Colorize 3D

HylasHylas Posts: 4,784

Colorize 3D - it's just items that have diffuse and translucency maps that are mostly white with only some grays for shading, right?

I always thought PA's should work more like that whenever possible. It makes the products more flexible and also saves space on the hard drive.

Screenshot is from the promos of Mara Hair https://www.daz3d.com/mara-hair-for-genesis-9-and-81-female

01.jpg
809 x 720 - 117K

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,041

Hylas said:

Colorize 3D - it's just items that have diffuse and translucency maps that are mostly white with only some grays for shading, right?

Looks like it yes. 

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 444

So it is basically the black and white maps of the texture? Because I've been able to colorize for ages XD

• ElorElor Posts: 702

The blog post about it is now available:

https://blog.daz3d.com/daz-studio-colorizer/

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253

So, it is a new set of shader surface parameters that are exposed by settings in the materials preset? Looks like only select products have this built-in. Is there some way to add that functionality to existing products? Not of much use to me if I don't have any of those.

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 263

NorthOf45 said:

So, it is a new set of shader surface parameters that are exposed by settings in the materials preset? Looks like only select products have this built-in. Is there some way to add that functionality to existing products? Not of much use to me if I don't have any of those.

I guess as long as they keep it as a standard for new items it will grow useful over time but yeah at the moment Its value is pretty low.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 482
    edited April 12

I had the same thoughts.  Color Picker for Daz Studio (https://www.daz3d.com/color-picker-for-daz-studio) is one of the products in the Rainbow Color Flash Sale. Although an old product, does it basically add the same functionality as DAZ 3D Colorizer except that Color Picker for Daz Studio works with any content?

Color Picker for Daz Studio.png
    400 x 520 - 264K
    Post edited by jjoyner on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

Thanks for the links and the description.

I was looking for a tool that takes a color pallete from some image

and apply it to the scene in Daz Studio to make its colors look similar.

jjoyner said:

I had the same thoughts.  Color Picker for Daz Studio (https://www.daz3d.com/color-picker-for-daz-studio) is one of the products in the Rainbow Color Flash Sale. Although an old product, does it basically add the same functionality as DAZ 3D Colorizer except that Color Picker for Daz Studio works with any content?

A quick colour picker is already built-in to Studio. Hold the shift key when clicking on a colour selector, and the cursor changes to a cross-hair. Continue holding the shift key and travel around the screen (anywhere, not just the viewport) and release when you get the colour you want. The colour selector updates live as you move around.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,784

Elor said:

The blog post about it is now available:

https://blog.daz3d.com/daz-studio-colorizer/

hm, I think there's a little more to it than I first thought, but it's not entirely clear to me yet. I guess I'll find out whenever I get my first colorize item.

• NorthOf45 said:

jjoyner said:

A quick colour picker is already built-in to Studio. Hold the shift key when clicking on a colour selector, and the cursor changes to a cross-hair. Continue holding the shift key and travel around the screen (anywhere, not just the viewport) and release when you get the colour you want. The colour selector updates live as you move around.

This sounds really great, but I can't seem to do the same.  Which is the "colour selector?"

Thank-you!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,999

NorthOf45 said:

It isn't a newly developed feature, it is a use of features that have been present for a fair while to build and link together to offer a new facility.

NorthOf45 said:

jjoyner said:

There is an issue with alignment if font scaling is in effect.

• Grafitaleblu said:

NorthOf45 said:

jjoyner said:

This sounds really great, but I can't seem to do the same.  Which is the "colour selector?"

Thank-you!

Click and hold?

Cheers!

Grafitaleblu said:

Grafitaleblu said:

NorthOf45 said:

jjoyner said:

Thank-you!

Click and hold?

Cheers!

Not sure if you mean that you figured it out or not. A colour selector is any parameter in the Surfaces tab that lets you set a colour (Base Color, Glossy Color, Emission Color, etc.). Normal click gives the standard colour palette, ctrl-click gives an RGB slider set, and shift-click starts the colour selector. Hold the shift key and the left mouse button while moving around.

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

It isn't a newly developed feature, it is a use of features that have been present for a fair while to build and link together to offer a new facility.

Fair enough, but how can we use these previously unseen parameters? Are they present in the current Iray shaders? How can we expose them to be used? I doubt if all products will be updated to take advantage of it. Future-only will mean slow adoption, and no backwards compatibility. 

edited April 12

The product list lists Colourwerks, yet I don't see the Colorize section the materials after I applied the shader.

