Help with fixing a geometry issue

mechw8mechw8 Posts: 42

Hi all; I was playin around with some poses on my Genesis 8 female and I noticed when I spread and bent the legs, the pelvis has this hard triangular looking piece of geometry that doesnn't look natural at all. I tried searching the forums and YouTube for a fix, but couldn't find anything related to my specific issue. I tried adding a smoothing modifier to the character, but that didn't work, and I tried plying around with Edge Interpolation and SubDivision Normals features under the Parameters tab, and still have the same results. I've uploaded a screen shot of the issue, as you can see, the figure's pelvis or crotch has a G.I.Joe action figure toy look to it instead of looking like a natural human pelvis. What am I missing here? Is there a way to fix this issue? Thanks.

(Image removed by mod, please reupload with untextured figure https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity)

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,165

It looks like you have an Big Girl unupdated morph installed.

Go to paramaters, and in setting enable 'show hidden', and then with the character selected in the scene tab, in Parameters click 'Currently used'.

One of the shown morphs is the culprit.

• mechw8mechw8 Posts: 42

felis said:

Go to paramaters, and in setting enable 'show hidden', and then with the character selected in the scene tab, in Parameters click 'Currently used'.

The image I uploaded was a base G8 female with no morphs applied to it; It has this problem out of the box. If you load a base female or male into the scene, spread the leges and bend them at the thights, you will see the same result.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,003

mechw8 said:

felis said:

The image I uploaded was a base G8 female with no morphs applied to it; It has this problem out of the box. If you load a base female or male into the scene, spread the leges and bend them at the thights, you will see the same result.

It does not matter that you load a base figure, you can still have some rogue morphs applied - Just follow the advice given 

PerttiA said:

mechw8 said:

felis said:

It does not matter that you load a base figure, you can still have some rogue morphs applied - Just follow the advice given 

Okay guys I followed the instructions above and this is what I got, see pic. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here; do you guys see anything that's out of place?

Screenshot 2024-07-20 185934.png
    823 x 1848 - 225K
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,483

Since nothing relevant has shown up in the first step, it's time for step 2. Click the menu icon right above the Parameters tab, and select Zero > Zero Figure Shape. Then check Currently Used again.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,095
    edited July 21

mechw8 said:

PerttiA said:

mechw8 said:

felis said:

Okay guys I followed the instructions above and this is what I got, see pic. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here; do you guys see anything that's out of place?

Since you've posed the figure, there must be hidden corrective morph properties shown...  You need to tick "Show Hidden Properties..." in the hamburger menu (upper left corner - Preferences).

Post edited by crosswind on

I curently have hidden items shown in the parameters tab; I zeroed the figure shape and checked 'Currently Used" and I still don't see anything out of the ordinary. Again; just to be clear, the problem area is where the legs bend and spread st the figure's crotch.

Screenshot 2024-07-21 032221.png
    823 x 1858 - 184K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,003

To fix any ill-behaving (non-zero default value) morphs, do as follows;

1. Open DS and load "Genesis 8 Basic Female" (to an empty scene)
    2. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Preferences->Choose "Show Hidden Properties" (part 3 zeroes only 'visible' dials)
    3. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure (Zeroes the value of all the 'visible' dials)
    4. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Memorize->Memorize Figure (Sets the current value of all the dials as their default value)
    5. File->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets (Writes the changed default value to the morph files that were changed)

When saving "Modified Assets" DS shows a dialog and asks for confirmation;
    "The following file(s) will be permanently modified:" - "Accept/Cancel" - Choose "Accept"

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,095

mechw8 said:

I curently have hidden items shown in the parameters tab; I zeroed the figure shape and checked 'Currently Used" and I still don't see anything out of the ordinary. Again; just to be clear, the problem area is where the legs bend and spread st the figure's crotch.

What matters is whether the figure is posed or not... As you said there's problem around the areas of legs bend / spread, so the figure's legs are bent / side-side, correct ? Like the attached ss1... if so, there must be corrective morphs shown in Parameters pane.

If you see nothing dialed... also check if Base Joint Correctives is turned on (ss2).

You better presse Ctrl + 7 firstly to switch to Smooth Shaded drawstyle, then you can post a full screeshot..

SNAG-2024-7-21-001.png
    2024 x 1289 - 304K
    SNAG-2024-7-21-002.png
    2021 x 1290 - 281K

PerttiA said:

To fix any ill-behaving (non-zero default value) morphs, do as follows;

1. Open DS and load "Genesis 8 Basic Female" (to an empty scene)
    2. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Preferences->Choose "Show Hidden Properties" (part 3 zeroes only 'visible' dials)
    3. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure (Zeroes the value of all the 'visible' dials)
    4. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Memorize->Memorize Figure (Sets the current value of all the dials as their default value)
    5. File->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets (Writes the changed default value to the morph files that were changed)

When saving "Modified Assets" DS shows a dialog and asks for confirmation;
    "The following file(s) will be permanently modified:" - "Accept/Cancel" - Choose "Accept"

Sorry for the late response; it's been a busy week.  I followed all the steps as listed. but I still see the same problem.

crosswind said:

mechw8 said:

What matters is whether the figure is posed or not... As you said there's problem around the areas of legs bend / spread, so the figure's legs are bent / side-side, correct ? Like the attached ss1... if so, there must be corrective morphs shown in Parameters pane.

If you see nothing dialed... also check if Base Joint Correctives is turned on (ss2).

You better presse Ctrl + 7 firstly to switch to Smooth Shaded drawstyle, then you can post a full screeshot..

Sorry for the late resonse. Base joint correctivness is on and has been from the start. Here are a couple of screen shots of what I'm seeing when I spread the legs and bend the thighs. Notice the circled area of the crotch; see those wrinkles at the top of the thigh and that tiangular shape where the genitals would be? That's what I'm trying to fix; when a real human is in this position, their crotch doesn't look like that.

Screenshot 2024-07-26 162843.png
    3058 x 1879 - 746K
    Screenshot 2024-07-26 162920.png
    1609 x 1219 - 346K