Morphs keep reverting to 0

Ok I am fairly new to Carrara and I think I am making good progress, but this has me stumped.  I have a V4 figure with ++ morphs loaded.  V4 Clothing applied which is fine, and when I have her posed the way I want, she is coming out of her clothing a bit.  And while the clothing has "fix" morphs for this, when I drag the pramater slider and everything looks good the second I take my figer off of the mouse button the morph goes back to 0.  I must be missing something, a constrant perhaps but when I removed constraints the clothing left her body.  I could edit the clothing mesh but as long as the morph is there, I would rather use it.  And while I could create a clothing morph....I am now wondering if I would run into the same problem.

Also while I am here, another odd morph problem I am having: I am dragging and dropping the ++ morphs on V4 yet when I apply "fix" poses to V4 for high heeled shoes I am prompted to find InjDeltas.PBMFeetForShoe.pz2 which I do but it is annoying.  And odd considering I am loading all the ++ morphs and InjDeltas.PBMFeetForShoe.pz2 is under runtime/libaries/daz//v4/delta/morphs++  Or am I missing something?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I'm not exactly certain as to why this is... here's the fix:

For this you must have the V4 Powerloaders installed. 

Open V4 in DAZ Studio and when the Powerloader dialog opens, have it powerload every morph, I think this might be the default, otherwise just make sure everything is checked.

I'm not certain that you even have to save this powerloaded V4 back to your library (Using the CR2 exporter) for the fix to work - I believe that once the process is performed it's done, and that's it. I saved my copy in that same DAZ People directory and named her V4 - Powerload, since I find having one of those useful to have anyways. But....

This means that any V4 characters saved as a Carrara file brior to this will likely remain broken, since it was saved without whatever just happened in the above process. 

If that was a special piece, and you need the shape morphs saved out, then select the figure and go to the NLA tab, use Create Master Pose and don't deselect anything unless you know what you're looking for, and save the pose. Load in the new copy of V4 and go to its NLA tab and use "Load Clip Data" and select the pose (must be in the Clips tray) and any information saved in the pose will now be applied to that new figure.

Strange kind of a PITA thing... but once you do this it doesn't need to be done again. Hope it works for you too! ;)

• Thanks Dart, I will give it a try.  However I suspect I need to save one with all the morphs loaded.  I have used Daz and powerloader many times before with all of the morphs checked, so they should have been brought accross when I loaded V4 into Carrara, but they didn't.  So it sounds like a save is necessary.  Ugh now I need to redo most of this scene.  Wish there was a way to power load after the fact.  Ah well at least I found out now rather than later on.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i've come across similar issue when the outfit is superconforming.
    fix morphs in the outfit though, usually separate from the conforming morphs.

i ended up removing all V4's magnets before opening her in carrara.  deformers not worth the headache, unless she's naked wink

in the outfits i open the cr2 in notepad and replace hidden 0 with hidden 1 to display all the stuff they hide, reveals all the hidden scaling they hide.

which outfit is it? 

i still have trouble with some of Aiko3's outfits, they load far away from her.

• Well I tried saving/exporting V4 as a Cr2 and the save dialouge threw me for a bit of a loop:

poser version?  It is on 6 and I am assuming that is right?
    base path ok daz poser format runtime not a problem there
    cr2 path tried to give a differnt location but it only seems to accept the same location?
    binary morph file?  I assume yes?
    uses exp I assume yes but ok which path?
    unique figure ID  that is easy at least
    collect files on I assume or no?
    and if yes in zip or in base path I assume base path?

I don't want to mess up or confuse my runtime so hence asking here.  I tried saving V4 as a DUF, both scene and sub set and neither worked when imported into Carrara, well it did work but V4 had odd depressions and lines making her look more robotic than human.

In the end I decided on morphing the clothes.  And after a bit I did manage to get it working.  And the morphs I made worked fine although drove me batty until I found out I needed to switch to poly selection instead of the default vertex selection method (soft didn't seem to work on single vertex selection mode).  But I did come up with a couple of questions:

Is there a way a way to delete morphs later?  If you made a bunch of morphs and decided you didn't want them anymore or were trying to save memory on the loaded figure is there a way to zap a morph?
    If you created a that you wanted to use later (same figure/clothes), I assume you can copy it from a morph from one scene to another?  Of course the other option is to save the entire figure/clothes for later use.  But I was thinking saving a morph itself will take up less space (or should anyway).

