bvh import

hello everybody

i work with a mocap system. when i import the bvh file on a "older" and selling figures, does the movement well.

But on the new figure (Genesis 3 Male / Michael 7 ) i have a fail in the movement. it transmits the bones not right. in exactly the same import settings as the old figures.

i can not find the error. i can also adjust the joints nowhere.

i hope someone can help me.

Syd

Comments

• You cana djust which bones in the BVH map to which bones on the target figure in the options dialogue. Genesis 3 does have additional bones which will require a rethink on your settings, at least.

• thank you for your quick reply.

therein lies my problem.  i the import options, i can not adjust much. ( Picture )

Can i customize this in the program ? if yes, where ? i have tried many ways. or i can make the joints toward to zero ?

bvh import.PNG
    1107 x 910 - 76K
  • You should be able to select bones on the right to match those on the left, as I recall. I can't immediately find a BVH file to test it on.

• Hello

i have the problem, unfortunately, unable to solve. but i have found a post.

"You'd need the animate converser product to convert Gen4/Genesis/Genesis 2 animations to be used on Genesis 3. There's no real issue with aniMate, the reason the animations don't work is because

A) Genesis 3's joint nodes are named differently, and

B) DAZ had additionally split "Bend" and "Twist" for most joints into two seperate nodes, when those had been a single node on Gen4/Genesis/Genesis 2. sad"

ist that so ? and the converter tool is only for female.

it would be very unfortunate if the new figures ar no longer bvh compatible. unfortunately i did not have time to rework any animation manuel.

at michael 7, i have the whole joints switches hiearchy after the bvh file. with adjust the joints and renam. it does not work.

where is the blockade ?

• Mad_Dog,

I think that you are seeing either the same problem or a similar enough one that I'm seeing.  Wish I had a resolution for you.  

Search the forum for my thread:  Importing .BVH file from iPiSoft questions

I included a .BVH file upload and a description of the problem for anyone who wanted to test it out.  I would be curious to know once you have read my thread if you agree or not that it is the same issue.

• Hello Christopher

I read your thread. Yes i think it`s the same problem. I have the weekend trying to figure out a very long time, where the fault lies. I`ve tried several variations with Michael 7 in my 3D program.

I`ve found, when i adjust the bones in DAZ, export FBX, than i can reflect the animation. This goes without problems. The problem is, that the Bodymesh does not fit. because the missing between bones.

If i export the Michael 7 Original, and the same reflections make, I have the same mistake as in the DAZ. My guess. The new figures are made too complex, they have too many Bones.

2 Bones in his thigh ??  4 Bones through the whole arm ?  Why ? or it lacks an IK chain link, for compatibility with mocap data.

as i said, i think the bones between the block connections to the figure for the bvh file.

If i`m wrong please correct me. (i find it very unfortunable, was not seen this connection in construct.)

• Hello Richard

I progressed a step. I delete the Left Shoulder Twist- Snap the Left Shoulder Bend to the end and my bvh file "works for half". now, i lack the twist property, because it was linked with the twist bone.

I tried create a new twist property, go to ERC freeze. But it does not work. How i can givethe Left Shoulder Bend a new and own twist proberty ?

• I'm not quite clear on what you have done. or what you want to do next.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited February 2016

To be frankly said,, you can not expect the general bvh work well with genesis3 .

without you re-modify the bvh .

as you said already,, genesis3 actually use  two bones for three rotation.

"twist" node  is used for twist rotation only, and "bend" is for another axiis  rotations.

but usually most of bvh not made by this type rigging.

eg,,  suppose the original bvh,, it record  "node1"  x, y, z, rotation on each key frame..

but genesis3 have two node,, "node1_bend", and "node1_twist" to move same area .(actually it use two different weight map assgined for each nodes)

then suppose,,,, about the node1,,  twist roation is Z axis..

when you use the original bvh for genesis3,, you need to copy and paste,, node1 z roation value , for node1_twist,, z rotation. but x, y value keep zero..

and  copy and paste node1 x, y, roation for node1_bend x, y, rotations. (z rotaiton keep zero value ) about all keys.

but there is no way, to set rotation value like that when you import bvh.

and even though you can divide and re-assgined x, y, z roation value (of one node with one general map)  to "twist" and "bend" node,(of two nodes different weight map)

actually,, it must need re-fine for genesis3..   original is generated with one weight map for three rotation, but genesis3 use two different weight map.

it seems critical for me.. ( though it may not cause heavy problem if you hope to animate genesis3 as same as original motion,

you must feel it is wrong.)

