What to do?

Howdy Folks,

It has been weeks since I have felt like I could do anything 3D related.  I upgraded my computer, and it has a UHD (or 4K) screen, which makes some appliations unusable.  Carrara actually follows the Windows scaleing, and is readable (fuzzy, but readable), but DAZ Studio is microscopic as it uses fixed-sized fonts (bad design decision).  Normally this would not be an issue, except that most of the new content that I find interesting has been coming out for Genesis 3, and will not work in Carrara. So, I just sigh and move on.  Does anyone know if it is possible to use Genesis 3 clothing on Genesis 2 figures in Carrara?  If I could do that, I at least could use some of the new clothes that have come out.  Thanks!

Rich S.

Comments

• I don't think you can put Genesis 3 clothing on Genesis 2 currently even in Studio.  A tool or clones might come along to allow that but not at the moment (like it did to put Genesis 2 clothing on Genesis 1).  You can morph  manually in Carrara, but I think that is your only choice at the moment with regard to Genesis 3 clothing (if you can get it to import, I haven't tried, you might have to export as OBJ from Studio first).  I suspect we will get Genesis 3 compatibility in Carrara sometime this year, but I very much doubt it will have backwards incompatibility.  There are other tools like the cross dresser by evilinnonce, but I don't know it if handles Genesis 3, it does mention Genesis.  I would double check with them before purchasing the converter though to see if it will fit your needs.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited January 2016

This may work with the transfer utiliy (I don't have it so I can't check), or maybe just saving the conformed clothing?.

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s

Post edited by DustRider on
  • DustRider said:

This may work with the transfer utiliy (I don't have it so I can't check), or maybe just saving the conformed clothing?.

Ahh I misseed that coming out.  Figured there would be one eventually.  Clone and shape work with autofit not transfer utility, they may not be perfect but they often work very well, but this may not work in Carrara directly (I am not sure Carrara does have autofi for G2 which this works on).  You might need to fit them in studio then save out the clothesas obj or cr2 and import into Carrara.  But it will be a whole heck of a lot faster than doing morphs manually.  Though the clothes still might need a little touchups, depending on the item.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    DustRider said:

Ahh I misseed that coming out.  Figured there would be one eventually.  Clone and shape work with autofit not transfer utility, they may not be perfect but they often work very well, but this may not work in Carrara directly (I am not sure Carrara does have autofi for G2 which this works on).  You might need to fit them in studio then save out the clothesas obj or cr2 and import into Carrara.  But it will be a whole heck of a lot faster than doing morphs manually.  Though the clothes still might need a little touchups, depending on the item.

Carrara does have Autofit for gen and gen2. I use it all the time it will update teh M4/V4 stuff to Gen or Gen2.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    DustRider said:

Thanks everyone!  There is a Genesis 2 sale going on, so I grabbed that tonight.  I am going to give it a try, and I'll post back to let everyone know if it works or not.  Thanks!

Rich S.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    DustRider said:

Carrara does have Autofit for gen and gen2. I use it all the time it will update teh M4/V4 stuff to Gen or Gen2.

Quick Update:  I purchased the above mentioned utility, but it has no effect in Carrara.  Putting Genesis 3 clothes on Genesis 2 results in clothes that do not follow the model.  Once you pose the figure, the close stay in the originally loaded position.  I managed to work around this by loading up a Genesis 2 character, and applying the clothes in DAZ Studio, and then saving as a scene subset.  This seems to work, but requires the use of DAZ Studio, which sort of defeats what I was hopign to do, and this is not use DAZ with ultra tiny fonts.  I'll post my render here once I get it completed.  Thanks for the assistance.

Rich S.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738

I've seen comments here in the Carrara forum stating that DAZ is working on making Carrara Genesis 3-compliant. I don't know when exactly, but at some point, you should be able to use Genesis 3 content in Cararra without having to resort to third-party utilities. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited January 2016
    LinkRS said:
    DustRider said:

Quick Update:  I purchased the above mentioned utility, but it has no effect in Carrara.  Putting Genesis 3 clothes on Genesis 2 results in clothes that do not follow the model.  Once you pose the figure, the close stay in the originally loaded position.  I managed to work around this by loading up a Genesis 2 character, and applying the clothes in DAZ Studio, and then saving as a scene subset.  This seems to work, but requires the use of DAZ Studio, which sort of defeats what I was hopign to do, and this is not use DAZ with ultra tiny fonts.  I'll post my render here once I get it completed.  Thanks for the assistance.

Rich S.

I have a feeling that the reason lies within the new dual quaternion skinning of Genesis 3, which is absent from Carrara, and that perhaps D|S performs some sort of conversion during the Auto-Fit process. This quote explains a bit more regarding Genesis 3 in Carrara:

rbtwhiz said:

Is Genesis 3 support being worked on for Carrara? Yes, it is. Will I give you a date on when a build that has Genesis 3 support is going to be publicly available? Sorry, I will not—not yet anyway.

I will say that support for dual quaternion skinning (a prerequisite for Genesis 3 support, and quite useful in its own right) has been implemented and has been with the Private Build testers for several weeks now. Feedback on the feature(s) thus far has been positive. I will also say that earlier this month the Private Build testers were asked what they thought about releasing a build with the dual quaternion skinning support. The responses we got basically boiled down to it not being enough to make much of a difference in the current climate. We [reluctantly] agree, and so decided to hold the feature until Genesis 3 support could be implemented.

And on that note, recently the Private Build testers were given a build that provides their first look at Genesis 3 support. Initial reactions have been positive, however there are a few things that we knew were not working correctly before we gave them the build.  We are looking for [and getting] feedback from that team to help us suss out where the other problems are.

As for the question of Daz Connect support in Carrara... It is still a bit too early to commit. I know that is probably not what you want to read/hear, but that is all I can really say about it right now. There are still some things to be ironed out, and dealing with those things in two very complex applications at the same time—particularly with a team that runs on the lean side anyway—would be very unwise. Daz Studio is the proving grounds for Daz Connect integration.

-Rob

Post edited by Dartanbeck on