How is this laptop for Daz Studio? (ROG Strix SCAR 18 (2024) G834)

RedSoulRedSoul Posts: 60

https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-scar-18-2024/spec/
https://www.microcenter.com/product/677007/asus-rog-strix-scar-18-g834jyr-xs98-18-gaming-laptop-computer-platinum-collection---off-black

I know this may be a silly question; the RAM (comes with 32GB, expandable to 64GB) and the video card being a nVidia 4090 are great, and it has great reviews from people albeit who are likely using it for gaming, not rendering, so I want to make sure everything is fine before I decide if I want to take the plunge with this.

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited July 6

I have an MSI Titan GT77 with a mobile RTX 4090 (i9 3980HX) and love it. Keep in mind that the laptop version of the RTX 4090 is actually a 4080, which is a good thing because it would take a pretty large housing and noisy fans to cope with the heat generated by a desktop 4090 surprise. I've had mine about a year now and am very happy with it. it works very well with DS/Iray, and the performance is very close to a desktop RTX 4080 (they dissipate heat quite well). It would be best to get 64Gb of ram if possible. I actually had DS almost max out the 128Gb I have trying to render a couple weeks ago (after shutting DAZ down and restarting, it didn't even use 64Gb).

DAZ doesn't work the GPU as hard as some other applications I use (i.e. Metashape) and it usually hovers around 62 degrees C when rendering. Your use case might be different, but I'm really happy with the mobile RTX 4090. It's not a true desktop 4090, but since a desktop isn't really an option for me, I'm more than happy with it. It also works extremely well with Cycles and Eevee in Blender, and with Davinci Resolve/Fusion.

Hope this helps. Oh, if your interested, there are a few images in my galleries done with it. I've been focused on other projects since getting the laptop with the 4090 and haven't had a lot of fun render time (I use the laptop for work too - anything done after July 2023 was done with the 4090). I've done several animation renders in Blender, and several VFX (camera match/move) compositions with Resolve/Fusion for documentaries. So it definitely works well!!

Post edited by DustRider on