Distorted graphics on various G8F T-Shirts, any solutions?

I'm working on some custom 'graphic tee' designs for one of my characters, but every time I add the design to a shirt, it distorts around the breasts.  Attached are two samples using the shirt from Sunny Shorts Outfit for G8F, showing how the design looks on a base G8F (a small amount of distortion, but something I could probably live with) and on my custom character (which causes heavy distortion).  Is there any way to fix this other than a lot of trial-and-error using the Warp tool in Photoshop to 'counter-distort' the graphics?  Also, this issue isn't specific to this shirt in particular, I tried at least three or four other shirts - all with various levels of heay distortion.

shirt_graphics_distorted_default_g8f.png
500 x 500 - 284K
shirt_graphics_distorted_custom_character.png
500 x 500 - 279K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,277

You could try using a decal, for iray, which will project onto the mesh - however, then you would get shearing on the parts that were angled away from the plane of projection. A custom UV would be another approach, that would at least allow you to even the stretching out. Do remember, though, that a real t Shirt - especially one that wasn't cut to that size - would stretch too.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,751
    edited April 30

If the shirt supports dForce, you can try to simulate it.

And if that still distorts using a simple simulation,

Then use timeline simulation and start with a shape where it is undistorted (e.g. base shape), and dial you shape in along the timeline, e.g. frame 20, and your pose in frame 40.

Add: the t-shirt you linked does not have dForce out-of-the box, but works fine with it. Just add a dForce modifier.

Post edited by felis on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,808

Press Ctrl + 8, you may find the mesh of the shirt is "distorted" (streched and/or shrunk). It's a commonly-seen issue.

If you know how to use Blender, just smooth the mesh with Smooth brush and send back a fix morph. Neat and quick.

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 651

I think the first thing I would try is adding dForce dynamic cloth to the shirt, then trying to simulate it.   Edit -> Object - Geometry -> Add dforce Modifier Dynamic Surface.

Try simulating it in the scene.  If the shirt "explodes", try going into the surface settings and set Self Collide to Off, Stretch Stiffness to some lower value (maybe around 10%). And try again.

Another possibility is projection morphs being sent to the shirt causing it to scrunch.  Sickleyield has some character morphs that can change the projection morphs on the chest so that shirts aren't so badly distorted: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-clothing-breast-helper-genesis-8-female ;

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,808

If the mesh is already distorted (esp. with FBM or PBM), dForce simulation won't bring it to a "good shape" in most cases. Tweaking it in external app. is always the best way since it's almost a once-for-all fix. You don't have to fix or sim it (even if sim works) each time unless you give extreme partial poses to the figure...

Or you may use a decal as Richard suggested, and tweak it a bit. It should work as well. But it won't look natural with poses because if the mesh stretches, it never follows...

SNAG-2024-5-1-006.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-5-1-007.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-5-1-000.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-5-1-001.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
  • CyonixCyonix Posts: 212

felis said:

If the shirt supports dForce, you can try to simulate it.

And if that still distorts using a simple simulation,

Then use timeline simulation and start with a shape where it is undistorted (e.g. base shape), and dial you shape in along the timeline, e.g. frame 20, and your pose in frame 40.

Add: the t-shirt you linked does not have dForce out-of-the box, but works fine with it. Just add a dForce modifier.

Thanks for the suggestion!  Using the timeline simulation, along with this tutorial for saving the simulation as a morph, I was able to fix the distortion issues.  Hopefully this should work for any other graphic tees I want to make for my characters!

shirt_graphics_fixed.png
    500 x 500 - 290K