The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited July 18

Complaint: So I've been haveing a barrel of fun with my eyes ,last Oct I tried getting an appointment to get my eyes examined and the first avaiable was in April , then they decided I had cataracts that neede to be removed ,so theres waiting for another appointment ,then thet tell me they'll only do one eye at a time,soonest is July 25th, so today I went in for the pre-op ,since it's out patient .Got all the paperwork filled listened to the instructions ,got back out to my car ,trying to get my mobility scooter back in ,and my phone starts ringing ,and keeps ringing ,finally get into the car,check the phone and it's the lady I just finished talking to about my appointment ,she tells me my surgery is caceled because the anesthiologist won't work on me because of my BMI ,yes I'm fat ,but it hasn't stopped them before.......and I tell her that ,she says it's a new group ,new rules .Then I get a call from the surgen's office wanting to know if I want to be farsighted ,and use readers or middle and still wear glasses ,and I told them that I had just been told the surgery had been canceled and why ,she says they'll look into it . So now I'm waiting again......and I have a headache .......

PS @McGyver if you spray the doorframe with WD40 ,your spider will stop making webs on it .

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,170

@McGyver: Homo Sapiens is two words...that might be why you get an error.          Great read, anyway!  As always!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited July 18

...hmmm Spider Cider. 

A Slow All Hallows Eve.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 829K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

DanaTA said:

@McGyver: Homo Sapiens is two words...that might be why you get an error.          Great read, anyway!  As always!

There was a time when auto correct could recognize two words together and put a space between them. Now it just keeps the two words together and turns it into "homosexual" or "homogenized". Or "homo space alien".

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

Complaint: I have to get up at 6 am today which apparently already happened.

Non-complaint I scheduled an earlier appointment to see my primary care about my knee.

Complaint it is hard to read without my glasses. Non-complaint I have several pairs in my room.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited July 21

@ McGyver: Wow, you've apparently got buggy problems, and not the transport type of buggy.indecision  The only buggy problems I have, around here, are a few resident Daddy-long-legs spiders in my shower area, a big moth now and then that blunders its way in somehow, and in the spring I'm plagued with pissants (teeny-weeny ants) on the kitchen sink area until I set out a few ant-bait cafeterias.  And even outside, the mosquitos have been noticeably absent-ish for several years.surprise  Curious.  I remember times in my youth, around here, when coming back in from outside you'd come back short a pint of blood.frown   Although recently, during one summer the landlord had to have an exterminator come and evict/murder a nest of hornets that had built a nest inside my porch roof because there were no birds living in there that year.

But I remember living in Florida for 15 years.  Spiders the size of your hand, congregating in swathes of webs hung high between neighboring palm trees.  Cockroaches(Palmetto Bugs) the size of Snicker's candy bars, poisonous snakes in the yard, and families of spiders in the garage to take care of the normal, little cockroaches.  Great fun!   Although I'd live there again if I were rich and able to afford to run the A/C 24/7 and pay an extermianator each year to keep the bugs at bay.  But I wouldn't invest my money in a high-rise beach condo these days.  I've got two fixed-income relatives, about my age, living in suspect buildings.  Surprise!  We've quadrupled your condo fee to pay the millions for repairs.crying

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Why do iray renders take so long?  I am trying to render Genesis 8 with hair and clothes but it is stuck at 0% for the last 16 minutes or so?

Sfariah D said:

Why do iray renders take so long?  I am trying to render Genesis 8 with hair and clothes but it is stuck at 0% for the last 16 minutes or so?

This is what the finished render looks like. 

testgirlrender0000.png
    989 x 873 - 770K

...not too bad here in the northwest annoying bug wise.  pretty much no mosquitoes. back in Wisconsin where you need to wear long sleeves and pants to mot be covered in welts in a few hours (as well as down a couple pints) .  Miserable when the humidity and temperature  are both high. Yeah I guess you can slather or spray some sort of poisonous substance on your skin.

Spiders are another issue as it is rather moist here a good part of the year. Fortunately where I now am is rather arachnid free and screens on the windows keep the flying bugs outs side. A few years ago there was apparently a bedbug invasion but that was taken care of (none were found in my apartment thankfully).  Haven't seen many roaches either but  have seen some rather rotund rats (none dragging a slice of pizza though).. 

Now pigeons, that's another matter entirely as sidewalks and cars in the city centre are often excellent targets for them. Surprised as we don't have very many statues here.   

