White part of the Eyes turn Black on render

Justin_AmesJustin_Ames Posts: 136

Hi everyone,

I'm facing an eyes problem this time. For some reasons, the white part of my Genesis 9 character turn black on my renders. I looked for help on google already and fell on some post here about it. Unfortunarely, my low knowledge of Daz keeps me from understanding what is explained there, even from that one person on the post who tried to explain it simply for newbies like me.. sad Can someone help me understand better? This is the post in question: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/284301/my-first-script-feedback-sought

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for how much I keep posting on here all the time.. sad

Capture d’écran (89).png
1864 x 912 - 3M
Post edited by Justin_Ames on

Comments

• Justin_AmesJustin_Ames Posts: 136

Omg it worked! Thank you so much! laugh

You have no idea how much help like this makes a difference for new users like me. Learning Daz can get very discouraging sometimes. Thank you very much again. You just made my day.heart

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,777

Justin_Ames said:

Hi everyone,

I'm facing an eyes problem this time. For some reasons, the white part of my Genesis 9 character turn black on my renders. I looked for help on google already and fell on some post here about it. Unfortunarely, my low knowledge of Daz keeps me from understanding what is explained there, even from that one person on the post who tried to explain it simply for newbies like me.. sad Can someone help me understand better? This is the post in question: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/284301/my-first-script-feedback-sought

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for how much I keep posting on here all the time.. sad

I was going to direct you to my script, but I see you've already found it! I'll try to explain it from first principles, though the gy that posted the instructions in that thread has covered the practical details pretty well.

Every object in a Daz scene is located in 3D space via (x, y, z) coordinates relative to the origin (0,0,0). If you select an object and look at the Posing tab, you'll see the X/Y/Z Transform properties that show how far the object is from the origin in each dimension. Most of the time you can put objects wherever you like in a scene without problems, but sometimes if your scene is really big you get issues...

As your object gets further away from (0,0,0) and the numbers in the offset properties get bigger and bigger, you start to get rounding errors in the positioning of the polygons that make up your figure. The progranning wasn't designed to cope with values higher than a few thousand, and bigger numbers can give freaky results. Try creating a blank scene with a G9 in it, create a camera pointed at the figure and parent it to them. Look through the camera in Iray preview mode and change values in the G9's X/Y/Z transforms to move them around the scene. If you enter numbers in the millions or more, you'll see some really freaky results (I'm in the middle of making a scene right now, or I'd post some examples).

Anyhow, you're probably not doing anything so extreme, but one of the first symptoms that can appear of "too far from the origin syndrome" is that the finely-tuned surfaces inside the eye are distorted, interact with eachother and end up giving you black eyes (another thing that can happen is that hair caps can interact with heads, resulting in black marks). This can happen over distances as small as some of the larger environments sold at this site - I've just triggered it on a character by giving her an X translate of 30,000 - that's just 300 meters. The solution is simple - just move your character close to the origin!

But wait. You don't want to move your character! You've already put them where you want them. That's where my script comes in - it moves the selected object so that it is sitting directly on the origin, but it also moves everything else in the scene by the same amount - so they're all in the same place relative to the object. The effect is that it looks like you've moved the origin to sit under the selected object, rather than moving everything in the scene. It may be easier to think of it that way.

So copy my script (or one of the improved versions other people posted), install it using that other guy's instructions, select your black-eyed G9 and run the script to move them to the origin. Hopefully it'll solve your problem.