How to make Loadable Presets.

n.aspros123n.aspros123 Posts: 147
edited July 26 in New Users

Is it a possibilty to save the values as Presets from an existing saved file and then can load them for the same character? So the values from Surface can be loaded for the same character but in a new scene?

How are Presets saved and loaded for the same character? When a render is made and finished, I run into issues trying to use the same characters and scene for a new scene. So I start from scratch.

So far I've used the Windows 10 snipping tool to capture the values.

Jill Skin Surface1.JPG
390 x 550 - 44K
Jill Skin Surface2.JPG
391 x 551 - 47K
Jill Skin Surface3.JPG
390 x 549 - 47K
Jill Transmitted Color 1.JPG
495 x 354 - 30K
Jill Transmitted Color 2.JPG
307 x 542 - 31K
Jill Skin Colour Surface A11 .JPG
805 x 545 - 65K
Post edited by n.aspros123 on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,165

If it is just the skin setting and textures you could save it as a material preset.

If you want to save the whole character with e.g. clothing and hair, you can save it as a scene subset.

• n.aspros123n.aspros123 Posts: 147

felis said:

If it is just the skin setting and textures you could save it as a material preset.

If you want to save the whole character with e.g. clothing and hair, you can save it as a scene subset.

Idiotic question.

Say if I want to select Surfaces>Skin or Suit (there's multiples), I highlight the items in the left column and how do you save them as a material preset?

Is this correct? To save a whole character, I select the character and sub lines and select Save As>Scene Subset?

@felis

I am not sure I fully follow your question.

A material preset is a material, e.g. skin, for the selected object (character).

If you want to both save the skin and the suit you need a scene subset, and in the popup box you tick what you want to save (expand if necessary).

edited July 27

felis said:

I am not sure I fully follow your question.

A material preset is a material, e.g. skin, for the selected object (character).

If you want to both save the skin and the suit you need a scene subset, and in the popup box you tick what you want to save (expand if necessary).

This is what I want to do. @felis 

I have a scene with Jill and Leon.

I want to replace Jill (Jilleon Alt Bum Pose 1) with the same version (Jilleon Alt Bum Pose 2) that has different colours (skin, suit colours in edit section) and less leg strap chipping. Then change those colours with a preset to the previous Jill (Jilleon Alt Bum Pose 1) colours.

The Jill character with morphs and environtment map is tied together created by @crosswind.  Do I simply select Jill and other items in the scene section and save as a scene subset? Then later I can just load the newly loaded Jill character into a scene? Can the same for Leon be saved.

For some reason the leg straps are disappearing and have chips.

Can Camera and Llghts (Spotlights) be saved as loadable presets or do I need to snip tool each Camera Parameter and Light setting in the Editor section?

I want to save as individual Presets so I don't have to spend hours changing everything again.

I've added the Jill and Assets file in a DM so you can have a look. Check your Inbox.

Jilleon Alt Bum Pose 1.JPG
    1321 x 870 - 220K
    Jilleon Alt Bum Pose 2.JPG
    1216 x 869 - 152K
    Jill Save As Presets 1.jpg
    1920 x 766 - 353K

With a scene subset, you can tick off whatever there are in the scene tab to include or not.

If you want to change skin settings and color of the suit, you could do it as 2 material preset, one for the character and one for the suit.

Else you can save character and suit as a scene subset, and for changing you need to delete or hide your original character and load the new (character + suit) subset.

For cameras and light you can save them as presets, or include them in a scene subset.

Try in DS to look at File > Save as ... and see the different options.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,358
    edited July 27

If you want a material preset which changes materials for both the figure and items parented to it, you can save a hierarchical material preset.

Post edited by Leana on
    edited July 27

How do I load a Preset or Subset?

Is it just opening a saved Preset and clicking on it?

For presets select the object to use it on in scenetab, and doubleclick the preset in your content library.

For scene subset, doublleclick your subset in the content library, and they will merge into the scene.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,075

Wearables and Character presets do load content items, the others are just settings (though dForm presets spawn new node(s))

edited July 29

Leana said:

If you want a material preset which changes materials for both the figure and items parented to it, you can save a hierarchical material preset.

Thanks to the members answering my barrage of question and issues. learning day by day.

@Leana

I tried hierarchical preset for skin and suit. I get a error warning come up. I did not take a snip of the log but I can try to replicate the error again if needed.

Jill H1

When trying to load I select the character and try to apply it.

@

@felis  Saving just Jill as Subset Preset worked as I just selected Jill and the suit. I manually changed each Surface setting using the snips. I could not just select say just skin though. I tried Material Preset but it added more entires to the Surfaces tab. I'm not sure it worked. I could not select just Skin to view the values to check if it worked. There were sub entires tied to it preventing me unless there's a way around it? Is there just a Skin Preset Save As option?

For the hieracical error you need to see what the log says. Although I would think you only should have the character selected when you apply it. In the 3rd screenshot you have collapsed Jill, so it can not be seen if you only have the character selected.

In a scene subset, you cannot just select the skin, as a scene subset is not applying, it is merging, and therefore has to be objects (at least to my knowledge).

A Material preset is the surfaces for one object. In the pop-up box you can select which surfaces, and which subitems, in case you don't wan't all surface settings.

edited July 29

@felis This is how I'm making a Material Preset. Probably incorrect.

I save a Material Preset file.

These are the listings/settings of the skin I want to make a preset from. Should I include Skin-Lips-Nails ?

I get the Material Preset options. I can't Find just Skin, so I keep what's selected.

This what I have selected in Scene and Surfaces tabs.

Then it adds all the sub entires under Surfaces. When I click on just skin, the added entries are tied to the new entires from the Material preset and I want show say the Translucency weight value. It should be 0.10 as shown previously, now ?

Skin is: Arms, Ears, Face, Legs and Torso. Whether you want to include Nails and Lips, is up to you.

Then for the selected surfaces you can expand them, and deselect parameters you do not want to include in the material settings, e.g. Translucency.

edited July 29

Need save the Full Skin as a Material Preset. What I don't understand is, why is it adding more sub items under the Surface sub items when it is applied? (As shown in the last 2 pictures I embeded).

Why I have question marks<?> says for Translucency Weight? I try to deselect the new sub items but it won't allow me for some reason.

You get question marks when you have selected items that have different values.

The surfaces in your image is not coming from your material setting, they are from the character itself. The material setting might have activated a channel that has given more fields. Try to scroll up to the top of the settings.