diamond sparkles in carrara

Is there a good way to make diamonds sparkle in Carrara?  The only way I'm aware of now is to use some light effect like vario-cross etc.

My scene will have maybe a hundred diamonds, and last around 12 seconds with the camera panning over them, so I want to show lots of sparkling going on.  Using vario-cross will take a long time tho....

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

could try morphing planes that have sparkles transmapped onto them ?

use png files

here's a quick and dirty

sparkletrans.jpg
    2000 x 1776 - 70K
    sparkletrans.jpg
    2000 x 1776 - 70K
    sparkle3.jpg
    936 x 820 - 53K
  • Thank you for the advice.  Currently I'm going thru each diamond and making some light effects tweak every 1/2 second or so.

After around 2,400+ times, I should be done.....

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

there is an occilator in the tweener could help

• A quite simple solution: diamonds with spotlights and cross-sreen effect attached and then duplicated/replicated/emmitted. Dependig on the position of the camera the cross-screen effect appears. Maybe this will work for you. Don't forget to exclude the diamond from being lightend by the spots. Putting a color gel to one or two of the spots might enhance the effect.

diamonds.jpg
    800 x 271 - 152K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Add some Fresnel in the reflection channel - that'll give you the prismatic reflections that diamonds need. Might even give you the rainbows (not sure if Carrara's renderer will do that - haven't tried)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

The "rainbows" need caustics and there is another trick to it. You need a red light, a green light and a blue light set to the same intensity and the same exact location. The lights will generate a white light that the caustics can then break down into the component colors, much like a prism. Using a single white light doesn't wrk quite the same.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Is it that you want ? (play and win a party, it's free): https://www.circus.be/Common/PopupGame.aspx?gt=DEMO&gid=774e1876-2042-4402-af0e-b76625e6bd11

I think that it's a spotlight behind the jewels, but there are a few facets inside to refect the light rays.

Add a flare effect in the render too.