusual in that I have resorted to using primative planes to hide parts of objects / characters so that the overall perspective of the cover matches the other one in this series. See image of the test render (not fully converged). OK forum not cooperative, see link to image at bottom of post.

So the issue I am having is that there are 3 vertical planes dividing up the objects in the scene, a front, middle, and back. However as you can see, some parts of the planes appear as different shades of brown even though I used the same color values on all of them.

I suspect it may be shadows or possibly even reflections of the light from the default Daz HDRI I am using hitting the backs of the planes.

So I guess my real question is would it probably be easier to render the scene as several seperate renders and try to combine them in GIMP as layers? I have only started using GIMP a couple weeks ago, and have no real previous art or photography experience (apart from tinkering with Daz Studio on and off for a few years).

https://www.deviantart.com/spencerhartwriter/art/Fire-in-the-Andes-concept-test-6-1030097868

Post edited by pctech4ny on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

The primitive planes are in different locations, so they catch light from different angles that bring you different visual effect of diffuse / reflection, etc. I personally suggest not to add these planes in the scene, make them with post-work instead.

And certainly you can render with Canvases, then flexibly combine them in GIMP.