Oh and one last question, is there a way to add morphs on clothes that do not have any?  I could add them when there were already morphs available, but on clothes that didn't (some shoes for example) I couldn't seem to add a morph.  I could change the mesh itself no problem but not create a morph target.  Clicking the plus (+) did nothing.  So I assume I need to make another change first?

Oh and one last question, is there a way to add morphs on clothes that do not have any?  I could add them when there were already morphs available, but on clothes that didn't (some shoes for example) I couldn't seem to add a morph.  I could change the mesh itself no problem but not create a morph target.  Clicking the plus (+) did nothing.  So I assume I need to make another change first?

This can be tricky to answer, since some models are easy and others are not. By default all (most?) content comes locked. This is actually a good thing. There are ways to unlock the figure and add morph targets directly in Carrara, but I have never done it that way. What we need to do is to add an editable morph target zone to the figure. Here are a couple of ways to do it:

- In Carrara, adjust the figure into the shape you'd like to use as a morph

- Back in the Assemble Room, export the figure as an OBJ - no materials needed - use the DAZ Studio preset option in export

- In D|S, load the original item and use Morph Loader Pro to bring in your saved OBJ as a new morph

This is where the exporting of the OBJ makes the most important part of the operation, as the scale must be correct for this to work properly.

Once you have the new morph created and installed, use the CR2 Exporter to save the new figure

=============================================================================

I've not yet tried the above method, but I know that it works. Here's how I've made mine:

I used my D|S <> Hexagon bridge

- Open the figure into D|S

- Go to File > Send to Hexagon (note that, if you need the main figure as a reference, you can send them both to Hexagon)

Wait for Hexagon to open and to load in whatever was in your D|S scene

- In Hexagon we must make at least some small change to the shape of the figure. You may actually model the morph, if you like. I did all of that in Carrara.

- Go to File > Send to D|S

You'll get a dialog from Morph Loader Pro

- Click the little triangle thingy to open the hierarchy of available options

- Name: Give your new morph a name. Right-click the existing name "Morph" to change the value to a new name

- Property Group: Name the new Morph Target. This is what you'll select in Carrara as the morph group when you want to make a new morph

Accept

Now you'll have a new morph on that figure. Before adding another, just be aware that this new morph is now set all the way on, so turn it off (0.00) before sending the model back to Hexagon. I never do send it back, because I'm only using this process to add the new channel over the entire figure which allows for safe morph edits without having to unlock the model.

Now you'll have to use the CR2 Exporter to make a new figure under a new name. I always use the same location, so I know where it is years later. For example, if I use this method to add a full-body morph target to Michael 4, I'd save the new CR2 back into "DAZ People", where I'd look for the original, but I'd make the name unique so that I know which one to load in Carrara.

I do this with clothing and hair and, like mentioned above, even actual figures! :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2016

you don't want binary morph file, it creates a .pmd, did some testing and found carrara can't read pmd.

makes the morphs save externally from the cr2

Post edited by Mistara on

Is there a way a way to delete morphs later?  If you made a bunch of morphs and decided you didn't want them anymore or were trying to save memory on the loaded figure is there a way to zap a morph?
    If you created a that you wanted to use later (same figure/clothes), I assume you can copy it from a morph from one scene to another?  Of course the other option is to save the entire figure/clothes for later use.  But I was thinking saving a morph itself will take up less space (or should anyway).

It's always best to keep a version of the original file untouched. Save under a unique name, even if all you do is add "m" at the end of the name, for example. But worst come to worse, we can always just reinstall the product again for a fresh version. In that case, you make want to give the changed version a unique name so that it doesn't get overwritten! ;) Never know when we want to have a look at that messed up thing! 

If you don't have the CR2 exporter, it's here in the Poser Format Exporter

Hmmm... maybe you don't need that. Perhaps D|S just has Export CR2 on its own?

PFE seems to only have pz2, hd2 and fc2

If you try exporting a CR2 and you cannot, try this thing. I'm pretty sure that I had to install this first.

edited January 2016

If you don't have Hexagon, I strongly recommend trying the Morph Loader Pro option. Here is an excellent video tutorial by Brent Bowers at DAZ 3D. Notice when he adds his three morphs into the morph loader that they are indeed obj files. Then he right-clicks in the Name and Property Group to change their value

After watching this, I see that in his first example, he actually does something that we don't want to do for this experience. He changes the controller to the hip, rather than leaving it on the whole skeleton, like he does with the final two examples. 

