A little shout out for Carrara in a Daz Studio promo

I know it's not much, but it does say a lot.

As this whole "Creative Cart" journey continues, there will be a lot more.

Carrara is an important tool in this industry and it also just happens to be one of my favorite tools Ever!

So at around 2:55 in this video, I tell everyone that I'll never - Never Ever!!! - stop using Carrara! 

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,226

I'm also going to demonstrate how cool it can be for making our own VFX.

Furthermore, if we use the same elements and cameras in Carrara as any other software render, we can take advantage of Carrara's many multi-pass render facilities to assist us in post!

It is my hope that, the more Daz 3d sees the importance of Carrara, perhaps they can turn their heads toward developing it again - into the future and beyond!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Cool promo.  Good luck with the creative cart projects!

Diomede said:

Cool promo.  Good luck with the creative cart projects!

Thanks Brother! The hardest part - so far - is trying to remember to fall asleep! 

Speaking of which... hmmm... time to wake up already? I guess I'll have to wait another day to try! LOL

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Dartanbeck said:

I'll never - Never Ever!!! - stop using Carrara! 

Me, too, unless Windows ... OK, even then I'll keep a machine running whatever is needed.  I actually did that for Adobe Pagemaker for a long time, then discovered Xara Page & Layout Designer from Magix which is better anyway.

• therixxtherixx Posts: 91

Thank you as always Dart, for being such a Carrara supporter (and other things, too).

If I understood right, TangoAlpha had to stop using Carrara because his updated Mac OS do not work with it anymore.

Workarounds in cases like that could be:

1) Running Carrara under virtualization of an OS that supports Carrara inside our main OS (like Virtualbox or similar).
    2) Running Carrara under Wine in Linux

edited April 6

Just make sure you have the default Carrara fonts in Linux. When I tried running it using Wine, it seemed to run great, but even though I know may way around Carrara, I was lost with all of the text being little rectangles! Yikes!!!

The hard part is that, when you're under-the-gun to get product out, having to fight just to get software to work turns into a nightmare. I truly hope that some of the new folks at Daz 3d decide that putting Bryce, Hex and Carrara back into perpetual development is as good an idea as it truly is. 

In this day and age, folks are wanting to make and animate art. Carrara, Bryce and Hex are Great tools! It would be (I think) in their best interest to shine them up and present their new versions to the world of 3D artists - not as a subscription-based rent-a-ware, but a nice, perpetual licensed set of apps that people can create art with - without breaking the bank!

I must admit - I have been a DAZ Studio nay-sayer for many years. 

Since I started down the path (strictly because of that Hair!!!) of usind DAZ Studio for animating and rendering, learning more and more about it, the more I love it! Especially the wonderful interface that we can set up Any Way We Want - and even have several layouts that we can swap between if we want to. I don't. But I also don't think that I have mine set up like anyone else either - simply because all I ever do is animate. So I have this on that side, that thing over here....

It did take a little investment to add plugins that bring it closer to what I do, but Daz being Daz, as I find that I need stuff - boom... there it is on sale! LOL

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I'll remember the fonts tip, Dart. I think wine would be nice as I have heard Carrara works properly in it.
    About the rest, I completely agree with you.
    And I hope your being positive will work for our beloved programs, too.
    By the way, it is very nice to see you also on Digital Arts Live. I often attend their webinars and surely like to also be in yours.

Thanks, my firend! 

...and if you can't make it, we can always make our own!!! :)

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 117
    edited April 11

@DAZ 3D — I post it again here

I think what is needed is a working download for the Carrara SDK.

What else is needed visual realtime updates for Modifiers

The Vertexmodeler needs improving (Display preferences what you want to see to reduce consumption of systemresources — display Edges, Vertices or Faces and if you really want to crawl your system to a halt leave it as it is right now and just display everything. Vertices, Edges and Faces all at the same time!!!)

Integrate a better working version of LuxCore!

Make a production-stable Industrystandard Python Plugin Pipeline like in Blender.