If the bvh motion are captured  with the DAZ genesis3type RIG,, you may only need to re-assign each rigs coreclty.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • The new figures have 4 bones in the arms. two of which are twists. this block my bvh file. if i delete the twist bone, deletes it me the twist in the Bend Bone. because the twist property there is only a link to the twist bone twist property. How i can create a new twist property for the shoulder bend bones ? as it has male in gene 2.

DIFFERENCE.png
    931 x 730 - 289K
    edited February 2016

actuall twist properties are hidden and locked limit , then it can visible when you set property so.

but you should not delete twist node, for import bvh . because,, when you import bvh,, ds can not set key for the hidden property,(bend node, twist rotation) I think. After I reply above,, I check actually import bvh for genesis3 female, which I used for genesis1 and genesis2, then set assgin bones.

sorry. I was wrong. because,, I feel I could assgin correctly nodes,, then ds record original key values for Alias too. then ds seems  not set value for hidden locked proeprties.

that means,, , which bone I assign about same name node, the motion become same.

eg I can set arm node for arm_twist, or arm_bend.. there is no actuall difference about motion,, I think.

Ds auto divide twist rotation for twist node,, bend and side-to side rotation for bend node (as same as when I pose genesis3 on daz studio) 

(now I am test how it work again,, it seems wrong too >

though the animation are far from which I see about genesis2 and genesis.

then,, you should not delete any node for  genesis3 .or you will lost many function,, I beleive.

you sould modify imported animation,,  if you need..  I think.

• Thank you for your explanation kitakoredaz. I`m trying to understand this ;-)

edited February 2016

No sorry ><;  I have not expected, it work well for genesis3,,,then  after genessi3 released I have not used any bvh for genesis3.

then now I am actually test bvh for genesis3,,

then,,,I think,,,, there seems no way to set node correctly,,, now I load two genesis3, then import same bvh, and test again,,

then one is assigned twist node only, one is assgined bend node only,, it seems different ><;

(I promise to test more,, then tell you, what I could,,, but you should not tweak (delete or edit) node of genesis3 directly,,)

you may need to tweak bvh, or imported animation only..

edited February 2016

OK,, Now I could understand how DS try to assgin bvh for genesis3node, when import bvh (human type rigging)

ds seems to assign original bvh node to the "twist" node as default.not use"bned" node, if there are two nodes.

And it must be wrong..    because , generated keys not include any "bend" and "side to side" infomation,,for both bend, and twist node.

only twist rotation value are recorded. (it should be same value for twist and bend node)

then I try to re-assgin ,, not use "twist" but "bend".

eg  original sholder >> assgin sholder_bend,   (before it assgined for twist node)

original  Right Hip >> assign Right thigh bend,  (before it assgined for Right thigh twist)

original Right Knee>>assgin Right Shin bend.  (before I assgined for Right shin twist)

at first seeing,, it seems record all rotation value for bend and twist nodes,, but,, it was wrong,,

the start pose seems change (maybe zero pose of original is different)  rotation value, but after that

all frame keep same "bend" and "side to side" rotation value..  and it only record "twist rotation" too,,,

(though slightly different from which I first set genesis3 twist rotation,,  maybe delta value is same)

to clearly see it,, I import same bvh for genesis2female,,, then set as same as before (genesis2female have only one name node,

not have bend and twist set (parented) node,,, but I keep same node name to assgin)

Actually it is perfectly different,, because about genesis3,, how I assgin node,, every pair node(bend and twist) only record twist value.

there seems  no way to assgin node correctly when import bvh,, I believe.  (or tweaking hidden property ?  or need to edit dsf files?  I do not know,,)

===========

then I find one usage,, I can make team dance animation,, from one bvh,, use twin G3 as  backup dancer for G2 angel

(sorry,,,I am not useful,,)

bvh1.PNG
    1517 x 832 - 334K
    bvh2.PNG
    1515 x 721 - 250K
    bvh3.PNG
    1138 x 827 - 257K
  • Yes, i have tried a lot. Thanks for your help. The bvh file come from my mocap system, this i can not change.

