The Incredible Kitbash

SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 790

(not sure if this is the best place for this - apologies to mods if it's not)

As I'm getting more into the groove of this whole Daz thing, I'm finding there's a certain glee and satisfaction when I have to get creative to get something custom to look right... and it works.

Share your kitbashes! What are you really proud of making work? 

Comments

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 790

Two of my recents:

- Fridge magnets. There really isn't much out there, so I shrunk a bunch of food (fruit, a burger, a piece of pizza, some fancy cocktails) and affixed them to the fridge. They look great!

- One of my characters has a sword made of amber with a dragonfly embedded in it (it's magic, so it works, because magic). When I started this journey I was dismayed because I knew I'd never find anything like that in the store. About a month ago I realized all I really needed was a sword with geometry I liked, some shaders, and a shrunk-down dragonfly model. I got it all put together and strutted around like a conquoring general for the rest of the day.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,970

I've been working on a set for many months that is a kitbash of mostly Kitbash3D items.

The main strip:

I turned this pawn shop

:

into this weapons store (packed with Daz props):

And this cybernetic modification shop began life as a regular operating room:

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,597
    edited July 13

Probably my most involved "kit-bash", the engineering deck of the S.P.V Pharsicle, the primary setting for a collection of O.C.s, originally appearing in a web comic I co-created with the late Paul Scott Gibbs titled "Freighter Tails"  The comic ran from April 2001 until Paul's untimely death in February 2002.  While the concept as a web comic sputtered and eventually halted without Paul's involvment, I still putter the characters, specifically Lt. Mzzkiti, an alien cat-girl,  for a few "fans" still dedicated after 20+ years.

Dor this environment, I literally chopped up selected geometries of NightShift3D's Odyssen Station sets, mixing and matching pieces along with some Stonemason elements, the plungers from some 2005 Daleks by Billy-Home, girders ftom an "Evil of the Daleks" throne chamber vy Rob Semenoff, meshes I personally modeled to resemble Dalek upper sections (serving as capacitors), and displacement maps I made, derived from Death Star surface tiles made by JediLaw.  (That entire lowest surface is actually a single 4 sided polygon!)

FT-Engineering-J-4.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 333K
    Post edited by Redfern on

Oh wow, both of you! Those are so gorgeous!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,751

There's atleast 10 products worth of clutter in here. Helps give it that lived in look.  Life is messy.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,597
    edited July 17

SilverGirl said:

Here's an untextured "clay" render of my engine room depicting only the geometry and the displacements.

I also removed the ceiling girders and draping cables for clarity.

FT-Engine-Grey-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 118K
    Post edited by Redfern on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,917

I bashed together a village scene for some kind of "Midsomer Murders" kind of story that happened in my head. The most time-consuming parts was creating fake rooms in the terraced houses in the back.

WinterMoon said:

I bashed together a village scene for some kind of "Midsomer Murders" kind of story that happened in my head. The most time-consuming parts was creating fake rooms in the terraced houses in the back.

Oh pretty! I get chills just looking at it!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,569
    edited July 17

Bashed up from a number of polygons:

The UK has a drag strip called 'Santa Pod', so I thought it amusing to have a racing snail (gastropod) at a strip called 'Gastro Pod' where the starting gantry was also a gastro - restaurant. OK, I modelled the entire drag strip, garages and gantries from scratch and then used Shinteo freebies for all the characters & Rendo freebies for the wheeled vehicles and racing snail. One of the characters thought looking at her reflection in a car mirror was more interesting than the racing snail.

Regards,

Richard

January 2023 01 R03d.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,994
    edited July 18

..an oldie but still one of my best.

"This is da Place"

this is the place pw .jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,917

SilverGirl said:

Oh pretty! I get chills just looking at it!

Thanks! smiley

richardandtracy said:

One of the characters thought looking at her reflection in a car mirror was more interesting than the racing snail.

I love little details like that.

Though to be fair, one really ought to look one's best for a snail race! 

kyoto kid said:

..an oldie but still one of my best.

"This is da Place"

I love it!

I hadn't at all thought of making the Aslan's Court set into something more modern, but it turned out fantastic! 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,994
    edited July 22

...thank you.

Combining it with Mooshine's Diner was, should I say, an interesting process.  The hanging lights were kitbashed from the Diner's roof  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 906

What a great scene you have kitbashed. 

9a7626e8ff8923ef389bf47b98db02[1].png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 906

Redfern said:

SilverGirl said:

Here's an untextured "clay" render of my engine room depicting only the geometry and the displacements.

Very nice...

I also removed the ceiling girders and draping cables for clarity.

kenmo said:

What a great scene you have kitbashed. 

I love this! Very gritty.