I'm Kinda Confused About 8.1

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,299
edited April 1 in The Commons

This character is on sale and it's for G8.1, now it's my understanding the only difference between G8 and G8.1 is that the later has face bones, otherwise everything else is the same.

With that in mind, do 8.1 morphs and textures work on 8 or am I missing something?

https://www.daz3d.com/vo-da-ji-for-genesis-81-female

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

Comments

• ZiconZicon Posts: 183

You can not use a G8.1 character on a G8 figure. The morphs will not be available on a base G8; the textures may work if they use the G8 UV layout.

As a general rule: G8.1 can do anything G8 can do, but G8 can't do everything G8.1 does.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001

The only fundamental difference if the splitting into surface groups (and then 8.1 has an additional UV mapping that uses the split, which wouldn't work on 8 as a single surface would need tot ake two overlapping maps). The emsh and bones are identical - it's the expression pose controls, driving murliple bones and morphs, that are different. However, as Zicon says, while 8.1 will pick up morphs, UV sets, and so on isntalled to 8 8 will not pick up any of those items installed to 8.1.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,299

Ok thanks, I knew about the uvmapping, cause there was some strong opinions about that when 8.1 came.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

...there is a way to use G8.1 skins on G8, but you need to use the Development Tools to make it work.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001

kyoto kid said:

...there is a way to use G8.1 skins on G8, but you need to use the Development Tools to make it work.

You essentially need to split the surface groups, which means you are using the Genesis 8.1 mesh anyway. Either that or bake the maps, which inevitably degrades them slightly.