Large Supermarket (Similar style as Safeway, Ralph's, A&P, etc.)?

I am wondering if there is a full large supermarket complete with building exterior, and interior with aisles filled with products, a produce section, checkouts, etc.  It would be nice if it is in a close enough style as Safeway, Ralph's, A&P, and other major supermarket chains - but not exactly like those brands, of course.

If none exists anywhere, maybe someone could consider developing such item for the Shop.

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,880

Shreddder has a supermarket at Renderosity: https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/161372/supermarket-for-daz - looks like it's only the interior, though.

Blue Tree Studio also has something called "supermarket" there: https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/136497/supermarket-for-daz-studio - however, the exterior looks more like a convenience store rather than a supermarket.

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,109

I bought the Shreddder Supermarket several months ago, and it doesn't seem to have very many aisles, and short aisles at that.  More suited for a small municipality if anything.

I also have the Blue Tree version, and if anything, that supermarket is actually more compact with higher shelves and more products than what a convenience store would offer.  Sounds more reminiscent of a No Frills store by the Loblaws Corporation in Canada.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,569
    edited July 20

I'd like to explore the magnitude of the model needed as an exercise in thinking through the model.

Our local large supermarket has aisles 60 ft long, ten shelf units long. There are 5 shelves per side, and spare boxes rest on top. The ceiling is low, having had a second floor inserted into the warehouse 15 years after construction. The building is two aisles deep, 12 aisles wide (24 aisles total) The aisles are not in line, breaking the sight lines. There are the same number of aisles in the non-food upstairs area. These have a slightly higher ceiling.

Consider somewhere like the sweet aisle. Sweet packets take maybe 8" of shelf per type. So, 9 types per shelf per shelf unit. This gives 90 products per shelf unit in the aisle. Or 900 different products in the aisle. All need display boxes, and different textures that don't break copyright. So, 1800 textures per aisle, maybe 512 pixels square, but probably can't get away with much smaller for adequate detail. Then instanced copies of the boxes and contents. This will get 1800 individual models per aisle, with 15000(?) instances per aisle. Canned goods will have fewer products per aisle, jars probably more. Then chilled and frozen goods...

Now, how many aisles? Not everyone will want a scene in the sweet aisle. 3 Aisles, 4? 6? 10? This gives a huge model, with a huge amount of imagination needed by the modeller to come up with their own product names and products that can be used in all regions. There is an Australian sticky tape called 'Durex', in the UK the brand name is used for prophylactics, and utterly unsuitable for the stationery aisle. The modeller would need to know this and avoid the obvious and less obvious problems to permit the product to be family friendly in all areas that use DS.

So, it's a huge task. Which may explain the current fairly limited availability of models. Very daunting for a modeller to tackle, and how many people will want the model once done? Not too many, probably. 

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 790

Here's something I've started to think of when I'm looking for assets...

...how much of the asset do I *really* need?

Do I need to decorate the whole basement if I just need a couple shots set in one corner? Can I get away with just putting a few things in view that imply more off-screen?

Okay, I don't have any good heels to go with this outfit, but I do have sandals, and if I pose her feet right and angle the camera properly, the heel part is assumed even if it doesn't exist... do I really need to buy anything if I can fake it well?

So in that spirit, would it be possible to kit-bash something with some grocery packs, instancing, and aisles from what you already have (or can easily obtain)? If you angle it right, can you make it look like the aisle goes on farther than it does?

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,109

Well, I have gotten started on creating a 3D exterior building of a small supermarket based on the Coleman's brand using the Blender software.