Dem Bones -- or is it joints? posing by adding or subtracting joints

davesodaveso Posts: 6,914

One of the things I was thinking about was posing in DS..let's use G9 character. The figure looks a lot unnatural when its posed, lying down especially. The human body bends along the backbone. It is pretty flexible with multiple joints. G9 has 4 joints in the back, I believe. If we would add a few more, would the body bend along those joints or would it still only bend in those original 4 regions? I would be hoping it would bend, which would make the body more natural when lying on a chaise or similar. 

Is there a tutorial on working with the joints? Or are they called bones? 

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

Bones can be added with the joint editor, but they would then need weightmapping to have any effect - which would of course remove weight from the existing bones, so any poses that used those would not work as intended (and you would need to save the result as a new figure asset).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,994

...would this also work for hair?

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,533

Richard Haseltine said:

Bones can be added with the joint editor, but they would then need weightmapping to have any effect - which would of course remove weight from the existing bones, so any poses that used those would not work as intended (and you would need to save the result as a new figure asset).

Note also that it would also remove compatibility with any clothing weighted to the original skeleton.

If it wasn't going to cause me a million problems, I would love to re-rig the centaurs to make them more flexible for my renders, but it would indeed cause me a million problems.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,914

well, that's all so sad. I guess nude it would be then. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,673

You probably just need more corrective / flexion morphs (something similar to the morphs in Bend Control, UNBM.. products...) rather than more Bones.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,023

kyoto kid said:

...would this also work for hair?

Technically, yes, BUT... for something like hair, it's generally much easier to get the same effect in post using photoshop's puppet warp.