Just leave the control property setting alone. This makes it so that, once in Carrara, you may create your morphs across the entire mesh, rather than having to select Head (for example) separately, then tweak the Neck... etc.,

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Well I do have that poser format exporter installed, so perhaps I am using it.  Still it popped up the questions I wasn't sure how to answer.  Will give it another try shortly.

And yes for SURE I am going to use a different file name.  One question, as long as i use a different file name it won't overwrite anything else (don't think so but thought I would ask)?  I found it odd how the destination path had to be specific rather than a simple location to stick the cr2 file.  Then again it would have to be poser compatible and have the usual runtime system.

Thanks for the morph tips, I do have hexagon but may do it the Carrara way instead.  Infact since I already edited some clothes, it would be easier at this point to export to obj, bring into studio with the orignal and use morph loader pro on them.  One less step than loading in DS, send to hex, add a morph location, send back to DS, send to carrara to for actual morph adding and posing etc.  But always glad there is more than one way to do it.

Another tip: If you bring in your altered figures as a morph, make sure that they are exported without being posed (keeping them in the default T pose)

I know this sounds ridiculous, but it can happen, and then that whole alteration throws the geometry out of whack as a morph! LOL

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited January 2016

Ah yes good reminder.  I probabaly would have remembered, but always a good idea to mention it lol.  Well I did export to cr2, used the same spot as the original v4 figure runtime/dazpeople gave it the filename of v4powerloaded.cr2 and I didn't have it gather files (last option) or the binary file.  It seemed to work.  I loaded the new powerloaded V4 into Carrara and she looks ok. However I still get the error when I do the foot pose and I have to manually point to InjDeltas.PBMFeetForShoe.pz2  also the morph sliders on the clothes still revert to 0.  Not all of them but most of the FBM's certainly do.

The V4 morphs seem to work and they are loaded by default (can morth to the girl 4 for example)  so that is good.  But I don't see a difference other than having them without dragging the morphs from runtime and loading manually.  I am still having the same problem.  Hmm, ah well I am able to add my own morphs as I need so not a huge deal I guess, still would be nice to use the morphs already there.

And thanks for the video.  I agree leaving the property setting.  I have edited quite a few bits of clothes now and often the names don't make sense causing me to try this one and then that one trying to find the right spot to apply my morph.  A bit of a pain.  The whole thing on at once is much better.

Post edited by dbdigital2 on

Strange. Do you use DIM? Because I suggest uninstalling V4 and trying a fresh install. I know that, when I filed a support ticket regarding kind of the same thing with Genesis 2 figures, DAZ 3D replied that I should use DIM and update my figures, and it did the trick. Now I open DIM often and always run the updates.

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited January 2016

Yes I do use DIM, never installed any other way.  Well DAZ content anyway, I did get a few items I get from other sites, but those go into a different runtime.

And here is another strange one.  I was experimenting on the standard V4 and I find that dragging and dropping of morph injections often don't work.  While selecting V4 then doubleclicking in the browser works every time.  Ah ok dragging and droping onto V4 in the scene list doesn't work, but double clicking or dragging the morph injection onto V4 in the 3d window (of assembly room) works fine.  Werid.

Post edited by dbdigital2 on

Yeah... strange. I never knew that because I always double-click! LOL

I'm about to get back into my morph creation mode, so I'll be seeing how different morph creation is now in 8.5 compared to 8.1, which I just loved. With the addition of Genesis compatibility, I'm not sure if any of that has changed. But that'll be one of my main time-consumers of my days for quite some time, coming up pretty quick here. That and cranking my cpu core wide-open again all night rendering animation footage. I'm glad my cpu likes that sort of thing. ;)

• Well I did double click for a while, then I got PhilW's tutorial "Learning Carrara 8.5" and thought "hmm ok will try it that way"  So I am thinking it is something that changed in the latest version (either 8 to 8.5 or 8.5.1 at least I think that is what we are at now build 19 I know it is).  Most likely a bug.  Leave it to me to find bugs LOL!  I may file a ticket so they know about it, but I have a feeling they already do heh.  It is not a earth shattering bug since there are several ways to do it, but it also might be something that is easy to fix.