Restyle daz3d hair in blender

JayyMcMJayyMcM Posts: 2

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread about my issue specifically.

I found a hair assert that I really like but I wanted to also restyle it into a pony tail version. But It's very hard to figure out how to edit it while maintaining its shape. Can I convert the daz3d hair into a hair object that blender can edit? Or is there a better/easier way?

The hair has a TON of verticies making it a bit difficult to edit in blender due to how computational heavy it is.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,782

Technically, yes you can, though this hair seems heavy... Blender can easily handle it. However, practically, it'll be a bit cumbersome if you want to "reshape" it as a ponytail style by morphing... because it's not like making a new hair by using grooming techniques. If you want to have good result with this way, I'm afraid it'll take some time. As an alternative, technically, you can add dForce to this hair and use a helper to "shrink" the back hair as a tail, then go for further reshaping. But yes, for using dForce as well as simulation, this hair is pretty heavy, even if for the simulation in Blender...

Though I'm a Blender user, I'd rather make and groom a new hair as per my need rather than reshaping such a hair... IMHO.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,191

By all appearance, this is mesh hair, which means that you won't be able to "groom" it the same way you could SBH in DS or particle hair in Blender. I know how to convert mesh hair to curves in Houdini, but no idea if the same thing is possible in Blender.