UPDATE THE MANUAL

UPDATE THE MANUAL

UPDATE THE MANUAL

AND:

Committ yourself to your customers and don't leave them in the corner with silly popup ads.

Committ yourself!!! Seriously!!!

Answer all support requests!!!

Committment is half the dose needed to be a trustworthy player in the game!

— kind regards —

Post edited by Fettbemme on
    edited April 11

Amen!

I have to say, however, that for me - as long as it keeps working on whatever OS I'm using - I'm happy.

The toughest part is that Carrara, Bryce and Hexagon are truly just products that they brought it. They have developed them quite well while they were developing them, but then I think that they decided that they were pouring too much of their resources into these third-party tools, when they could be spending that energy on their own software - DAZ Studio - which is why it's booming so well.

Being the optimist, I've never taken this as a complete and total loss. I still hold on to the hope that, one day... some cool new person in charge will say: "Dust those things off! I want to see positive results in.... <some insane time frame>

I would absolutely Love and Support any new development on Carrara, Bryce and Hexagon. Truly!

In the meantime, I really Love what they've already done to Carrara. It certainly doesn't owe me anything. I love how I can hop into my beloved Carrara and just quickly create a model using a plethora of options to get there - or I can quickly mock up some animated effects and render them to alpha - or I can make a stunning backdrop - or I can....

Personally, I love the render engine. If they go PBR with Carrara, I think that 'Forward' development would be better spent on an engine that is not already in fear of abandonment. LuxCore is Awesome, but aren't they retiring that development? It's been such a long time since I've looked into it. SphericLabs took it to a pretty cool state. It's a bummer that he dropped it. 

One thing I love about Carrara's render engine is that I don't have to invest in a 537 Bazillion dollar GPU to fit my scenes into it. I can just keep loading stuff, animate it, and render. My Ryzen 7 spools up all 16 threads and gets to work - and it was only a couple hundred dollars that works its tush off for a lot more than just my 3D stuff.

Still. I'd love to see some modern advancements added to this beauty! Still to this day there really isn't any other software that competes with it in my opinion. It does so many different aspects of 3D animation from simple physics to particles to a bazillion and three modifiers, primitives, animated shader capabilities... all of that combined with a Poser/DS library browser? Bam!!! I Loves me my Carrara!!!

edited April 11

Dartanbeck said:

Amen!

I have to say, however, that for me - as long as it keeps working on whatever OS I'm using - I'm happy.

too early to call it Amen

Carrara is so damn good and versitile that I hate to see it catch dust

Carrara has always since the eovia days been on the right track

and development peeked with PBR and 64 bit

that's great. REALLY, I MEAN IT !

That's why we need access to the Carrara SDK

We need a highly committed Plugin-Cafe 

Only in this way we get noticed and DAZ could hire Plugin Developers to polish Carrara and later Bryce and Hexagon or integrate the Programs into a new Carrara altogether.,

— peace —

Post edited by Fettbemme on

yes yes yes 

Wait... is that three thumbs? How on Earth did I pull that one off?!!!

edited April 11

Dartanbeck said:

Wait... is that three thumbs? How on Earth did I pull that one off?!!!

no no no it's those you wanted ?

don't worry, I'm just thinking loud

my [stuff] isn't very popular on what I have to say

I keep it off

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited April 11

What?!!! I love what you were saying!

I was just agreeing in my own, odd way

edited April 11

@Fettbemme, I think most Carrarists (including @Dart, of course) love what you were saying.

Ah, another Carrara feature that needs improvement: the metaballs interface!!!!11!1!1!
    As it is now, it seems to belong to another (not very appealing) program.

Post edited by therixx on

therixx said:

@Fettbemme, I think most Carrarists (including @Dart, of course) love what you were saying.

Ah, another Carrara feature that needs improvement: the metaballs interface!!!!11!1!1!
    As it is now, it seems to belong to another (not very appealing) program.

yeslaugh LOL!!! Indeed!!!

The most success I've ever had with Metaballs was in the particle emitter. Makes great water! ;)