How to unlink pieces?

KaelerKaeler Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

So, besides the problem that i can't start the CMS service, i've tried to do something.

I've downloaded a free mech object from the freebies section and all it's pieces are linked.
My question is kind of obvious: How do i unlink all the pieces?

Besides: how do i link the object to the bone of Second Life's skeleton so it moves with the body??

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited September 2012

Kaeler said:
    So, besides the problem that i can't start the CMS service, i've tried to do something.

I've downloaded a free mech object from the freebies section and all it's pieces are linked.
    My question is kind of obvious: How do i unlink all the pieces?

Besides: how do i link the object to the bone of Second Life's skeleton so it moves with the body??

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/free-3d-models-and-content?limit=60

Which item are you referring to?

To "link the object" to any other item is called "parenting". In D/S that can be done on the Scene Tab by sliding the prop over to the bone.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • KaelerKaeler Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/56963/browse/5/3D-Model/Modo-Mech This is the item i was referring to.... i don't think i can unlink it, right?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

I'm lost, unlink would imply you wish to make it into different parts. If you want to move the parts for posing the creator clearly states the item needs to be RIGGED. That means making a Bone structure, then the parts on the Joints of the bones could be moved to pose or animate the Rigged item.

EDIT: This would need it's own bone RIG, using a humanoid bone structure does not look like it would work.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm lost, unlink would imply you wish to make it into different parts. If you want to move the parts for posing the creator clearly states the item needs to be RIGGED. That means making a Bone structure, then the parts on the Joints of the bones could be moved to pose or animate the Rigged item.

EDIT: This would need it's own bone RIG, using a humanoid bone structure does not look like it would work.

Sorry if i didn't explain things right. The object in D3DS is one solid object, however if i port the same object to, say for example, Blender the object is now fully editable and lets you do anything while in D3DS doesn't because it's one single object.

What i wanted to do is to take some parts of it and make use of it for something completely different. For example, take the legs and make them mechanical arms for the avatar in Second Life.

edited September 2012

Just save out only the parts you want from blender. Save each part as a new .obj file. Then you can just load the part you want when you want it.

EDIT: DS is an ART program Blender is a modeling plus program. What you want to do is done in a modeler program.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited September 2012

Jaderail said:
    Just save out only the parts you want from blender. Save each part as a new .obj file. Then you can just load the part you want when you want it.

EDIT: DS is an ART program Blender is a modeling plus program. What you want to do is done in a modeler program.

FML, but thanks for telling me. I thought DS was a modeler as well. Oh well, i did what you said... took me a while but did it. Now i'm fitting this thing up.

However, back to the question of making an attachment that follows the movement of the Second Life's body, how to do so? :o

Update: this is how it's coming out.

mecharms.JPG
    734 x 605 - 31K
    Post edited by Kaeler on
    edited December 1969

AH, lot's of folks make that mistake about DS. It can rig and add morphs but its not a modeling prg. It has a bridge to Hexagon the Daz made modeling prg.

As for using the parts in second life I can not help. I'm just a hobby artist with a little modeling in the past. I've never even looked at Second life so I have no clue how to help with that part.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I'll give it a jab however I don't use Second Life so this may or not be of help.

If you take the new parts you want to keep and be very careful to name each 'group' something sensible [so you can find the right parts later] ... have it so if you do an import into D/S it's right away 'landing' where it should on the appropriate figure ... then if you clear the entire scene; use the Skeleton Setup tools, bring the object in there and rig it. Create the figure and export out a .cr2 file. [I have a couple of tuts over in my gallery at sharecg.com on rigging]

Then; new scene - load your figure; load the new .cr2 file.

Then; on the Scene tab [or by right-clicking on it] [somehow] parent the new .cr2 to the collar area [or whichever area works best] of the figure. So now providing you have the correct 'bone' selected when you adjust the dials on the Parameters Tab; it should move with the figure. This is not a clothing item. It is not going to move like clothing does. You will need to move the figure; then move the apparent 'extras' to have mechanical arm actions.