Then there's yellowjackets in late summer and early fall. Bees are cool if you leave them alone, yellowjackets are bloody aggressive 

I haven't had much of a problem with stinging insects. Of course, I'm usually covered from my neck to my ankles while mowing the weeds. But even when I've been out there with a cutoff shirt and really short shorts, the bugs just kind of drift out of the way as I move by. I think it's the self-propelled lawn mower. Something about how it just casually strolls along probably keeps them from getting riled up. And I just stroll along behind it. Or maybe the buzzing sound convinces the bugs the mower one of them. I don't know.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

When I was younger, the mosquitos and other blood-thirsty insects didn't let me have a moments peace, but a few years back I noticed that when having dinner outdoors in minimal clothing, only a few dare to try taste my blood... Don't know if I should be concerned, feel neglected or be happy about it.

edited July 19

PerttiA said:

When I was younger, the mosquitos and other blood-thirsty insects didn't let me have a moments peace, but a few years back I noticed that when having dinner outdoors in minimal clothing, only a few dare to try taste my blood... Don't know if I should be concerned, feel neglected or be happy about it.

Dear Applicant:  Thank you for applying for the position of Lab Assistant here at Bug Spray Testing International.  Unfortunately your admission above indicates that you are not suitable as an effective attractant, and would not be able to participate effectively in our repellant trials.  However, we do have some openings in our sister company, Snake Anti-Venom Testing International.  Would you like me to forward your application to them?

I'm sleepy.

Sfariah D said:

I'm sleepy.

Understandable as it's past midnight already. 

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

Dear Applicant:  Thank you for applying for the position of Lab Assistant here at Bug Spray Testing International.  Unfortunately your admission above indicates that you are not suitable as an effective attractant, and would not be able to participate effectively in our repellant trials.  However, we do have some openings in our sister company, Snake Anti-Venom Testing International.  Would you like me to forward your application to them?

Snakes, why did it have to be snakes... 

Sfariah D said:

I'm sleepy.

..same here.  6 pints of beer does that. 

kyoto kid said:

Sfariah D said:

I'm sleepy.

..same here.  6 pints of beer does that. 

It also makes you wonder why they said  "snacks... why did it have to be snacks". 

Non complaint I got paid yesterday!  Complaint: I have to wait for it to clear the bank.

Ooh my taxi to work is on the way!  And I haven't finished putting my earrings in.

edited July 21

Non-complaint:  I too got paid in the last couple days.  Wheee... I'm rich for an hour.

Complaint:  My spreadsheet, bank statement, and checkbook, don't match. frown  Well, not quite true,  the spreadsheet and checkbook balance do agree, but after resolving the bank statement and accounting for outstanding checks and other payments, the bank thinks I have exactly $280 more than I think I have.surprise  'Twould be nice if 'twere true, but 'tain't.  I spent the last hour and a half attempting to find out where I made a mistake.  I trust the bank, I really do, and errors like this are usually in my checkbook or my spreadsheet, but this time the error was in how I "resolved" the bank statement.  I used the "Previous Balance" figure instead of the "Closing Balance" figure to use as the beginning of accounting for outstanding payments.  And the difference just happened to be exactly $280.blush 

Tain't all my fault:  The bank changed the format of their paper bank statements  (Yes, I still get paper bank statements.cheeky)  Tripping on the change serves me right for not carefully reading the statement.  But at least now I know that my spreadsheet and checkbook skills are still functional.  My reading skills need some work though.sad

edited July 22

Complaining Non-complaint:  When my mind is at ease it drifts into fragments of music.  Mindlessly doing dishes, making the bed, staring out of the window.  Some of these sessions become addictive and play over and over annoyingly in my head.  Usually it's the short unimaginative pieces that become tiresome, repetative and bothersome (i.e. earworms).  Whereas, longer or more complex pieces provide a skeleton of music memory that I can mentally tinker with, modify, erroneously remember, and silently, mentally, play with for a while.  This morning while doing the dishes I started hearing/remembering "Nessun Dorma".  One of the few pieces that give me goosebumps when I hear it actually performed, like below.  (Gets interesting after one minute in.)  And this version has sub-titles so the words add more meaning.)  

Note:  I'm one of those people who doesn't like singing unless the words are enunciated carefully.  Thus my only minor interest in opera and musicals.  I do, however, have a few live performances of operas under my belt.  But this song "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's opera "Turandot", can be magnificently emotional as seen in the clip above.  

Many years ago (the '90s) I attended a performance of the Broadway show "Cats".  And there was one point where the lead male singer came forward to the front of the stage and climbed a tall piece of the set while he performed a solo while the stage was being reset behind him in the dark, he sang Nessun Dorma for us and it sent shivers up my spine at the tone and power of the song.  Since then, I've watched several video performances of "Cats" and none of them contain that scene or song, so it was a special event, that I was lucky enough to catch.  Loved it.heart

edited July 22

...if my old cat had done that, I would bow to him and say "I yield.  You are the true masters of the universe".

