FBX import issues

I was looking at learning how someone was putting together their figures, they sold them for a few bucks, they are a take off a MLP type but bipedal.  I use FBX import in Carrara and the eyes are moved out to one area, a couple of other parts are moved to another.  I tried the FBX Converter from autodesk, loads fine in there (displayes inside the viewer fine).  I exported every version of FBX it has and the same thing happens.  I import into DS and comes in just fine.  Anyone else have wonkeyness with FBX?  The files are pretty small.  I got the files as .obj as well, just thought I would see how the FBX worked.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm about to test out some FBX out. Do you have C8 or 8.5?

I remember something about FBX not working so well in 8, but that it was fixed in 8.5

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

I'm running 8.1 - fbx import from Blender works fine in Carrara (the only way I can get G3 rigged and textured into Carrara is by exporting from Studio as dae, importing into Blender then exporting as fbx) but not in Studio or Bryce.  Export and re-import from Carrara works in Carrara and Bryce, but not in Studio or Blender.

So, it very much depends on which app the fbx was exported from - never had any luck trying to convert using the Autodesk converter.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

I am using the latest 8.5 pro, I had heard the same thing Dartanbeck, then I couldn't find the thread and thought wait a min maybe they said it was broken in 8.5 and they copied a .dll or other file from a previous installation now that I remember a bit more. 

Yeah it imports to blender, DS, autodesk viewer just fine, just blows up bits and parts in Carrara. 

I am going to see if I can find that thread about that again.  I have some FBX from wowmodelviewer and had a little isse with the FBX but ddnt get to nail that down so I wll have to see if what I did there works in DS and Carrara or not.

Thanks for the input.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Why not try importing to Blender, then exporting as a new fbx to Carrara?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

If you can open the FBX in Daz Studio,. Save that as a DUF scene and open that in Carrara .

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

...or even export as CR2?