Here's a suggestion to Daz Staff.

edited April 4 in The Commons

On my YouTube Subscription feed, I saw a video promo for Daz AI ... and I'm left wondering the obvious question.

Why are there no updates for the other programs - like Carrara?

The last update I saw was about 10 years ago - and who knows when Bryce was last updated.

So my suggestion is this...

You don't seem to have any plans to provide regular updates to programs like Carrara, Bryce or Hexagon - so it would be much better for you if you simply give it to the 3D Community as Official Open Source Software.

The 3D Community - especially developers would love to provide regular updates to these programs, to get them up to today's standard.

Learn from the Blender Foundation and see how they continously make money via continous support for Open Source Software.

Start a Foundation (similar to Blender), announce it to the worldwide 3D community and you'll start gaining support. 

Don't just let these porgrams languish in obscurity.

So what do you think of this suggestion? Leave your comments below.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001

Moved to the commons as it is not a Daz AI Studio topic.

This is a fairly frequent suggestion, but it doesn't take account of the fact that software development usually uses a variety of third-party libraries which may not have, or may not be readily convertible to, open source licenses. It also doesn't allow for the cost of drawing up and verifying a suitable open source license, or preparing the code and making sure that there was no proprietary information embedded. Even if it were a practical propostion making something open source certainly doesn't guarantee that it will be developed, especially when there are already major open source tools in the same sector.

In any event, posting to the forums isn't a way of addressing Daz diectly - to do that you need a ticket.