Weird thing with Smart Content

DamselDamsel Posts: 382

I use Smart Content to install my stuff, with a couple of exceptions. But I noticed about a week ago that it quit showing the products I bought. If I open the beta, I can install them, and I can install them with DIM. I have Daz set to highest product ID. Is this related to the new Beta release that talks about licensing? (And what is that all about?)

Anybody else noticed this?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,022

If the products came from Rendo, they don't have the metadata for 'Smart' Content

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 613

While it’s true that products from third-party sites (and sometimes, old Daz Studio content) install into Daz Studio without metadata, you can manually create a Product from any subset of items installed (mapped) in your Content Library.  The items can be from one product or from multiple products.  Once a Product has been created, it appears in Smart Content without a thumbnail image but you can create one easily and file it in Runtime/Support as long as it has the same metadata name as the dsx file that Daz Studio creates when you create a Product.  The thumbnail filename needs to be in the format LOCAL_USER_Your_Product_Name.jpg.

Metadata.jpg
    1200 x 811 - 208K
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,023

The more content you have, the more you realize how limited the entire Smart Content system is, and the fact that DAZ isn't going to go back and generate metadata for all of the old product being moved over from Rendo only makes it less useful.        

• 3-D Arena3-D Arena Posts: 194

I've had this issue since before the migrations.  New purchases no longer showing up for download in Smart Content.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

As I have bought from other sites or downloaded freebies and used Content Wizard to install items into DIM, and I had to fix metadata or create it. The files then showed up in Smart Content under 'Files'. For product sold by DAZ created prior to Smart Content or brought over from RDNA I had to learn how to create metadata. SloshWerks' YouTube Tutorial was the best that worked for me. For the Rendo purchases on DAZ, I have kept them low because I accept each one will require an investment in time to add that metadata. If for no other reason than I am a bit ... crazy that way. Drives me nuts. I also create/fix thumbnails that are messed up or missing. This is also true of new product sold by DAZ's store by PAs. I don't want to look for ships in Environments.

It is a great way to learn about the backside of Smart Content though. 

I have one wish that some of the newer options would be reflected more clear: Simulation and dForce settings get left at an upper level (I don't have D|S open right now) and I am not sure just where newer options should be placed. Iray Lights and HDRI settings - well I am lost. But I am not coding for anyone but myself, so what makes sense to me is what I go with.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 382

This was new Daz Studio content. I know Rendo content doesn't show up on Smart Content. I can install it with the Beta as a work around. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,022

Many creators have recently moved from Rendo to Daz and brought their products with them, those products do not have the usual metadata.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,187

From what I understand, there's also a limit to the amount of entries that will be available in Smart Content, so as the amount of assets you have increases, parts will start to drop off from what you see within your smart content, and you'll have to dig them up through other means. No idea whether this limitation is a set amount, or whether it's simply because some script times out while retrieving the content list (Daz Studio definitely takes long enough to boot up when you have a lot of stuff), I don't know, but more and more things start to disappear from Smart Content and/or move to Lost and Found.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336

Drip said:

From what I understand, there's also a limit to the amount of entries that will be available in Smart Content, so as the amount of assets you have increases, parts will start to drop off from what you see within your smart content, and you'll have to dig them up through other means. No idea whether this limitation is a set amount, or whether it's simply because some script times out while retrieving the content list (Daz Studio definitely takes long enough to boot up when you have a lot of stuff), I don't know, but more and more things start to disappear from Smart Content and/or move

to Lost and Found.

Well that sucks. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

Filtering, to reduce the number of items shown, is the intended route but, as long as you are aware of the potential perfomance impact, you can adjust the maximum number of items shown https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5384296/#Comment_5384296