Someone shoot my computer

dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 803
edited July 8 in The Commons

[Someone shoot my computer] Put it out of my misery. 

I can no longer run Daz at all. New computer three weeks out.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• PaperMoonPaperMoon Posts: 49
    I hear you; mine keeps overheating and shutting down. I've been looking for a new one. Until then, I'm enjoying the great outdoors. Enjoy while you can. It will be cold and snowing again before you know it.
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,342

dennisgray41 said:

Put it out of my misery. 

sad What's up? 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

Driver issue?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,472
    edited July 8

OP's relatable request makes me view his comment as frustration against device related ancientness or decrepitude.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,914

No problems here on 15+ year old hardware, so probably not age related.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,914

I've noticed since I've "upgraded" to 4.22.0.16 my fans kick in all the time and did not with the prior release of DS. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

daveso said:

I've noticed since I've "upgraded" to 4.22.0.16 my fans kick in all the time and did not with the prior release of DS. 

Drivers? I can't think of any chnage in DS that would do this, assuming the settings haven't been modified by you or some content.

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 803

PaperMoon said:

I hear you; mine keeps overheating and shutting down. I've been looking for a new one. Until then, I'm enjoying the great outdoors. Enjoy while you can. It will be cold and snowing again before you know it.

I love the cold. Although I no longer have to work in it so when it stops being fun I go in for the heat.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

dennisgray41 said:

Put it out of my misery. 

sad What's up? 

Heat. I made the mistake of buying a "refurbished" laptop at best buy. Battery trouble from day one and even after I replaced the battery. New model is a custom desktop (no battery, lots of fans) that Kyoto Kid designed for me with a 4060 ti graphics card and latest AMD processor.

LeatherGryphon said:

OP's relatable request makes me view his comment as frustration against device related ancientness or decrepitude.indecision

Excelsior.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,751

My GtX 980 still purrs along using DS 4.10.  Can't do volumes or Dforce hair,  but is still outputting iray renders in 3 - 4 minutes.

• This is my 9 year old Win10 Asus laptop: Intel core i7-6500 CPU, 12GB RAM/11.9 usable, 64 bit OS, x64 based processor,  GPU0 Intel Graphics 520, GPU1 NVIDIA GeForce 940M. (Or as I call it, HAL9000 3.0)

It does run Daz well for what I do - fantasy/SF scenes, character portraits - although I sometimes have to comb the forums for advice. A number of renders do go to CPU but the render times are reasonable.

HAL still annoys me for other reasons, mostly how slow it is to boot up or wake from sleep. It also has several WTF quirks, which is typical for computers used only by me. (I'm not joking; HAL 2.0's predecessor would often go into Blue Screen of Death for a few seconds, then resume normal function. "Really had you scared, the look on your face, Owner. BWAHAHA!") Unfortunately It will be at least next year before I can upgrade to whatever hapless newfangled computer is destined to become HAL9000 3.0.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,937

FirstBastion said:

My GtX 980 still purrs along using DS 4.10.  Can't do volumes or Dforce hair,  but is still outputting iray renders in 3 - 4 minutes.

I just replaced my GTX 960. I couldn't even move around in DS with an empty scene without having some minor lagging. The wife has a GTX 980Ti so she's still able to get around pretty good.

• Andrew_CAndrew_C Posts: 105
    edited July 10

I know the feeling, mine is oddly slow ATM & crashers randomly (not just in DAZ studio, unfortunately). I fear the motherboard is dying. Which seeing as the CPU is a couple generations old, means a new Mobo, RAM and CPU. At least I can affort it ATM.

Post edited by Andrew_C on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,751

frank0314 said:

FirstBastion said:

I just replaced my GTX 960. I couldn't even move around in DS with an empty scene without having some minor lagging. The wife has a GTX 980Ti so she's still able to get around pretty good.

"My other car is a ferrari...er... RTX 3060 "