Can't Carrara 8.5 Pro no longer handle large scenes?

2»

Comments

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited January 2016

Have been testing now a while. Seems the only thing I can do, is not saving all internally. I guess I will be saving Shaders and Objects to the Libraries in Carrara and load them afterwards, too. Otherwise, even local saves will grow in size.

As for the textures I use. Actually. That's why I love Carrara so much. Only for the Characters (or animals) I am using really textures. Everything else receives Shaders. If I am using Textures like wood or stone in my shaders, it's usually a very small 10 Kilobyte file. And those shaders I keep consolidating.

IT's sadly now a fact for me, that with Carrara 8.5 and the Genesis Characters/Figures (nude or clothed) will keep bloating the file-size. 

My Skin Textures are not really large. I also make sure, that I consolidate identical shaders. I really think that the bloated file size comes from all the morphs, as mentioned already by Dartanbeck.

Genesis 2 Male with his native common morphs and creature morphs packs alone around 2,5 GB when I save all internally. The ZBrush Morphs I use are mostly minor manipulations to add surface details like scars, veins and stuff. I do not add any additional polygons. If I did that, the textures no longer would work on that mesh :-/ without the ZBrush morphs, also a "Pure" naked Gen 2 Male with only native Morphs & texture, still takes up 2,1 - 2,3 GB in size.

M4 with morphs injected (Creatures, Body Morphs and all that) and also ZBrush Morphs for veins, plus my own custom textures the file merely packs around 700 MB, maybe 900 MB if I used extremely high res textures - all saved internally. With a full set of clothes it could be 1 - 1,2 GB.

Also, I noticed that Carrara 8.5 needs far more RAM. In the past I (Carrara 8) could do some really detailed scenes with 4 X Characters (M4, V4) and loads of set dressings and never reached the 12 GB RAM limit during the render process... With Carrara 8.5, I am constantly at 11,5 GB RAM during the render-process.

Quite a difference... seems Carrara 8.5 and DazStudio Content are some serious ressource-gluttons...

Well, this weekend I am putting together my new rig anyway. (32 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD + 2 TB Data HDs, I7 Extreme 8Core).  After that I can do some more testing and hope that it works out much better.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited January 2016

I guess I will be saving Shaders and Objects to the Libraries in Carrara and load them afterwards, too. Otherwise, even local saves will grow in size.

That's not how it works,.

When you save internally,. Carrara creates the Highest quality versions of any texture maps you're using,. (normally much larger than the original; jpg or whatever) and saves those large files in your Scene file.

When you save locally,. the textures used in your shaders are left where they are,. and reloaded when you open that scene,

None of your shaders are lost if you save the scene locally, and you don't have to save shaderrs or objects to the browser and reload them each time you want to open that scene.

Anythig you create, whetehr that's a plant or a shader,. will be saved within the carrara file,. even if you save locally and that item hasn't been sacved to the browser.

Carrara saves any 3D objects you've made, as vertex objects or as native tools like the Oceans or Terrains or plants etc,..

Those are all saved in the Scene file you created,. Even if you've saved them to the browser.

The Save Locally, or save internally,, only concern external components such as texture maps or figures with external components shuch as morphs etc

The main problem with saving internally is the Image maps, usually much larger than the 3D models, even as JPG's which are compressed.

Uncompress that jpg image and save it as a high quality format internally and you get a HUGE file.

I just saved out a Base Male Genesi 2 figure, "as a test". ...10.3mb  saved locally ,... 112Mb saved internally

Big difference,.

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited January 2016

@3DAge

Does your basic Gen 2 male have also the creature morphs? Mine are automatically integrated, so not even a chance to deactivate those I do not need :-/

I hope I get my new rig working around sunday or monday. Not sure how long everything will take with updates and all that. 

I will post afterwards some screenshots, maybe that helps with the riddle of my large files :-/

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Rhian :)

Actually I didn't have the CC morphs installed.. My bad. 

The only one there was the Hobgoblin head, which I think comes with the G2 base male figure.

Genesis 2 male Base,. with Creature creator morphs,. saved locally,. = 14.2 Mb

Saved Internally it's ..115 Mb

not a big difference from the Base figure without the Creature creator morphs,  saved either locally or internally

the creature creator installer is around 200mb so i'm thinking that perhaps only the "Active" morphs used in that figure are being saved internally, which makes sense.