July 2024 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and L.I.E.

New User's Challenge - July, 2024

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the February Lighting Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have all ready participated in the February Lighting Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is July 31, 2024

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge.

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,846

Beginner Challenge - July, 2024

"Portrait Rendering (Expressions and Lighting)"

This month's focus will be Portrait Rendering, with an emphasis on the character's expression and lighting. Portraits are the way we show off the unique aspects of each individual. Expressions should convey their personality. Good lighting will enhance your portrait and set the mood. Portraits don't have to look like yearbook headshots. Get creative, hone your skills, and have some fun in this months contest.

A portrait is a representation of a person, group of people, or even a pet, that displays the expression, personality, and mood of the subject. The focus of a portrait is usually the subject's face, although the entire body and the background or context may be included. Depth of Field is often used to blur the surrounding environment to draw the eye to the subject.

Inspiration:

Portrait Tips and Examples:

Tips for good portrait photos

Google Search - Portrait Expressions

Beginner's Guide to Portrait Composition

Foundations of Portrait Composition Part I: Framing Your Model

Lighting:

Portrait Lighting Patterns

Mastering Lighting in Blender (The first 25 minutes of the video are basic lighting theory and insights.)

Other Helpful Links:

When following tutorials, be cognizant of the different applications (Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara, Blender, etc.) and different render engines (3Delight, Iray, Reality, etc). Techniques for one may not apply directly to another. If you have some favorite portrait lighting and composition tips, please share them in this thread.

Composition Golden Ratio helpers:
    Bryce
    DAZ Studio (Also, DS has a built in Rule of Thirds guide; just select Show Thirds Guide in the Viewport context menu)

Rule of Thirds Guide in Daz Studio

Lighting Tutorials:

Tutorials by Szark (Credit is given to Szark for this wonderful thread with links to many tutorials.)

6 Tips for Better Lighting - Blender Guru (Most is general lighting tips, not Blender specific)

Creating And Lighting A Scene With Iray In DAZ Studio

Great Lighting for Dark Backgrounds

High Key Portraits: Take and Make Great Photography with Gavin Hoey

Low Key Portraits: Take and Make Great Photography with Gavin Hoey

Laws of Light: 5 Portrait Lighting Setups

How to Set-Up Camera, Lights, & Displacement in Daz Studio Octane

How to Create the Perfect 3D Scene Lighting with Daz3D

Portrait Tutorials:

Let's Make a Character Portrait - In the Studio with Daz 3D  (live streamed in February, 2022 – tutorial starts approximately 14:45)

Daz3D Portrait Tutorial  ( magazine article )

Create a realistic portrait in Daz Studio 03: setting up the scene

Some good information on useful portrait cropping

https://digital-photography-school.com/good-crop-bad-crop-how-to-crop-portraits/

The Rule of Thirds in 5 minutes | Creating More Dynamic Framing

And of course its always a good idea to check the portraits contests from the last years:

July, 2023

July, 2022

July, 2021

July, 2020

July, 2019

July, 2018

July, 2017

July, 2016

July, 2015

Intermediate Challenge July 2024 - L.I.E. (Layered Image Editor)

What is the Layered Image Editor?

The Layered Image Editor (LIE) allows you to create, open, edit, and save DAZ Studio Layered Image (DLI) sets (*.dsi). A DLI is a composite of image layers into a single Studio material file which can then be applied to an object's material zone in Studio via the Surfaces tab. DLIs can be composed of any image file format supported in Studio (i.e., TIFF, PNG, JPEG, etc.). In addition, DLIs can contain other DLIs as part of its composition. The images composing the layers are not modified as the DLI file contains the pathname to the files and the opacity and blending information.

The DLI format provides a way of combining images without modifying the original images. For example, a tattoo could be available as an option on a figure. Usually, this might require separate texture maps for each skin color plus an extra set of maps with the tattoo. Using the LIE, a DLI file could be built layering the tattoo over the skin maps and the resulting .dsi file added to the material file to load via a MAT pose file. The original skin map can then be applied to the figure without the tattoo or with it, all without having to create two texture maps.