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,873

LeatherGryphon said:

Note:  I'm one of those people who doesn't like singing unless the words are enunciated carefully.  Thus my only minor interest in opera and musicals.  I do, however, have a few live performances of operas under my belt.  But this song "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's opera "Turendot", can be magnificently emotional as seen in the clip above.  

Whereas I would generally rather not hear the lyrics, which is part of the reason I listen to so much music in other languages, epecially languages I don't speak, and extreme metal, where the lyrics are frequently unintelligible. I like the human voice as an instrument, but most lyrics are awful.

edited July 23

Gordig said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Note:  I'm one of those people who doesn't like singing unless the words are enunciated carefully.  Thus my only minor interest in opera and musicals.  I do, however, have a few live performances of operas under my belt.  But this song "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's opera "Turendot", can be magnificently emotional as seen in the clip above.  

Whereas I would generally rather not hear the lyrics, which is part of the reason I listen to so much music in other languages, epecially languages I don't speak, and extreme metal, where the lyrics are frequently unintelligible. I like the human voice as an instrument, but most lyrics are awful.

Agreed, most lyrics are awful.  Which is probably why they are uttered unintelligibly.devil  In the case of opera, one can reduce most opera librettos to three sentences of teenage angst, or a poorly crafted Romeo & Juliette plot.  These days, operas are often performed with sur-titles streaming the lyrics above the stage..  Having the lyrics available makes it possible to make sense of the awkward movements of overly costumed hordes, and provide at least a modicum of comprehension for their motivation.  Nobody goes to the opera for the play.  It's the music.  Most successful musical stage shows have at least two good songs, even if you can't understand the words.  Which is possibly why that singer I mentioned in "Cats" above, sang Nessun Dorma for us because other than "Memory", there are no good songs in Cats.(imho)indecision

Complaint:  I've been dragged to choral group recitals.angry  Couldn't understand a word.  Mouths moving, orchestra playing, pleasant melodies, but nothing intelligible in the voices even if in one's own language.  Perhaps it's me, but if a four letter word takes 50 people to voice, and three music measures to complete, it's just noise for effect.sad Although, I do like a few of the Gilbert and Sullivan operas, despite the fact that their best songs are uttered at twice human hearing speed, using now antiquated words, and questionable rhyming.wink  And a lot of operas died an early death leaving only their overtures to mark their passing.  No words to get in the way of the music, you see.  Proving that the plot was redundant. devil

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,635

If it weren't for lyrics how would know when it was over? Everybody knows it ain't over until the fat lady sings. LOL

Charlie Judge said:

If it weren't for lyrics how would know when it was over? Everybody knows it ain't over until the fat lady sings. LOL

If you wake up and the rest of the audience is gone, it's over.  Regardless of whether or not the play had completed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,287

Hordes, not hoards (except in Das Rhinegold)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    edited July 22

I love inventive lyrics to a song. Here are some really off the wall ones for Toyah's song 'The Packt':

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyah+the+packt+lyrics

It's sung by one vocalist, changing her voice to indicate a protagonist, antagonist and chorus. The imagination is sweeping and in keeping with the rest of the tracks on the 'Changeling' album.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited July 23

Sigh... In 60 years, I still haven't learned to say NO when a relative is in need...

My brother wanted to borrow my car to collect a cheap second hand TV-set near a town 60 miles away. 
    I was reluctant as I thought it was too far away for my aging car and the car also has a tendency to overheat when it's over 23C (73F) and today it was over 25C (77F), but he is my brother...
    I gave him instuctions on how to monitor the situation (no temp gauge) and how to drive to keep it from overheating (no diving through town and no using AC)...

At the time I was expecting him back, he called me from 50 miles away that the car overheated and doesn't start again.
    Called a tow truck to get the car home just before it got dark and now shouting profanities instead of sleeping.

The only hope is that the water has caused a short circuit draining the battery, otherwise the fix will be too expensive and I need to find a reliable and good car under 1500eur fast (have to get back to work next Monday)...

He did get his 'cheap' second hand TV though...

Edit: She has passed away, the engine has no compression...

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited July 23

Richard Haseltine said:

Hordes, not hoards [...snip...]

Operaphile fanatic collectors might disagree.indecision  [And over here is my complete set of Egyptian soldiers from the opera "Aida".]