roundish ocean primitive, mountain terrain that circles scene

wanting to make like a lil oasis with the ocean primitive.  is there no property to make it round or shave off corners?

been battling all day with terrain scaling.  ideally, would like it to be like a taurus of mountainous terrain circling around the 300ft center.

roundish ocean.JPG
911 x 388 - 76K
alpha oasis.jpg
1600 x 913 - 224K

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Have you tried a circular black and white mask in the alpha channel of the Ocean Primitive shader?

ocean_mask.jpg
    1201 x 567 - 125K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

didnt think could make truly transparent cuz of the other settings.

the reference manual is saying something about absorption for improved shallow water ?

• What other settings do you think would cause problems?

Absorption and In-Scattering are sub-shaders located under transparency.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

any kind of highlight, unless mask would cancel out highlights, fresnel, and such ?  

water shaders so complex

• MistyMist said:

any kind of highlight, unless mask would cancel out highlights, fresnel, and such ?  

water shaders so complex

I don't understand what you mean? If you use an alpha mask to make the edge of the shape round, then anything invisible shouldn't react to highlight and shininess, or any other shader channel.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    MistyMist said:

wanting to make like a lil oasis with the ocean primitive.  is there no property to make it round or shave off corners?

been battling all day with terrain scaling.  ideally, would like it to be like a taurus of mountainous terrain circling around the 300ft center.

The way I do it:

(I don't try to make the Ocean circular)

I create a terrain piece and move it out, away from the camera, say, 300 ft away(?), maybe 125 ft... whatever.

Insert a new target helper object using the Insert menu so it loads 0,0,0

Parent the terrain to the Target Helper Object

(Ctrl D) Duplicate the THO and rotate it until the new terrain is near the edge of the first... or whatever works for what's going on.

That being done, further duplications (unless interrupted by changing selection or using undo) will continue that all the way around the camera.

Just keep duplicating until the terrain completes the circle (or whatever you need).

After that's done, I go through each terrain (or whatever) and do my custom rotate, scale, whatever individualizing I need to do.

*Note - Larger terrains might indeed make it around the scene quicker, but need to be set further away. It all depends upon the individual needs of the scene.

I did that with these buildings

CarraraVClouds4.jpg
    800 x 461 - 334K