Add-ons for products that are not available in the DAZ shop?

arthenicsarthenics Posts: 143
edited July 18 in The Commons

Hello,

Is it only me who feels it doesn't make sense to sell add-ons for products that are not available through the DAZ shop? That means the main products are not installed with DAZ installer... At least, that's not really user friendly and kinda weird if the main product doesn't pass the DAZ validation rules...

Post edited by arthenics on

Comments

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 356

I would not have an issue with this if it was CLEARLY marked and not just mentioned in wall of text in description. We need better filtering on store, and we wont be getting it.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,914
    edited July 17

arthenics said:

That means the main products are not installed with DAZ installer... 

If you mean DAZ Install Manager (DIM), I believe that nearly all products sold in the DAZ store, from SKU 0 and up, have been converted to DIM format, and have remained available as such for those who purchased them when they were available.  Practically all my own 21787 products, including Michael 1 with SKU 3, have DIM installers. 

So if you own an inactive main product, both that and any still available add-ons can most likely be installed with DIM.

m1_library_page.png
    646 x 752 - 100K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited July 17

Tomhip said:

I would not have an issue with this if it was CLEARLY marked and not just mentioned in wall of text in description. We need better filtering on store, and we wont be getting it.

Theoretically there should be a "Required products" field on product pages for add-ons, but there used to be a bug that caused it to disappear temporarily at random on random product pages, and which may still not have been fixed (very difficult to track down), so the field may or may not be there when you browse the page.  I also suspect that today the field may not even be there at all if the product title clearly indicates that it's an add-on. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,751

This could be hapening with some of the mass migration products that came from Renderosity in the last few months. Even if the main product is manually installed, a DIM installed add-on will usually work just fine in DS.

FirstBastion said:

This could be hapening with some of the mass migration products that came from Renderosity in the last few months. Even if the main product is manually installed, a DIM installed add-on will usually work just fine in DS.

Don't all those migrated products have DIM installers?  Those I've bought so far have.  

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,562
    edited July 17

Taoz said:

FirstBastion said:

Don't all those migrated products have DIM installers?  Those I've bought so far have.  

Migrated products do have DIM installers.
    But some are add-ons for products still at Renderosity, so the base product may not have DIM installers. And in that case, there's also no required product link on the add-on page since the base product is not here.

Post edited by Leana on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

I know that the Rendo transferred items I have bought were DIM installed. Although none had metadata, so I have to add it.

For the texture sets for items still on Rendo I have found some have appeared later as the other artist moved over. But, I am avoiding texture packs, unless I already bought the main products.

I have ran into the issue with an old Gen4 item and below which is a texture set for a product that had been removed for sale. The promo page had the Required Item buried in the text. I am seeing withdrawn items on the Product Library pages cross-reference to the required item in the Description but that is still hit-or-miss.

If I did buy the required item at Rendo, I would use Content Wizard to install it.