L.I.E. Video Tutorials

Daz Studio Layered Image Editor

DAZ Studio Tutorial - Layered Image Editor - Make your own Tattoos

Daz Studio Tattoo Tutorial

L.I.E Article Tutorial

Daz Custom Tattoos Tutorial

Forum Threads

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19670/how-do-i-use-layered-image-editor-lie

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/191661/how-to-save-a-layer-image-editor-l-i-e-preset

And of course its always a good idea to check the portraits contests from the past years:

July, 2023

July, 2022

July, 2021

July, 2020

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,182

Here's a start to an idea that I have for this month.  Kinda dark, but I want the fireball spell that they are preparing to use on us to be the primary lighting on them.

july2024a.jpg
    890 x 1440 - 786K
  • YTYT Posts: 5

For the beginner challenge, as i've missed the February Lighting challenge -

a sincere nun

i wanted to create a portrait in which the figure shows its true self.

the main part was created in daz, with a few small tweaks for the poison effect and vignetting in photoshop. :)

Nun final.jpg
    2667 x 4000 - 4M

Got version B rendered today.

Did some texture work, and adjusted the camera a little.

july2024b.jpg
    889 x 1440 - 861K

YT said:

the main part was created in daz, with a few small tweaks for the poison effect and vignetting in photoshop. :)

The image is a lot of fun though IDK if I want to eat that food. Seems dangerous winksurprise 

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Got version B rendered today.

Did some texture work, and adjusted the camera a little.

Well done! If you want to make the magical effect pop a bit more, you could try adding in a spotlight or point light and setting it to a similar color as the items effect and moving it in front of or point it at her face a bit. It will make the light of the magic effect look as if it is projecting further and also help light the scene a bit more. Its a good way to add more light without trying to adjust the surface emission which can sometimes blow out/over-light the textures on the prop. 

• kmwkmw Posts: 21
    edited July 12

Not sure if I qualify as a "beginner." But I haven't entered any of these contests before.so I'm thinking I can't enter the Intermediate either.

Yeah, I've put too much thought into this.

Anyway, it's more of a traditional portrait...

Meet Lady DAZ.

kmw

portrait daz.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 373K
    Post edited by kmw on
  • YTYT Posts: 5

DAZ_ann0314 said:

YT said:

The image is a lot of fun though IDK if I want to eat that food. Seems dangerous winksurprise 

I'm glad you like it, the food is definitely not poisoned if that's what you mean ;)

Version C here with the lumanance of the spell upped by about 5 times if I remember right.

july2024c.jpg
    889 x 1440 - 906K

Treated myself to a new weapon using some of my store credit, and decided to share what I came up with for my use of it.

If you look closely at his visor you can see what he's trying to shoot at.

Don't know if I'll do more with this one.

july2024-2a.jpg
    889 x 1440 - 987K
  • ChimChim Posts: 2

Hello,

I would like to enter this piece for the Beginners Challenge
    ----Image Title: Portrait of Bernard, Bianca, and Evinrude
    ----Software Used to Create the Image: Daz3D and Photoshop (to add Tools and Tag Cartouche)

I put together a similar scene but did not “save” after render. It gave me the opportunity to rebuild the background and arrange the lighting.  Skies of Economy Redux Volume 2 Sky 16. It took a few tries to get the final light of sunset to fall on the leaf boat between the trees. Rotating the dome is something I figured out by accident. I realized recently I know nothing about photography and have been watching more tutorials. Thus, I applied vignetting!

Thank you for your consideration,

Charlene Walker

• ChimChim Posts: 2

My apologies,

I will try to load it again.

Thank you for your patience,

Charlene

Bernard, Bianca and Evinrude smaller file.jpg
    7680 x 4320 - 4M
  • Aki3dAki3d Posts: 160

Intermediate Challenge

Sakura with a Warrior Mask

manga.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 1M

Intermediate Challenge

Nofretete

nofretete b.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 303K

This Challenge is now Closed heart TY to everyone who participated heart

And the spotlights for the Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and L.I.E. Challenge Are:

Beginner Challenge:

kmw

Chim

YT

Intermediate Challenge:

Aki3d

Shinji Ikari 9th

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE! ALL THE ENTRIES WERE WONDERFUL! heart

Thank you!

• kmwkmw Posts: 21

Cool. I only popped in to see what's what and find I've received a hearty pat on the back.

Thank you. It's an honor!

kmw