Daz being slow all of a sudden

About two weeks ago, I noticed that Daz was suddenly starting to slow up during use.

The program opens just fine, in fact everything is fine at first.

But over the course of an hour or so, the program becomes slower and slower. It's most noticable in the library menus. If I open Daz and click on, say, "Genesis 8 Male," the response is instantaneous, and the nested list of clothing, hair, etc. pops right up. After a while, there's a lag between clicking and opening.

Eventually it gets to the point where everything is lagging, to the point where double-clicking is a challenge because Daz is too bogged down in something to recognize the double-click.

Last night, in the name of Science, I opened Daz, loaded in a G8F figure, opened Task Manager, and walked away for an hour. When I opened the program, Daz was using about 2% of my CPU. An hour later that was up to 10%, without touching anything, adding anything, or moving/rendering anything.

But nothing else seems to be affected. Heck, even rendering seems to be unaffected. Other programs? All running just fine, no lags or crashes anywhere.

Memory and/or disk space issues immediately came to mind, but I seem to have plenty of room (see specs below). I've tested the memory and cleaned up the hard drives without success.

The only thing I can think of is that there's a driver that isn't, well, driving properly.

Some specs, for reference:

Current Daz: 4.21.0.5
Current Beta Daz: 4.22.1.110

Main drive (C:) has 665GB free (out of 1TB)
Daz storage drive (X:) has 1.42TB free (out of 2TB)
Computer memory is 64GB of DDR4 (4 sticks)
GPU Memory is 12GB (nVidia3060)
Nvidia driver: 551.61 Studio Driver (2/22/24)

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,028

Oh, I thought this was only me. I've noticed the same thing. If I have a scene open and I step away for around 20 minutes and return, the program lags like crazy. The only thing that fixes it is closing it down and re-opening it. This happens even if I have nothing save a character standing in the default pose in my scene. It has been driving me nuts, but I haven't taken the time to see what's up. I thought maybe it was something in my computer affecting it, but the fact that you're having the same issue might imply that it may be related to DAZ itself.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,522

Have you installed the Heat-plugin?
    Have you updated the Heat-plugin?

The original version had a serious resource leak and I hear the updated one still has one, but not as serious.

I installed the Heat Plug when it came out but didn't use it at all. So I just uninstalled it and will see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for the information, @PerttiA! I hope it fixes it!

• Blando CalrissianBlando Calrissian Posts: 459
    edited April 2

I also had the HEAT plugin installed. Uninstalled it, opened Daz, and loaded a G8F as before. Will let it sit for an hour and see what happens!

Post edited by Blando Calrissian on
  • Update- we're 45 minutes into the experiment. CPU use was 1% when I loaded the single G8F into Daz. Current CPU usage is, according to Task Manager, 0%.

I think your advice was spot-on, PerttiA!

Will do additional tinkering tonight.

Ditto, it seems uninstalling the plug-in worked for me as well!

• artxtapartxtap Posts: 147

FenixPhoenix said:

i told daz about this in a ticket but they never got back to me. yes the heat pulgin WILL bring your pc to a crawl. you have to uninstall it, because daz will load it on startup

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,033

artxtap said:

FenixPhoenix said:

i told daz about this in a ticket but they never got back to me. yes the heat pulgin WILL bring your pc to a crawl. you have to uninstall it, because daz will load it on startup

This was the updated version of the plug-in?

Richard Haseltine said:

artxtap said:

FenixPhoenix said:

This was the updated version of the plug-in?

I didn't have any updates in DIM, so I had indeed updated the plug-in, and it was still making DAZ super slow, especially when idle. Uninstalling it fixed it for me.

• retiretomauiretiretomaui Posts: 383

Thank you for this info. The same thing has been happening to me. I've uninstalled Heat and I'm giving it a try. Its already running snappier and with fewer crashes.