2016 Carrara Octaners - newboids

Not sure if this will be too redundant, but wondering if there are any more experienced Octane users who would like to help with a few basic questions on Octane for Carrara. Yes, I made the plunge, and am feeling pretty optimistic. I would dig into the previous thread, but there is no search function?! Bit difficult to find specifics.  Maybe I am missing it? 

At any rate, perhaps Sighman, or someone can answer this very basic question (even though I figured a work around) :

Where in Carrara are the dialog boxes shown here:         https://docs.otoy.com/#35Spot Lights

and here:          https://docs.otoy.com/#35Point Lights (Bulbs)

lights mystery.png
498 x 372 - 34K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

Good question I do not know either, been using emission shaders and pimitives

I did find them in effects changing a light type

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    • does the octane for carrara require internet activation?  or is easy-peasy install for non-internet desktops?

thanks heart

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    MistyMist said:
    • does the octane for carrara require internet activation?  or is easy-peasy install for non-internet desktops?

It only requires an Internet question the first time you use it, to register. However, you will not be able to use the Live database if you're not connected to the Internet.

I did find them in effects changing a light type

I don't have these windows.

• protovuprotovu Posts: 194

So, Ella, 

By step, how did you find the two dialog boxes? I tried:

>insert Spot or Bulb

>then, with the light selected, went to every tab, including effects. 

Cannot find......

thank you,

Rick

dunno but was there changing an inserted light to another not before

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited January 2016

I have them here.

Ster by step.

New scene,. Insert Spotlight.

(with the spotlight selected) go to the effects tab abd scroll down to find the Octane Light options

oct light panel.jpg
    1545 x 974 - 281K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

Hi 3Dage,

It doesn't work for me. I have Octane for Carrara version 2.17.066. I think it's the latest.

Spot.png
    1266 x 889 - 153K

Hi Argus :)

I'm using version 79,.right now

Just checked the Otoy forums for Carrara plugun , and version 82 is the latest beta available for download and should be the final beta (if i'm reading sighmans post correctly)

Thanks, 3dage. Works now. It's funny they don't put the latest version in the "Downloads" section. You have to go into the forums to find it. But anyway, now that I have the proper version of this awesome plugin installed, I'm ready to produce a masterpiecewink

Thank you k 3dage. I am 2.17.0068.......nothing there. So, I also must need a later beta.

Anyone know how to get emailed alerts to forum entries? Seem to have lost that. Also, what happened to search function?

I'm not sure about the alerts here, it's random for me,

Search here has always been hit and miss for me too

I suppose it keeps you coming back... :)

As Argus1000 mentioned,  You can get the latest plugin from the OTOY web site / Carrara plugin forum.

Version 82 seems to be the latest,.

There's also a version available for testing with the Octane 3 Beta version

Thanks, 3Dage. You have found your latest Octane Beta to be stable?

As new to Octane, I am hesitant  on 3 at this point. Need to limit my control group.

And......what is up with no emails on forum responses, and no search. I will put in a ticket. Lord knows Daz shakes with fear when we Carrara users rattle their cage.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    There's a little star icon that you can turn on (orange color) next to the topic to subscribe to the thread.

Thank you EP :)

Glad I could help! It wasn't obvious for me at first either, then I noticed that threads I had been subscribed to (due to replying) before the forum software switch, where still generating e-mail notifications when someone replied. It was then I noticed they had the little orange star. I then activated the star on a couple active threads that I had not actually replied to, to see if I would get any notifications. I did.

Search is also something that eludes me here. Sometimes I have good luck using Google.

Thank you , Evil. 

I believe we did have search at one point, or am I imagining?

Hi Protovu :)

Octane for Carrara is very stable,  even the beta 3 version.

Thank you, 3dage, I will update. 

Separate question: I have requested information on a Render Queue from Octane.........crickets.........

Anyone know if there is such a thing available?

I think cloud rendering is the prefered concept, where the OCS files are rendered in the cloud.
     (if you need that sort or speed and volume of rendering)

edited January 2016

All I really need is the ability to set up a bunch of files rendering overnight. Haven't any idea on OCS cloud rendering. You know of Carrara/Octane users doing this OCS magic, of which you speak?

Love to learn more.

For my projects, the control of the Carrara Batch render has been very helpful. This would be preferred, I believe. 

Post edited by protovu on

The OCS files are exported scene files, independent of the 3D program which can be renderd using the stand alone Octane renderer,. or a "Cloud" based render farm with lots of connected systems.

You can export your scene as ocs using the Carrara plugin,. then you can render that in the stand alone Octane renderer,

For me, the speed of octane means that I have less need to render long sequences,. I've never been a fan of long sequences.

The fact that you can see what you're getting, and how many samlples it takes to get somethig acceptable, means that you can adjust how long each frame will take,

You should play around with rendering some existing scenes from octane and compare the time to carrara

I don't personally know of anyone who's using either the batch Queue or the cloud,. but the cloud would seem like the logical and fastest approach to rendering in volume.

Depending on the cost of cloud rendering, it'll either be worth it for fast "Pre-vis" prduction,. or  final production or remain out of the price limits for some users, who can happily render on thier own systems, because they don't have an impending deadline

it's a choice of speed V cost

edited January 2016

Very interesting and helpful, thank you.

So the OCS files are animation capable, independent of Carrara....wow! I will investigate further. 

I agree, generally, that short sequences are a great strategy. Unfortunately, or fortunately, for me client projects sometimes require long sequences. 

Projects may have multiple sequences, and picture in picture detail sequences. I like batch queue's ability to let me put things in the oven  over night, or while I am working on other scenes or projects.

All of this may be moot, as I just got ( haven't yet hooked up) a TitanX. Maybe this will allow me to do multiple renders in lieu of queueing. Really looking forward to a lull so I can get going with Octane.

Post edited by protovu on

Anyone have an idea on how to create a light sphere effect in Octane? I am on 2.17, which does not show the lights dialogue boxes (turns Carrara lights into Octane lights). I tried a later version, and it was not stable for me.

Had renders that would not complete, so had to revert.  Have put in primitives with emitter shaders, which may be in the right direction, but no luck.

Thanks, Everybody.

light sphere.png
    231 x 165 - 21K

Hi :)

In the render setting panel you should have a "Post Production" tab,. in there you'll see options for Glare and glare blur as well as Bloom, a combination of those should give you the effect you're after

Also,. it looks like I was premature about the Cloud rendering options , it seems to be in testing / development phase right now.

sorry about that.

glare lights.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K

Thanks, 3dage. 

I will look at that. Since posting, I figured out an additional way you may know of.

I made a disc in the vertex modeler and then put an emitter material on it. I used a radial blend, black to white center to get the sphere. Looks

ok. The disc needs to be square to the camera, of course. And, the blend has to be toned down a bit, actually darkened.

light sphere.png
    45 x 35 - 4K

Hey Everybody,

In Carrara, we have the ability to have lights ignore, or illuminate exclusively selected objects. When using emitter materials with Octane, I am not seeing this ability. Does anyone know of a way to achieve this function with

emitter materials on an object?  I am hopeful that later stable relases of Octane will allow us to use Carrara lights somewhat more directly, and it seems there is every indication that this is in the works. But, as I am on Octane 2.17.0068, because the later version was not rendering completely for me, I am a little stuck. Ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Can an unbiased renderer do light linking? Isn't that one of the biased render engine "cheats?"

yes

if shader based and oscilate the emission parameters

not the sunlight but can with a background image series