Post edited by Eboshijaana on
  • Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 404

NorthOf45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

Fair enough, but how can we use these previously unseen parameters? Are they present in the current Iray shaders? How can we expose them to be used? I doubt if all products will be updated to take advantage of it. Future-only will mean slow adoption, and no backwards compatibility. 

They aren't previously unseen parameters. It's just products with white base textures and changing colours in the Surfaces pane, just as you would with anything else.

Eboshijaana said:

The product list lists Colourwerks, yet I don't see the Colorize section the materials after I applied the shader.

There isn't a 'Colorize' section. If you select the white hair texture, then you can change the colours in the Surfaces pane to get any shade you want.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 194220.png
    885 x 625 - 328K
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,387

I'm now even more confused than earlier in the day when there was no explanation at all. Couldn't we already change the colors of things via base and diffuse settings since like forever? So what is the difference here? Seems to me that basically, there're some new items that provide colorless texture maps that will work well with this kind of changing. But that cannot be it, can it? What am I missing?

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,611
    edited April 12

This seems like a non-event There's no product and the items in the colorize flash sale are not new items. How is this different from going in the surface tab and changing the diffuse color? And how is it different from changing the color map for the diffuse channel to greyscale and adding color as I choose?

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 640
    edited April 12

I'm confused frown

I think the blog may have been written with too much assumed knowledge and I can't expand the picture either, so while I can watch the video, I can't look at the screenshots properly. I almost always change colours, so that's not new.

The things I don't understand...

1. Has something changed or is this drawing our attention to something that few know about?
    2. Do I need a particular version of Daz?
    3. Or is it more about assets? Is "not available on everything" in reality "only available on some new products"?

I think it's 3.

(Edit: I see that as I wrote this, others wrote similar comments.)

Post edited by AndrewJJP on

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

Ah, so there is a new fascility then?

Pax Asteriae said:

NorthOf45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

They aren't previously unseen parameters. It's just products with white base textures and changing colours in the Surfaces pane, just as you would with anything else.

Eboshijaana said:

There isn't a 'Colorize' section. If you select the white hair texture, then you can change the colours in the Surfaces pane to get any shade you want.

We've been able to do that for years.

Also, this is what I mean;

Which is frankly BAFFLING, since all that did was rename an old feature.

colorizesection.png
    815 x 762 - 152K

AndrewJJP said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

Ah, so there is a new fascility then?

New presentation?

Eboshijaana said:

Pax Asteriae said:

NorthOf45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

Eboshijaana said:

Yes, that... that is frankly baffling.

Unfortunately the Colorwerks products are very unlikely to be updated as the creator passed away a while ago.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,962
    Is it a way to quickly group together multiple surfaces and change their parameters together, instead of selecting each surface you want to change? That at least makes sense to me as a feature of the products using existing capabilities. Because I'm also with everyone else trying to understand what the blog and ads are talking about that isn't just the standard surface parameters.

Pax Asteriae said:

Eboshijaana said:

Pax Asteriae said:

NorthOf45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

Eboshijaana said:

Yes, that... that is frankly baffling.

Unfortunately the Colorwerks products are very unlikely to be updated as the creator passed away a while ago.

Yet Daz lists Colorwerx in the showcase products for this; https://www.daz3d.com/color-of-the-rainbow

I am confuse, frankly.

Eboshijaana said:

Yet Daz lists Colorwerx in the showcase products for this; https://www.daz3d.com/color-of-the-rainbow

I am confuse, frankly.

Yeah, that's just a bunch of things with 'Color' in the title, I think. There are two Dreamlight HDRI sets in there as well, and the VYK Shader Basics item is a pre-selected bunch of colours that only works on default iray, not the PBRSkin shader.

AlmightyQUEST said:

Is it a way to quickly group together multiple surfaces and change their parameters together, instead of selecting each surface you want to change? That at least makes sense to me as a feature of the products using existing capabilities. Because I'm also with everyone else trying to understand what the blog and ads are talking about that isn't just the standard surface parameters.

Press CTRL down and click on the surfaces, you will see a number next to the parameters.

edited April 12

I think I've got it...

Some products have a white material and there is a section in the surfaces that has a subset of the parameters. The parameters affect the white parts of the product.

I can see that would make things a little easier.

Post edited by AndrewJJP on

AndrewJJP said:

I think I've got it...

Some products have a white material and there is a section in the surfaces that has a subset of the parameters. The parameters affect the white parts of the product.

I can see that would make things a little easier.

The only difference is that certain areas are not affected. The issue is that any PA worth their salt will typically already have the areas in different material surfaces.

Especially the Colorize skin looks pretty much like any try at creating a fantasy skin colour with realistic textures on.