This twist bones bothers me. unfortunately i do unterstand exactly what you mean. This is not a solution ?

Maybe Now I can confirm,, there seems no way to import bvh for genesis3 as default.

because, how I assgin node,,at least  these set nodes, (Thigh, sholder, forarms)  never record bend and side-side way rotation value.

it is perfectly no meaning ,,,

then I understand now why you plan to edit node directly. but it should be difficult,, when you remove node,, DS will auto-circulate

weight map assgined for delete node, then transfer it to parent nodes.  then it must cause problem.

you may need carefully re-color weight map,, I think.

And DS pose tools seems see Alias value, not see hidden rotation value. (though we can actually tweak hidden rotation,

eg I can side to side, or bend,, about twist node too,, if you tweak parameter setting (though usually I may not suggest it ,,)

anyway,, if you try to modify nodes, then hope to see hidden nodes, 

1 set parameter setting, as "show hidden prperties"

now I select Left Thigh bend node.  

then check each actuall rotation properties with edit mode.. I can find A and P.  P is real rotation prpoerties.

that means,, Left Thigh bend > "twist" is Alias node which assgined for "Left Thigh  twist",

A is alias properties, then as default,, user see Alias properties only..

2  now you see hidden Y rotate ,it is actual twist node,, for Left Thigh bend . then set parameter limit off.

now you can rotate it, and change Y rotate value.. after you limit off,, when you use pose tool (track ball),, the Alias twist value never change.

only the hidden Y rotation value should change. (I do not know,, how ds work so)

I do not know,, now you can import bvh and assgin twist value for the bend node twist.

===============

maybe if I were you, I do not try edit default figure node,, though if it work,, I can not use many contents for the figure,,

then I am now thinking,, most of genesis3female pose and genesis3male pose are compatible.

then I may import bvh for genesis2female,, then use conversion scirpt (in daz shop ^^;),

and use the animation (after save it as aniblock or pose sequence files)  for genesis3male,, it seems not cause many problem I believe.

at least it is more easy ^^;

hiddennode.PNG
    1444 x 699 - 255K
    edited February 2016

you seems genious.   after I remove all twist nodes, (it should remove all alias properties)

then set hidden twist paramters (for bend nodes) as visible, and remove lock,, and remove limit, in paramter setting,(like my pic)

I can import bvh without re-assign (maybe it just use bend node (there is no twist node anymore)

though I believe,, the genesis3figure not real  dual quartanion rigging figure anymore (though weight map circulation is same,,

but weight map change for twist node,, then make corrupse with some posing (and the weight map should be include deleted weight map whihch assgined for twist nodes, the pose may not sme before,,)

but your way actually work to import general bvh files. 

(I think you can understand,,, what I taking ^^;)

========

then,, how can I save current new riggend bvh compatible genesis3female?

maybe memorize rigging, and save as scene subset OK?  with keep default genesis3,,,,

I hope many test with new bvh compatible genesis3female,, (hope  most of morphs and clothing work too,,,><;)

bvh4.PNG
    1487 x 831 - 258K
    bvh5.PNG
    1507 x 889 - 297K
    bvh6.PNG
    1487 x 755 - 265K

saved subset work well ^^,,,  only one thing I found is,, when I apply saved character preest for new bvh compatible gen3F

it return,, lmit and hidden setting which I removed before,,, but maybe it is good enough for ds animation to import bvhs  thanks,,

now my chara return dancing without new aniblock etc ^^;

dance.PNG
    1281 x 851 - 279K
  • Thank you very mutch kitakoredaz.

Iìl Try that.

you found answer by your self ,, smiley  i simply gave up before..

but hope you send bug reprot, and daz confirm it as real problem, and find way improt bvh correctly, witout tweaking rigs much.

ort gen3 figures can not import any bvh  devil

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Is there any plan to re-release the aniMate series of animation products for Genesis 3 figures? 

• bailaowaibailaowai Posts: 44

kitakoredaz, your posts on this thread are massively helpful.  Thank you for doing this work.  I'm surprised that Daz has broken BVH compatibility for Gen3, but I'm glad you've helped us find at least a workaround for now.