Shockwave/Sonic Boom/vapor cone effects?

Are there any out there? I've looked around and there don't seem to be any. I could probably accomplish something in photoshop but I would like something I can view from multiple angles.

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,449
    I haven't seen any, I must admit. It's the sort of thing that is very dependent on the aircraft geometry, though not many people know enough to say when it's wrong. So.. it could be done with a simple pair of cones, a mesh to VDB script and a vdb shader. I can do the first bit, and a mesh to VDB product exists to do the latter bits. I may try myself, sorta tickles my fancy. Regards, Richard.
  • I suppose a VDB-ified pair of cones could probably capture the transonic vapor cone, but that action movie "explosive shockwave" would be a bit more complex. hmm. I'll have to look into it.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,449
    edited July 25

If you mean a shock cone similar to the attached test piece photo I found on the net, I suspect it could be done with a pair of surfaces close together and a flint glass shader applied. The refractive index, reflectivity and glossiness could then be tweaked to give the right look. Probably just need a ROI of 1.1 or so for it to show, and everything else set to zero.

Might be worth modelling the cone with a morph to change the velocity. The cone in the image seems to have around a 60 degree back sweep, so must be travelling in the order of Mach 3 (which is going some). Mach 1 will be a disc, and Mach 2 a 45 degree cone.

Regards,

Richard

Image4.jpg
    326 x 434 - 16K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • dirtriderdirtrider Posts: 27
    edited July 28

I was able to get some pretty good sonic booms mixing and layering different props from this: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-real-fog-vdb-2 with this: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-real-fog-iray-vdb. ; I should also mention I used an arial hdri and Polish's S14 fighter jet to keep it on theme while testing.

Post edited by dirtrider on